Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Re events per hour and ahi
Re events per hour and ahi
Hi I have resmed 10 for her what is the difference with events per hour and  ahi also does the events per hour need to match the ahi
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Re events per hour and ahi
Welcome to the forum

Read "Understanding sleep apnea" in the first link in my signature.  The send article explains your question.

AHI is a sum of OA, CA, and H events divided by the number of hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2017, 05:27 PM)bonjour Wrote: Welcome to the forum

Read "Understanding sleep apnea" in the first link in my signature.  The send article explains your question.

AHI is a sum of OA, CA, and H events divided by the number of hours.

Thank you not able to find link
Post Reply Post Reply
click on "New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success"  which is in my signature (1st of 2 links)
Post Reply Post Reply
I think events per hour vs AHI is a difference in math. I think.

Events per hour are all the events put together then averaged by the number of hours. So 16 events during 8 hrs is 2.

AHi takes each individual part, does the math, then adds them together and does more math. But it uses minutes, not hours and is more accurate because it doesn't round up. There may be only a slight difference between the two. Say 2.3 vs 2.2

I think.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2017, 04:12 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I think events per hour vs AHI is a difference in math. I think.

Events per hour are all the events put together then averaged by the number of hours. So 16 events during 8 hrs is 2.

AHi takes each individual part, does the math, then adds them together and does more math. But it uses minutes, not hours and is more accurate because it doesn't round up. There may be only a slight difference between the two. Say 2.3 vs 2.2

I think.

Paula,

I tried to test how AHI is computed and the only way that I could make the math work was to divide the total number of "events" by the number of "hours" and fraction of an hour. This method gave me results identical to what SH was showing. 

OP, a couple things to remember: 1) You have to depend on your machine keeping correct track of the number of SA "events", and 2) the number of hours used in the calculation is really the total hours from the moment you turn the machine on to the moment you turn it off - - the machine cannot tell if you are asleep or not. Therefore, if you have trouble sleeping some nights and are just laying there staring at the ceiling, your AHI will improve the longer that you are awake (no events when awake while increasing the time the machine "thinks" you are asleep). Very easy to see this unavoidable error: say you wake-up at 5AM for a bathroom trip. You turn your machine off and it will display the calculated AHI upto that time. You come back to bed a couple minutes later and turn your machine back on, but instead of falling back asleep you just lay there until say 7AM and then turn off the machine to get up. I promise you that the new AHI displayed will be a little better than the 5AM number. No events when awake, but the machine assumes that you were asleep between 5-7AM. The best possible AHI "0" will always happen if you are awake all night and not sleep a second. Naturally, it is possible to get a "0" and really sleep all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2017, 05:16 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: Hi I have resmed 10 for her what is the difference with events per hour and  ahi also does the events per hour need to match the ahi

Events per Hour is AHI for last night or previous day (midday to midday) 
AHI which is displayed at the bottom part of the sleep report is the AHI for the period selected, default set to "1 Month" 
If "period" changed  to "1 Day", the AHI displayed will match the "Events per Hour" which is displayed at the top part of the sleep report. Whenever the machine unplugged, period revert back to "1 Month" 

AirSense 10 instructions and how to ask for the clinical manual via email http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsens...setup-info
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 351 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 178 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 772 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.