Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Rate the Health Care Professional who deals with your Sleep Disorders
This poll is closed.
I am impressed with my Physician
13.70%
10 13.70%
I am not impressed with my Physician
5.48%
4 5.48%
My Physician is only ‘so-so’
6.85%
5 6.85%
I regret my selection of a Physician
1.37%
1 1.37%
My questions and concerns are promptly addressed
17.81%
13 17.81%
Appointments are obtained within a week
8.22%
6 8.22%
Appointments take a reasonable time
10.96%
8 10.96%
Appointment a month or more out are commonplace
8.22%
6 8.22%
As a whole I am impressed
16.44%
12 16.44%
As a whole I am unimpressed
10.96%
8 10.96%
Total 73 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Rating your Sleep Physician or Health Care Professional
RE: Rating your Sleep Physician or Health Care Professional
(11-18-2017, 02:28 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Maybe most of us don't think we have a sleep physician... I saw mine when we looked over my first sleep test, then after the titration when he gave me a prescription, then six months later for first review. I showed him my SleepyHead stats, and he said all those numbers just confuse most people... Then he moved away to the next suburb (too far for no car) without telling me... I know where the rest of the clinic partners moved, but why bother?

Maybe "all those numbers just confuse people" included him? Grin     "Why Bother" should  have been a selection response, sorry!

Good point you make but the question comes to mind, "Do people in this classification need to produce a physicians authorization for a 5-year replacement on their machine to be paid by medicare or insurance?"
Post Reply Post Reply
>>>the question comes to mind, "Do people in this classification need to produce a physicians authorization for a 5-year replacement on their machine to be paid by medicare or insurance?"
<<<
I don't know the rule for that with respect to Ontario's Assistive Device Program. I'm coming up on three years, so maybe I should check with my ADP authorised DME and insurance company.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes you need to have a Doctor verify that the Treatment is effective and you are compliant. Your Family Doctor or Dentist can do it.

It's one of the reasons you want to keep a copy of your sleep study. You probably need to show the Doctor a printout showing your usage hours and average AHI so he can use that for the paperwork for insurance and/or medicare.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
My wife got her Dreamstation back in July for her medication induced CAs. She managed to make her 30 day compliance even with all the problems with her mask (Amara View) - face swelled up, allergic to something in the headgear to name a few items. We managed to get a new mask which seams much better except she feels the machine isn't putting out enough pressure. She met with the sleep doc once and she was signed off as compliant. We have talked to the respiratory therapist the DME uses about her issues and tried to get her to make adjustments to get her to be able to use the machine. Nope, can't do it as the doctor's office has to request the change. She gave me some suggested changes and I made them (have the magic book). Within 24 hours they were remotely changed back. Bo real problem with that. Here is the issue:

We have called the sleep docs office 6 times and left messages. We have gone to the office and were told there was no one there who could see my wife. The respiratory therapist has attempted to call and she has also been blown off. No responses to any of our calls. I was able to get my wife over to my sleep doc who was flabbergasted with what was going on. He looked at her sleep study (initial and titration) and said we will get this fixed. We have been playing telephone tag with his sleep technician to confirm the info we had given him and to get together and set up the machine. He has already told us that as part of his doctor's order the modem will be deactivated and "he" will control the settings. He also asked us to provide him with the dates and times we called and he is going to get the same info from the therapist as he is planning on following up on this as we are not the first ones with that particular clinic.

So, my wife has gone from an example of how not to treat a patient to how to do it correctly. BTW, although it was her appointment, he asked how I felt my treatment was going. Just a brief question, but shows the care he takes.

I will update as the saga continues.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
H, sounds like you're on the right track, meanwhile you should implement.

Option 2...Airplane mode or modemectomy.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried Airplane Mode and got a phone call as to why we were in it. Amazing, even though the machine is really being used, they still try to read it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are past compliance...let em complain. (middle finger implied)

I don't know about you, but on my phone I can block nuisance callers. Also, you may request under your patient rights (HIPAA) that they only contact you by mail. These guys sound like a bad credit collector.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2017, 04:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You are past compliance...let em complain.  (middle finger implied)

I don't know about you, but on my phone I can block nuisance callers.

Can't really block them as my wife's respiratory therapist, who is on our side and working with us on this, often calls in from the same exchange. I usually let if go to the answering machine before I pick it up.

Hopefully this will be a done issue within the next week.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the last 3 years I have seen the nurse practitioner rather than my Dr. He had no interest in discussing CPAP data. The nurse seems to understand the equipment a little better and is at least interested in my AHI numbers. From my discussions with her, however, I'm convinced I understand it better than she does. So my once a year copay is just the fee for staying in therapy. I really get no benefit from the visits.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor is Apnea Board. I never actually met my "real" sleep doc, just the therapist who was brilliant. But having got my ASV dialled in with the help of members here, there's been no need to go back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 90 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 205 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Cool [Health] FYI: OSA AND EYE HEALTH srlevine1 2 306 01-27-2024, 01:54 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.