Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reason to go from fixed to Auto
Reason to go from fixed to Auto
Will try to make this quick...
I've been using a fixed CPAP for 5-6 years.   Originally set at 8.5.   I use it 365/yr.  I wanted to get a new unit with data capability and also wanted to move to Auto-PAP.   But I didn't really want to go thru another sleep study.  I talked to my CPAP provider and they told me I needed a prescription from my doctor.  The doc sent it, but it was for the specific pressure setting.  So even though the CPAP provider told me I was getting a unit that could be set to Auto, they gave me a DreamStation pro.  I found the Auto trial on the DreamStation and set it from 8.5 - 12.5.  Immediately felt I was getting better results and after a few weeks looked at Sleepyhead.  I don't have data in front of me but pressure was getting to 11.0 - 11.5 range most nights.   I asked the doc to send a prescription to CPAP provider to set auto at 8.5 - 12.5 permanently since the Auto-trail only lasts for 29 days...and apparently it limits your numbers of 'trials'.   Well, now the CPAP provider told me what I already knew...that the unit isn't an auto.   They can request an auto unit from my insurance company, but I need a reason in writing from my doc describing why I need my treatment changed from fixed to auto.    And apparently the fact that I feel that the auto-mode helps me much more isn't a good reason...because in their mind I'm on fixed 8.5.   Any recommendations on a good reason?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reason to go from fixed to Auto
Your needs change over time, even night to night. This is not rocket science, and auto works better. Ask your doctor to do the right thing and treat you for a lifetime, not a clinical trial. The mere fact the results make you feel better and the results are good should be enough. In terms of insurance, CPAP is CPAP, not fixed or auto. It is the same prescription and reimbursement code. Your supplier is yanking your chain.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reason to go from fixed to Auto
There is one good reason right in front of you, 8.5 is not doing enough for you if an APAP (Auto) is going up to 11-5 it means you need that pressure.
Tell them they can either pay for another study to get a new set pressure or give you an APAP set from 8 to 14 and let the APAP worry about what pressure you require.  Get the doctor to explain that they either have to put you for a new Sleep Study or put you on to an APAP which will take care of your pressure automatically.  There is not the price difference there used to be 10 years ago.
They are even giving out APAPs over here these days, you had a huge fight on your hands to get an APAP only a few years ago here.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 206 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 287 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 633 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  6+ of CPAP, but symptoms are coming back for some reason terrytorres 7 658 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
Question Pressure on eyes, what could be the reason? newbieusa 4 542 09-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 625 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,084 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.