Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Really concerned with cleaning
RE: Really concerned with cleaning
Thanks for all your replies.

I suffer from pretty serious OCD so I go overboard with a lot of things. It's something I'm working on improving. I'm aware of how irrational my actions often are but the compulsion to do them remains hard to overcome.

You've all explained the logic of why I'm overreacting very clearly so I will resolve to just use baby shampoo and water.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're certainly not alone, and anxiety is difficult to overcome. We have a number of members that deal with OCD or anxiety over treatment and hygiene issues. What seems irrational to those of us that are not afflicted, is very hard to overcome by someone like yourself. Please consider the comments here supportive, and feel free to discuss any other aspects of your therapy that concern you. Our membership includes a microbiologist and other experts that can help put your risks/concerns in perspective.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2018, 09:55 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You're certainly not alone, and anxiety is difficult to overcome. We have a number of members that deal with OCD or anxiety over treatment and hygiene issues.  What seems irrational to those of us that are not afflicted, is very hard to overcome by someone like yourself.  Please consider the comments here supportive, and feel free to discuss any other aspects of your therapy that concern you.  Our membership includes a microbiologist and other experts that can help put your risks/concerns in perspective.

Thanks for the kind words Sleeprider. I'll likely be back on the forum in a week or so when I get my machine and mask. Hopefully all goes well, my sleep is appalling and even simple day to day tasks are becoming hard to complete.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2018, 10:27 AM)Personxyz Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 09:55 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You're certainly not alone, and anxiety is difficult to overcome. We have a number of members that deal with OCD or anxiety over treatment and hygiene issues.  What seems irrational to those of us that are not afflicted, is very hard to overcome by someone like yourself.  Please consider the comments here supportive, and feel free to discuss any other aspects of your therapy that concern you.  Our membership includes a microbiologist and other experts that can help put your risks/concerns in perspective.

Thanks for the kind words Sleeprider. I'll likely be back on the forum in a week or so when I get my machine and mask. Hopefully all goes well, my sleep is appalling and even simple day to day tasks are becoming hard to complete.

Best to you while you wait on the machine. I have been at a similar point as you where just functioning was difficult due to very poor sleep. Be safe...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2018, 10:54 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 10:27 AM)Personxyz Wrote:

Best to you while you wait on the machine. I have been at a similar point as you where just functioning was difficult due to very poor sleep. Be safe...
Thanks SarcasticDave94, hope you are safe and well too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
Welcome
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do as you are compelled to do. We are just pointing out that the machines are not as dirty as people think.
Post Reply Post Reply
We contaminate our new masks the instant we remove them from their wrappers. We contaminate them anew the instant we replace them on our faces after washing them. They get exposed after we set them aside to air-dry if we wash them.

It's best not to be consumed about this. Just do rinse off your mask with maybe a dab of dish detergent, doesn't have to be Dawn, with plenty of water. Do set it aside to air-dry, and feel confident that you are keeping the mask 'clean', or at least mostly free of skin oils and drool. Good luck ridding yourself of those two.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to add one further point to the excellent replies already:

Remember that whatever substance you use on the mask's mouthpiece or cushion or pillows, you'll be inhaling the residue of it (there will inevitably be some).  Would you really want to be inhaling trace amounts of Lysol or whatever?  I sure wouldn't.

Related article: "Cleaning sprays may cause long-term lung damage", widely reported last
February:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20180220...ung-damage
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a quick rinse with hydrogen peroxide and air dry would be an inexpensive and safe way to disinfect, if you are so inclined.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,846 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 191 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Woke up choking, concerned about vents michael7 2 158 04-09-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: michael7
  Picked up ResMed 10 today, concerned about ability to reset flow rates NewlyDiagnosed 10 260 04-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 252 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,925 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 213 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.