Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ready for an upgrade
Ready for an upgrade
Hi everyone - long time CPAP user, first time poster. Big Grin

So, I have had the same machine for 17 years - 34K hours and counting. I'm thinking it just might be time to get a replacement. But, I have no idea what to look for. I'm pretty sure I want an APAP, especially since I don't want to pay for another sleep study, but do I need a humidifier? Heated hose? Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?

I do know that my insurance wants to lease the machine rather than buy it, which makes sense to them since that means I have to pay 100% of the lease amount until my copay is satisfied, so I'm going to have to buy one outright. I need to check with my DME as they've been great with selling me masks, etc. on my old prescription, but should I hit up my doctor (who's a friend) for a new prescription to buy from one of the used/refurb/open box internet stores? Or perhaps buy a REMstar Auto A-Flex "only used 5 times" (by a little old lady on Sundays?) off of CL for $300 OBO?

Anyway, thanks for reading my tale. Any advise will be appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ready for an upgrade
Id get a PRS2 auto aflex 560 with heated hose.
They are cheaper now that the dreamstation is out. But do treatment wise everything the Dreamstation does.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2016, 12:50 AM)partsman Wrote: Or perhaps buy a REMstar Auto A-Flex "only used 5 times" (by a little old lady on Sundays?) off of CL for $300 OBO?

Anyway, thanks for reading my tale. Any advise will be appreciated!
Hi partsman and welcome
$300 is a good price, if the machine is PR system one, the older ones not worth buying
[Image: which-remstar.jpg]

There're good deals around on new PR System One Auto 550 or 560 and ResMed S9 AutoSet, all around $500 or under with 2 years warranty http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Congrats, 17 years is such a long time
Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2016, 12:50 AM)partsman Wrote: Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?

[Image: ZY8j0Nj.jpg]

oh - and Welcome fellow Oregonian...

I personally would not be without a humidifier for anything.... not even here in the drippy willamette valley; but some actually prefer it. There's no accounting for taste Wink
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Partsman, welcome to Apnea Board.

After 17 years I'd say you really got your money's worth! They don't build 'em like that any more.

I'd strongly suggest you get an APAP - for the small incremental cost they will give you a lot more functionality. As you rightly said, an APAP can largely take the place of a titration study. Though after 17 years it might be worth talking to your doctor to see if he thinks it might be a good idea.

For some excellent information on choosing a machine, go here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

As to your other questions:

Humidifier? Have you been doing without one for 17 years? If so, do you suffer dry throat, nasal congestion etc? Is Eugene - Home of the Ducks! in Oregon where it's reputed to rain all the time? I wouldn't be without my humidifier, but here in Perth it's 40C today and for all next week, so I need some gentle therapy. The Resmed Airsense machines have the humidifier built in, so it's a moot point with them. The Respironics machines and the older Resmed S9 series have separate humidifiers.

Heated hose? Only if you have a humidifier. Personally I wouldn't be without one.

Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator? The Q-36 has been superseded by the Nasal Systems X48 Discombobulator. These are expensive - I wouldn't bother.

If you're buying out of pocket it certainly pays to shop around. There is a link to a supplier list at the top of this page - you will probably get a better deal than going through a DME. My understanding is that you will need a prescription, so have that chat with your doctor friend. Some members have purchased through "alternative" channels - I personallty would be leary of buying medical equipment outside official channels. You don't really know how it's been used / abused, where it's been etc etc.

Hop this helps

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi partsman,
Welcome to the forum.
Check the suppliers list at top of page. Supplier #26 offers a new PR System One Auto 560 with AFlex, includes heated humidifier and heated hose for at ound $470.00, plus 2 year warranty. If you don't want humidifier, then even cheaper. I personally couldn't be without a humidifier, but everyone's different.

Supplier #2, has new open box machines for around same price. Yes, you can buy from CL, but who knows who "the little old lady" really is. Sad

Good luck and shop wisely!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal Rose has a great suggestion. The same machine is available on Amazon at $444 (Philips Respironics 60 Series Remstar Auto) including heated humidifier and hose. The addition of the humidifier and heated hose will be pretty amazing if you've been doing without it so long.

It's really disgusting how insurance (after 17 years of CPAP use) treats you to ensure you pay the maximum. It's really wrong, and you should tell them what you think of their service, and that you will remember this when it's time to renew.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2016, 08:51 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Opal Rose has a great suggestion. The same machine is available on Amazon at $444 (Philips Respironics 60 Series Remstar Auto) including heated humidifier and hose. The addition of the humidifier and heated hose will be pretty amazing if you've been doing without it so long.

Question - why is it that you can buy some machines on Amazon and not others? And do those sellers require a prescription?

(02-07-2016, 08:51 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It's really disgusting how insurance (after 17 years of CPAP use) treats you to ensure you pay the maximum. It's really wrong, and you should tell them what you think of their service, and that you will remember this when it's time to renew.

I work in the public sector, so much of my premium is part of my salary package and we're a captive audience, so to speak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Partsman, the vendors selling through Amazon appear to be DMEs. Another member on the forum purchased one of these and was not asked for a prescription, but technically it's required. I mean, who the hell would spend good money for one of these, if they didn't need it? Anyway, I'm sure after 17 years of CPAP use, you're entitled to a waiver.

Call Aetna and confirm their policy on rental or sale. Do not rely on your DME (salesman) to tell you they requrie rental. I have Aetna because my wife is also in the public sector. First-time users are required to lease the equipment for 3-6 months after which it is purchased upon demonstration of compliance. Veteran users like you and I can get the machines purchased outright. Don't ever believe a DME...best advise you'll get on this forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2016, 01:35 AM)DariaVader Wrote: oh - and Welcome fellow Oregonian...

I personally would not be without a humidifier for anything.... not even here in the drippy willamette valley; but some actually prefer it. There's no accounting for taste Wink

(02-07-2016, 01:37 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Humidifier? Have you been doing without one for 17 years? If so, do you suffer dry throat, nasal congestion etc? Is Eugene - Home of the Ducks! in Oregon where it's reputed to rain all the time?

Yes, like DariaVader, I am in Oregon, and on the wet side of the state. However, it is not wet ALL the time, and up until this winter we've been in a drought for some time. Occasionally we even touch 40 degrees C!

I do notice some mornings, upon waking up, that I am stuffed up - actually, occasionally I get nasty dry heaves from post nasal drip to the point I call in sick to work, so I guess I've answered my own question.

I'm most worried about upkeep on a humidifier - I'm pretty lazy, and my maintenance on my current setup is laughable to those of a more OCD bent than I. Guess that old machine actually IS built like a tank!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 107 8,040 01-24-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 500 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Does ResMed plan to upgrade to 5G ? 3disorders 1 484 11-16-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How hard is it to upgrade with Medicare ? Nightynite 2 551 11-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Ready to give it another try! Welcoming any suggestions egoodman 6 759 07-03-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset firmware upgrade? Tomislav 6 2,732 01-05-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Tomislav

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.