Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rant on Resmed N20's terrible design that causes TMJ issues
Rant on Resmed N20's terrible design that causes TMJ issues
N20 has terrible design. I do not know why they designed the top of the cushion with an opening that leak air.  It's much easier to leak than Respironics Wisp.  

Also, the plastic frame, and the magnetic attachment that sticks out causes TMJ issues when sleeping on the side.  They should design the frame like the Wisp, low profile, and the magnetic attachment to not stick out. They should give the option of not using the magnetic attachment to lower the profile than cause TMJ issues! It pokes and pushes against your jaw!!

My jaw joint gotten inflammation real bad, and then I realized that it was the N20 causing it. I want to let everybody aware that it will cause TMJ issues due to it's poor design.

I have a dilemma here. N20 has better airflow (when not leaking!) than Wisp due to it's proper vent design, but Wisp not causing TMJ since I can take out the magnetic attachment, and the frame is low profile. If I were to design the mask, I would combine the best features of the two masks, and give the customer the option to ditch the magnetic attachment for low profile, so it doesn't cause TMJ issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rant on Resmed N20's terrible design that causes TMJ issues
I'm sorry you've had issues.

I've had 5 or 6 of these masks....ResMed N20i's. I've used medium and large inserts. The mask with the Large insert has a larger headgear.

I have had issues with my soft cervical collar popping the magnetic fasteners off the bottom straps.

My DME supplier supplied the wrong size mask for me. There's a fit gauge in the mask box that let me size the mask.

I hope you solve your mask issues. I've tried the newer mask. The N30i, and the P30i (I had a cut on the top of my nose from putting the hose into the mask roughly. It took a while to heal. That's why I tried the other two masks.

I use a soft cervical collar too. That's what pops the mag straps off. Fixed it. Used adhesive tape to reduce the height of the cervical collar.

Hope this helps. Perhaps someone else has better ideas!

DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Just an FYI...

The Wiki has mask fitting guides for most of the common masks available today.  Select one, print it out, get your size.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ing_Guides

They may help if you are considering changing masks.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I want to correctly my original posting. I found out that it's the cervical collar that's causing the issue, not the N20. Apologies for the incorrect assumption.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 47 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 223 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 156 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.