Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Re trying .....
Re trying .....
This is my first post, 
I am lying trying to get rid of the feeling that I can't breath properly.  

Let me explain a little - I was diagnosed about 4 years ago with severe obstructive sleep apne, have my machine but was not very persistent using it - so honestly it has sat packed away for a few years!  My husband has taken to the couch at the moment as I wake him up a lot and he panics.  Recently I have been having episodes waking up and then panic Attack's over thinking not waking up.  So I have scared myself into re trying!  
Any tips are very welcome, I am feeling ........blocked up ears from the pressure ....is this normal.? Like I am not getting enough so have to open my mouth for a fuller breaths.  One side gets a more open passage..... can't relax..... how long did most people taken for this to feel normal or do you still prefer a night without?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Re trying .....
Hi Tamerind, welcome to the forum. Your profile indicates you are using a Resmed with a pressure range of 4-20, so you either have a S9 or Airsense 10 Autoset (hopefully not an old S9 Escape). We need to get you comfortable with this machine, and using a staring pressure of 4-cm is probably too low for comfort and efficacy, and the maximum pressure may be way too high. Another capability your machine has is EPR (exhale relief pressure), which can proved 1 to 3 cm of pressure relief during exhale. This setting can make therapy a lot more comfortable and can have therapeutic applications.

The best way to get a handle on your therapy is to use the free #Sleepyhead software. It is much better than the ResScan you indicate you are currently using, and you can use the links in my signature to learn to organize and post the charts to the forum.

Download the software, and post back with the model of machine you are actually using. If you know your AHI and the type of events and actual pressure range your machine is delivering, we can discuss that. Otherwise, I'm going to make a preliminary suggestion that you make the following setting changes to your machine. Use these links to learn how to make setting changes:
Airsense 10 Autoset: https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info
S9 Autoset: https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Mode: Autoset
Minimum Pressure: 6.0
Maximum Pressure: 14.0
EPR: ON,
EPR Setting Full Time, 2.0
Mask Setting: Nasal
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Tamirind, welcome!  I'm glad you've joined us but I'm very sad to hear of your difficulties – I'd like to be the only one who had those kinds of experiences. <shrug>  So I guess I'm not very unique. Dielaughing 

I discovered that I had sleep apnea when I mentioned to my doctor that I thought I was having heart problems.  I used to wake up terrified, heart racing, drenched in sweat, and unable to remember the nightmare that I assumed had woke me.  I can strongly relate to your difficulties!

This was so long ago (previous century) that the state-of-the-art machine I got was pretty much just a simple air pump.  And it did take a little effort to get used to the air being forced into my lungs.  Fortunately the therapist adjusted my machine very well and it didn't take long – within two weeks, maybe less – to get used to it.

Your complaints make me wonder about your pressure; as Sleeprider said, we really need information such as SleepyHead provides in order to give you specific and worthwhile suggestions.  Please do download and install it and get your data in charts that we can review.

In the meantime, one of the suggestions that has helped me a lot is to use your machine during some quiet time like when you're reading or watching TV.  This will help you get acclimated to it without it interfering with your sleep.

Please keep us posted on your progress!
Post Reply Post Reply
Managed 2 hours last night! There was a really irritating whistling sound which came from the water container- I discovered I could stop it by pushing slightly down but didn't help falling to sleep!! ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Tamarind, and welcome to Apnea Board!

You likely have a leak causing your whistling problem. It would be very helpful to know exactly what auto sense you have to accurately offer advice. A model number would help.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2018, 10:00 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Hi Tamerind, welcome to the forum.  Your profile indicates you are using a Resmed with a pressure range of 4-20, so you either have a S9 or Airsense 10 Autoset (hopefully not an old S9 Escape).  We need to get you comfortable with this machine, and using a staring pressure of 4-cm is probably too low for comfort and efficacy, and the maximum pressure may be way too high.  Another capability your machine has is EPR (exhale relief pressure), which can proved 1 to 3 cm of pressure relief during exhale.  This setting can make therapy a lot more comfortable and can have therapeutic applications.

The best way to get a handle on your therapy is to use the free [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] software.  It is much better than the ResScan you indicate you are currently using, and you can use the links in my signature to learn to organize and post the charts to the forum.  

Download the software, and post back with the model of machine you are actually using.  If you know your AHI and the type of events and actual pressure range your machine is delivering, we can discuss that.  Otherwise, I'm going to make a preliminary suggestion that you make the following setting changes to your machine. Use these links to learn how to make setting changes:

SR, Did you mean to suggest a "Nasal" for the mask setting? If so, I'm curious as to why? Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2018, 04:24 PM)trance Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 10:00 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Hi Tamerind, welcome to the forum.  Your profile indicates you are using a Resmed with a pressure range of 4-20, so you either have a S9 or Airsense 10 Autoset (hopefully not an old S9 Escape).  We need to get you comfortable with this machine, and using a staring pressure of 4-cm is probably too low for comfort and efficacy, and the maximum pressure may be way too high.  Another capability your machine has is EPR (exhale relief pressure), which can proved 1 to 3 cm of pressure relief during exhale.  This setting can make therapy a lot more comfortable and can have therapeutic applications.

The best way to get a handle on your therapy is to use the free [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] software.  It is much better than the ResScan you indicate you are currently using, and you can use the links in my signature to learn to organize and post the charts to the forum.  

Download the software, and post back with the model of machine you are actually using.  If you know your AHI and the type of events and actual pressure range your machine is delivering, we can discuss that.  Otherwise, I'm going to make a preliminary suggestion that you make the following setting changes to your machine. Use these links to learn how to make setting changes:

SR, Did you mean to suggest a "Nasal" for the mask setting? If so, I'm curious as to why? Thank you.

Based on your profile  you are using a nasal mask N20 For Her. Your machine allows you to set the mask type that is being used, Full Face, Nasal and Pillows.  Selecting the correct mask type can optimize the response of the machine and help with proper detection of events.  The reason is that the volume of each of those mask types is different, so the machine operates slightly differently based on the mask it expects you are using.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2018, 03:59 PM)Tamirind Wrote: Managed 2 hours last night!   There was a really irritating whistling sound which came from the water container- I discovered I could stop it by pushing slightly down but didn't help falling to sleep!! ?

Three things to try to stop the whistling:

1.  Make sure the chamber's sealing gasket is seated properly into the top of the chamber.  There is only one way it will fit.  Make sure it is flush to the chamber.

2.  Make sure when you close the top of the water chamber you hear it click closed.  It should snap in and click into the two slots on the side.

3.  Make sure that when you push the chamber into the machine it is seated properly -  as in all the way in.  There should be no gap between the chamber and the machine.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
From the machine - -Resmed AirSense 10 AUTOSET
With a resmed climatelineAir.  
Device SW SX567-0302

What is EPR FOR LEVEL AND TYPE?? This is on and set at 3

Sorry I have gone in to this all no really wanting to know but coming around to the fact that I have to!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2018, 01:56 AM)Tamirind Wrote: From the machine - -Resmed AirSense 10 AUTOSET
With a resmed climatelineAir.  
Device SW SX567-0302

What is EPR FOR LEVEL AND TYPE?? This is on and set at 3

Sorry I have gone in to this all no really wanting to know but coming around to the fact that I have to!!!

EPR stands for exhale pressure relief, and the settings 1 to 3 means the amount of pressure drop from 1 to 3 cm.  Let's talk about what that means to you and why I brought it up.  The minimum pressure that your machine will put out at any time is 4-cm H2O.  Your machine is apparently set to a minimum pressure of 4 and maximum pressure of 20, so when you begin therapy your pressure is 4.0 inhale and 4.0 Exhale (4.0/4.0).  This is very low pressure and since you are using EPR, it takes a long time for your machine to increase the exhale pressure.  As your pressure needs increase, the machine increases pressure to 5/4, 6/4, 7/4 and finally then EPAP (exhale positive air pressure) can beging to rise to 8/5, 9/6 etc.  

When you use EPR, the difference between inhale and exhale is "pressure support", which makes respiration seem easier and more comfortable.  With an EPR setting of 3, I like to see a user with a minimum pressure setting of 7.0 because at that setting (7/4), the EPAP pressure rises as soon as the machine detects a need for higher pressure. This is important because it is the EPAP that prevents obstructive apnea.  So let's be clear. Your machine is set to the factory pressure range and is very ineffective at these settings.  I suggested to you a minimum pressure of 6 with EPR 2, but whatever setting you use, I want to ensure that when pressure increases are needed, it changes both IPAP and EPAP together.  You were diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea, but your machine is setup for a child with no problems.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.