Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Really need help with a couple of small issues I'm having. Thanks!
Really need help with a couple of small issues I'm having. Thanks!
Good (but feeling tired) morning everyone,
I was really hoping to get some advice. I’ve been trying to get back into CPAP (on day 5 now) after a long break, and I’m struggling with a couple of specific things.
Placement of machine
I’m not entirely sure how to setup the CPAP machine, currently I have it on the floor next to my side of the bed. The issue is that when I’m laying on my back, there is a slight pulling of the mask and tubing towards the ground.
I think I remembered last time I tried to put it on my bedside dressed but it was similar, as the longer tube sagged down in the space between my dresser and bad.
I’ve put a picture of my current setup for reference. I would love some advice on how to fix this issue.
Minor mask leaks
The second thing that I’m having issues with is minor mask links. I currently use the nasal pillow mask, and sleep on my back. There is a small amount of air that usually leaks out of the top left, so it is blowing a small amount of air on my skin underneath my eye. This makes it a harder to relax. I’ve tightened the straps and this seems to have helped a little bit, but it still occurred last night.
My data says the mask leakage is ‘normal’ and I called the person who tracks my data and when I asked if I had mask leaks he said ‘nah not really’. Honestly I don’t even know if I’m just imagining it, if it’s the air that’s coming out of the main export area and just feels like it’s a leak, or if it’s normal and I should just get used to it.

I'd really appreciate any advice people have. Thanks guys!  Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Really need help with a couple of small issues I'm having. Thanks!
Ideally, the machine should be on a nightstand level with your bed, or a little lower than your bed.  Leaving it on the floor will result in the pull of the hose as you are experiencing.   Some have even placed their machine in a nightstand drawer.

The hose should be routed upward from the Cpap, caught by a hose holder, then routed down to your mask.  This also helps with "rainout".

Google Cpap hose holder and you'll see several options.

The air coming out of the exhalation vent is normal.  Other mask leaks need to be corrected.  An acceptable leak rate where it doesn't affect therapy is up to 24 litres per minute.  Although even small leaks can disrupt your sleep.  
You can see your leak rate on the OSCAR charts.  

Check the fit of the nasal pillows.  You may need to go up or down a size.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2023, 07:00 PM)Hopingforachange Wrote: The second thing that I’m having issues with is minor mask links.

Contact your equipment supplier and see if you can try a different mask. Most masks don't fit most people. It's a process of trial and error to find one that fits well.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cut a 2-inch diameter hole in the back of the top or second drawer, and route the tube and power into the drawer, insert machine, and you will have a CPAP drawer that will keep the sound low and remove the appearance of the CPAP on the floor or bedside tabletop. Run the tube from the back of the bedside table over your headboard and fasten with a lanyard or tie, then down to your face. This will keep the mask and tube from pulling on your face and give you more freedom to move.  Wrapping the tube in a fleece cover will make it softer and quieter.  Kind of like this:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28461]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My setup:

Night table is set close to the bed. 

In the top drawer, the machine sits oriented so that whichever type of hose connection it is roots the hose most directly toward the bed.

I close the drawer just enough that the hose doesn't bet bent or damaged, but enough that the innermost surfaces of the machine are kept from being yanked upward when I turn by the hose being yanked.

The hose is pulled fully across my body, but at belt level.

It is then covered with the blanket so that it is sandwiched between the blanket and the top sheet.  For the most part, this keeps the hose warm(er) and helps to keep it from falling back over the edge of the bed.  This is NOT foolproof, but it works about 90% of the time. Remember, the night table is right up, almost against the bed, so the space into which the hose might want to sag is minimized.  The blanket does the rest.

As for mask deflection or deformation, that will have to be learned over time by finding a good pillow, how to 'punch it up' so that it keeps your head at the right angle and the mask from being pushed aside or lifted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your advice. 

Yup, that definitely makes sense. I'm going to look at getting a lower bedside table to put my CPAP machine on (as my current one is too high). I'm also going to buy a hose holder as that looks like it'll definitely help as well!

If I continue experiencing these small leaks I'll ask to try a different size for my nasal pillow mask. I've had the same once since I started so its probably a bit naive of me to think it fits perfectly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SEFAM S BOX ISSUES ANYONE FAMILIER WITH THIS MACHINE??? dizzy1 4 59 3 hours ago
Last Post: dizzy1
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 15 620 Today, 03:44 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Supplier and Insurance issues DudleyDoRight 0 77 04-18-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: DudleyDoRight
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 232 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Rising AHI the last couple of weeks Brimstone 7 246 04-12-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Brimstone
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 253 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 59 1,366 04-01-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.