Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i, with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Angry Rate your doctor
Having recently written a letter to my so called "sleep doctor" expressing my opinion of him and his department, doing a search I find there is a website here in the UK where you can make comments and give your quack a star rating.Dielaughing anonymous of course.

I was wondering if this was allowed in the States, and if in either country they were able to work out who the poster was, whether you could end up in court.
04-17-2016 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
0rangebear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSence 10
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: HumidAire (Built-in)
CPAP Pressure: APAP 12.8-15 EPR 3 (cmH2O)

Other Comments: Ramp off

RE: Rate your doctor
My experience in the US:

I have posted some negativity on Medical websites and gone back to see if there where any Reponses and my negative comments were gone/ deleted.

When I post positive comments they remain there for years.

(04-17-2016 10:24 AM)Phill Wrote:  Having recently written a letter to my so called "sleep doctor" expressing my opinion of him and his department, doing a search I find there is a website here in the UK where you can make comments and give your quack a star rating.Dielaughing anonymous of course.

I was wondering if this was allowed in the States, and if in either country they were able to work out who the poster was, whether you could end up in court.

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
04-17-2016 10:42 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

There are websites in the US where people rate doctors.
There are sites where one can review everything from their gardener to the local sandwich shop.

Nothing is truly anonymous on the web. So, a poster could be identified.

Posting an opinion usually is not actionable. Posting negative information that is true does not constitute libel nor slander.

One must keep in mind that anyone can sue for anything; whether the case has merit is to be determined.

I would think that in the UK and US that a person could end up in court having to prove that what they posted is true.

Society has become very litigious. I can envision a case where a person posts a positive review of some person or business entity; then gets sued by a person who relied on that information. The legal theory is known as detrimental reliance.

I have observed that when asking a doctor for an opinion of another doctor, that silence is usually a sign of a low opinion.

In my career field, I stopped giving references when asked by prospective employers and by the US government regarding security access.
I could see where it could come back to bite me.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 11:06 AM by justMongo.)
04-17-2016 10:57 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Phill Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto Set

Other Comments:

"I have posted some negativity on Medical websites and gone back to see if there where any Reponses and my negative comments were gone/ deleted."

Well what a surprise that is!DielaughingDielaughing

Think I will give it a week to see if I get any response from him before posting any adverse comments on the site.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 11:02 AM by Phill.)
04-17-2016 11:01 AM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

(04-17-2016 10:57 AM)justMongo Wrote:  I have observed that when asking a doctor for an opinion of another doctor, that silence is usually a sign of a low opinion.

I recently had such an opportunity to ask the 'advance practice nurse' who works with my family doctor of her opinion of the orthpedic doctors group that works for the same health care system as the family doctor. She was super slowwww.......in answering and when she did - it was definitely negative. She then added that I could do my own research of the area doctors and perhaps find one who was more personable than their group. To me that says she doesn't have a lot of confidence in the group ortho doctors.
04-17-2016 02:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PoolQ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6.2, 15, PS4.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

This is about the same as defending the educational status of this forum, if it is challenged with the filing of a law suit, then the side will close. No matter right or wrong you had better have the cash to back up what you are saying and be very careful of how you say it.

I personally know of a person that hired a contractor and gave a very bad review for something that I considered to be my friends lack of communication. He posted many anonymous bad reviews about the contractor and then got notified via his anonymous email address that the review site was being subpoenaed for his contact information.

You better be right and better be willing to spend money to prove it, lots of money.
04-17-2016 04:09 PM
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View FFM
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 13.4

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

I had to contact my health care company due to reaching the age of 65 and having to register for Medicare. They wouldn't pay my DME until I registered Medicare as a co-pay. I commented to the insurance rep that the DME was way overcharging, for example, $16 for one of the paper filters that goes into my A10. She didn't seem to care....

Sleep is worth the effort.
04-17-2016 07:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Phill Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

A comment quite often made on the site is that if you are unhappy with any part of your treatment find another medic, the trouble is we run a different system.

I considered that my diagnosis and treatment by the drones in the department was abysmal, stuff this I thought, I will pay to have a consultation with the senior man in the area, he just happens to be head of the department running the poorly performing drones.
Clearly there is no way he is going to criticise or overrule members of his own department, so as we say over here, I am well and truly stuffed.

As for being taken to court for complaining, I will just plead insanity.Dielaughing
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 09:08 AM by Phill.)
04-18-2016 09:05 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Please do not take this as an offense against your country... I see this as a failure of a National Health System.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-18-2016 09:36 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Phill Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

jM,
No offense taken at all, I have made my feelings on this subject perfectly clear in the past.

What the answer is I do not know, but the message I get is that the present system is unsustainable especially as in many places with our aging populations.
A system that is seen as "free" is always going to be taken advantage of.

I take it you are aware that your President Obama is coming to see us this week.Sad
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2016 10:35 AM by Phill.)
04-19-2016 10:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question about low heart rate me50 16 720 06-22-2016 04:32 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  How to protect yourself from deadly bacteria in hospitals doctor and dentist office me50 3 764 02-27-2015 11:25 PM
Last Post: archangle