Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Rate the Health Care Professional who deals with your Sleep Disorders
This poll is closed.
I am impressed with my Physician
13.70%
10 13.70%
I am not impressed with my Physician
5.48%
4 5.48%
My Physician is only ‘so-so’
6.85%
5 6.85%
I regret my selection of a Physician
1.37%
1 1.37%
My questions and concerns are promptly addressed
17.81%
13 17.81%
Appointments are obtained within a week
8.22%
6 8.22%
Appointments take a reasonable time
10.96%
8 10.96%
Appointment a month or more out are commonplace
8.22%
6 8.22%
As a whole I am impressed
16.44%
12 16.44%
As a whole I am unimpressed
10.96%
8 10.96%
Total 73 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Rating your Sleep Physician or Health Care Professional
Rating your Sleep Physician or Health Care Professional
In the good old U.S. of A. healthcare from the patient point of view has evolved to the point of literally heading down the toilet.  Probably it is still better than in the rest of the world but my point is to degradation of health care.  From what I have seen here others share my opinion.  It would be interesting to poll the Apnea Board members for their opinions, especially in the sleep disorders arena.

Mark any question that applies to the Doctor or Physician's Assistant who works directly with your sleep disorder.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rating your Sleep Physician or Health Care Professional
The question that is missing is:

I manage my own care with the assistance and support of my physician...things are great!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2017, 04:20 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The question that is missing is:

I manage my own care with the assistance and support of my physician...things are great!

The sleep apnea market is one that is ripe for disruption.  You could be part of it . . .
Post Reply Post Reply

One of the jobs I had in the military was writing and proofing tech-training questions/manuals on missile systems. (along with a half-dozen or so instructors)
We would all proof and kick around each others multiple-choice work until they were perfect. Inevitably a recruit would question something about some of them and make a good case for his 'wrong' answer. 
Moral of the story, $h*t Happens Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
For the next poll iteration, perhaps there can be a little change in the wording.

I am (impressed, satisfied, unimpressed, disgusted) with my physician. This may be a semantic argument and a distinction without a difference, but in the world of objective market research, the difference is significant.

A few other questions ...

My primary caregiver is a (physician, assistant, respiratory tech, other).
My doctor looks at my (summary, detailed) data beyond compliance requirements.
My doctor/medical group uses a specific DME.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2017, 04:26 PM)VladimirTrotzskyi Wrote:

The sleep apnea market is one that is ripe for disruption.  You could be part of it . . .

Disruption?  Dude! I'm doing my best.  My doctor is just an enabler.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2017, 05:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 04:26 PM)VladimirTrotzskyi Wrote:

Disruption?  Dude! I'm doing my best.  My doctor is just an enabler.

Do you see disruption as disintermediation of the DME in favor of manufacturer-Amazon-Consumer logistics?
Do you see disruption as more home testing in the absence of severe co-morbidities?
I would like to know your vision for disruption.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I voted, but I am in the UK (Scotland) and I have the NHS (National Health Service) and a lot here depends on where you are in the UK, but I am in Scotland, so it is not to bad here, I have not seen a doctor in around 16 years, only the Sleep Nurse.  They Sleep Nurses may be better equiped to deal with most patients here, but after you have been diagnosed, sorted out, the only time you might see a doctor of any kind is if you have a problem.  Here they are mostly attached to the Chest Clinic as they think here that Sleep Apnea is a breathing problem.  I don't think they really understood it at the start, but that is how it fits in here (Mostly) and only in the two main Scottish hospitals are they on their own.
I dealt with my Sleep Apnea (I always have to try to remember to spell it the American way and not Apnoea as it is here) seriously from the start and never accepted what they told me.  In the end they asked me what pressure I thought I should be on and let me get on with it.
However, they did stop when I reached 18 on CPAP as I was using Nasal Pillows.  I think 16 would have been enough, but they always leaked, so I got them put up to 18 to cover the leaks.  I know I had a few centrals, but I just had to weight up what was worst.
I got on so well they turned round and said they didn't want to see me for 5 years unless I had a problem.  I just phoned if I needed a part/spare or the machine broke down, by the time I got there there was another machine waiting set up how I wanted it (but they would always check, just in case I had changed something), spares arrived by post.  I don't think I can knock the service I have had, but at the Start I had a 400mile round trip, does not sound a lot, but on these roads it can be frustrating 4am start and 8pm return, when I was being diagnosed it was a bit of a struggle.  But after I got the machine I could drive all day, all night and most of the next day with no problems.
I think I am getting a better service now than I have ever had here, the hospital is now only 12 miles away and quick to send parts, masks or get another machine ready after a breakdown.  Only problem is they are not open in the Weekend, guess when a machine would breakdown?  Yess, you guessed it, Friday night after that part of the hospital closed.  That is why I now have a spare machine as it might be Tuesday or I got another, just because they didn't get much time on a Monday to deal with all the messages over the weekend.
But I have no complaints, here in Scotland we got our CPAPs free on the NHS, in England they had to pay for them, but that has now changed and they also get them free.
Did you have time to read this book Laugh-a-lot
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, Interesting Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2017, 05:21 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: For the next poll iteration, perhaps there can be a little change in the wording.

I am (impressed, satisfied, unimpressed, disgusted) with my physician. This may be a semantic argument and a distinction without a difference, but in the world of objective market research, the difference is significant.

A few other questions ...

My primary caregiver is a (physician, assistant, respiratory tech, other).
My doctor looks at my (summary, detailed) data beyond compliance requirements.
My doctor/medical group uses a specific DME.

I was only considering entry-level questions to see IF other geographical areas are as screwed-up as it seems to be where I am.  If they are, I can accept it.  If not, well at least then I know I erred in my selection process.
You are thinking second-tier.. Go for it.  It's fine with me Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 89 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 162 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 201 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Cool [Health] FYI: OSA AND EYE HEALTH srlevine1 2 305 01-27-2024, 01:54 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.