Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Leaks
Mask Leaks
[parts of this thread were copied from the old forum]

Quote:Walking Dead Wrote:
Sep 12 2007, 10:01 PM Post #1

I use a couple different masks including the ComfortLite2 with the Simple Cushion as well as another one that uses pillow cushion type thingys. With every one I've tried, there is always a little leakage, so I was curious if that's normal and okay or if the perfect mask has no leakage.

Thanks!

WD

Quote:NHSkiGirl Wrote:
Sep 13 2007, 12:59 PM Post #2

The resp. therapist told me with the canula type of mask/thing that the leakage is just fine.

Quote:SuperSleeper Wrote:
Sep 14 2007, 02:16 AM Post #3

A somewhat "leaky" mask is not a problem, but rather a necessity. In fact, the air MUST go out of the mask at some point - most of it goes out of the exhalation holes, as designed, but some will go out in other places.

Fortunatly, most CPAP machines adjust pressure automatically for leaks to allow for several degrees of leakage, so it's really not a problem, UNLESS it's very excessive leakage and it becomes unbearable or uncomfortable.

In order to make a good seal, try adjusting forehead pads and straps to get a better fit. Tight straps don't always equal a good seal. Washing the mask daily with warm, soapy water and washing your face at night can help. You may need to have your supplier resize your mask, particularly if your weight changes a lot.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
http://www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

DONATE to Apnea Board

Change your own pressure - Get the Clinician Setup Manual for your CPAP here

Quote:gumbloid wrote:
Sep 14 2007, 08:22 AM Post #4

I often have to adjust the straps on my mask after a haircut. While it is true that some air must escape, excessive air might mean that you are not getting the full benefit of the machine. A CPAP technician once made a valuable recommendation to me:

Clean your mask about an hour before you go to sleep with a unscented baby wipe.

It helps to keep the mask clean and also creates a tighter seal for your face.

Quote:Walking Dead Wrote:
Sep 17 2007, 12:41 AM Post #5

Thanks for weighing in on question!

WD

Quote:kevin wrote:
Sep 19 2007, 05:22 PM Post #6

The keys I've found are:

+ Clean it at least once a week
+ Tighter does not always mean no leaks
+ proper sizing

I've been amazed when I thought I had the best size pillow chosen but was convinced to try the ones just larger and smaller to find that after a couple days I found an improved size.

I also have fought leaks by tightening to the max, more and more, while this can be helpful if you are are not getting improvement, trying loosening it up also as I have found with my current mask that a bit loose works far better than cranked up tight. Note I am talking specifically about pillows as I've never had any luck with the others.

I used to think no leaks was never going to be possible but my current mask works without any leaks and as soon as there is even a slight leak my wife lets me know.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 285 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 502 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.