Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reasonable Accommodation
Reasonable Accommodation
Has anyone successfully argued to make their position permanently remote based on vulnerability to severe effects of COVID-19 due to, among other things, suffering from sleep apnea?
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reasonable Accommodation
I don't think sleep apnea has been identified as a factor.

Even asthma has not been identified,  which surprised us.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree.  Sleep apnea, itself, is not indicated in any of the reports I have seen.  Ischemic heart disease, hypertension, lung diseases like sarcoidosis and emphysema or COPD, diabetes,, and various forms of dementia ARE indicated as potential risk factors.  The COVID-19 disease cause endothelial dysfunction, which affects nerves and blood vessels, so it all seems to fit.  As far as I know, endothelial dysfunction is not a cause of sleep apnea...the two are unrelated.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have read that it is a factor in one's susceptibility to harsher effects from COVID; that's what prompted my post.

"An analysis conducted by researchers at the University of Turku and Turku University Hospital in Finland has suggested that obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) may be a risk factor for severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-2019).

The team found that a disproportionate number of patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19 had pre-existing OSA (diagnosed a median of 2.5 years beforehand).

The researchers also identified elevated levels of C-reactive protein (CRP), procalcitonin (PCT), and possibly reduced oxygen saturation as potentially useful measures for predicting which patients may require critical care."

This isn't from a peer-reviewed journal, so maybe it's hogwash.

I realize it isn't a condition that would render one eligible for disability, which I'm not interested in anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
from a completely data free but common sense point of view, I suspect that untreated apnea would work against us to the extent it detrimentally affects us in so many ways, leaving our defenses compromised. the corollary might be treated apnea is less of a risk factor. of course I'm merely speculating; I've often wondered if this 'logic' applies to say, unmanaged vs managed hypertension. while folks without risk factors may fare best, I assume it would be better to get covid with treated/managed conditions than not.
Post Reply Post Reply
I looked at the university's research tab for 20 or so pages and couldn't find it. I wonder if the previously diagnosed patients followed their treatment.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Apart from deficiencies in zinc and vitamins C and D3, all I have learned to date is that three compounds have been shown to treat COVID-19 with a modicum of success, and then only in the most acute and urgent cases requiring intensive care: N-acetyl cystine (NAC), ivermectin, and remdesivir.  None of those is effective in treating apnea to my knowledge, and they don't treat any of the typical sequelae of apnea...again, to my knowledge...I could be wrong.  If there are sequelae of apnea that factor in COVID-19 deterrence, it would be hypertension and possibly obesity, although obesity begets its own problems without the help of apnea...think diabetes.  But we have to beware of the post hoc problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is A Reasonable Large Leak %? BlueSky1958 3 625 07-21-2023, 06:47 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Sad Is $6,800 reasonable cost for a sleep study? Hrapovik 8 907 06-20-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: larrykay
  Reasonable expectations for numbers adm1jtg 9 971 04-16-2022, 05:08 PM
Last Post: adm1jtg
  Replacement supplies: Reasonable schedule? Anything recyclable? bzz08 9 2,623 10-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Should I increase EPAP? And What's a Reasonable Max EPAP setting on ResMed ASV? RayBee 7 2,555 09-06-2019, 10:15 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Reasonable AHI but still tired, day 20 melloyelloww 10 2,585 02-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Last Post: melloyelloww

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.