Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Really concerned with cleaning
RE: Really concerned with cleaning
As an alternative to baby wash, you can also use Dawn Dishwashing detergent. Given your OCD, I'd recommend never buying from Ebay unless it's in a factory sealed package. I'm comfortable with that, but I don't think you would be.
Post Reply Post Reply
your skin, mouth, and digestive system is full of bacteria, how are you dealing with that?

your mask only requires gentle soap and water.
Personally I just wipe it with a wet towel and use some dish soap every few days and rinse.

I didn't clean my machine and tube for like 4 months now...
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2018, 01:23 AM)Kryogen Wrote: I didn't clean my machine and tube for like 4 months now...

Quebec newspaper headlines, July 2018:

MAN MYSTERIOUSLY BUT PEACEFULLY DIES AT HOME IN BED

NO EVIDENCE OF FOUL PLAY

Authorities investigating possible involvement
of in-home medical device
man was using at time of death
Post Reply Post Reply
I think there is to much hype about cleaning. We do not live in a hospital where everything is supposed to be sterile.
We live in houses where we share it with loads of bugs and germs and god knows what!
Clean it once a week should be enough for most people, but if you have a full-faced mask, it may be worth giving it a wipe down with a alcohol free baby wipe, but really, it is mostly your own bugs anyway. Be careful of mould growing in vents though, but even that, with a good wash in soapy water every week should keep it at bay.
There is probably more dangerous bugs etc around your house than in your mask and hose.
Why worry, be happy.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2018, 02:17 PM)fats Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 01:23 AM)Kryogen Wrote: I didn't clean my machine and tube for like 4 months now...

Quebec newspaper headlines, July 2018:

MAN MYSTERIOUSLY BUT PEACEFULLY DIES AT HOME IN BED

NO EVIDENCE OF FOUL PLAY

Authorities investigating possible involvement
of in-home medical device
man was using at time of death

Laugh-a-lot Is that us in trouble again?   Bug-eyed     Shock
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2018, 03:22 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: I think there is to much hype about cleaning.  We do not live in a hospital where everything is supposed to be sterile.

Actually hospitals are not that sterile. If you are going to go in for surgery somewhere one of the first questions you get asked is when have you stayed in a hospital last. If it has been within the last few years they will then schedule you to be tested for superbugs. You almost always get them from a hospital. They are their own worst enemy!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2018, 05:02 PM)Ron AKA Wrote: Actually hospitals are not that sterile. If you are going to go in for surgery somewhere one of the first questions you get asked is when have you stayed in a hospital last. If it has been within the last few years they will then schedule you to be tested for superbugs. You almost always get them from a hospital. They are their own worst enemy!!

All too true. Hospitals are excellent places to stay away from when that's feasible.

Along the same lines, I remember reading a long time ago in some list of trivia that in any household, the place where the biggest accumulation of bacteria (potentially harmful) can be found, other than the obvious answer of "toilet" that everyone is aware of, is the dishrag in the kitchen sink.
Post Reply Post Reply
...and any pair of hands, and nowadays the elbows into which we cough and sneeze, countertops, toothbrushes, pillows and sheets, etc.

They have those in hospitals, too...oh and in restaurants.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
seriously, I just empty the water tank and let the hose and tank dry every day. didnt clean for months. doesnt smell.

I clean the mask with a wet towel every night and use soap and water every few days.

It's ok.... seriously, relax.

When's the last time that you have washed your mattress, sofa, curtains, walls, car seats?
or disinfected your water lines, or your air vents in car or home?

Do you actually breathe the air in public buildings, and eat with the provided ustensils in restaurants?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2018, 07:02 AM)Kryogen Wrote: It's ok.... seriously, relax.

There were a bunch of implied smilies there: it was a put-on.  I just like to use satire without a "<satire>" tag.  Sorry; it's a bad habit I have.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,859 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 197 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Woke up choking, concerned about vents michael7 2 165 04-09-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: michael7
  Picked up ResMed 10 today, concerned about ability to reset flow rates NewlyDiagnosed 10 262 04-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 257 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,944 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 215 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.