Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reasons Needed for S9 VPAP?
RE: Reasons Needed for S9 VPAP?
(07-01-2014, 11:34 PM)archangle Wrote: Very good if correct, thanks.

I don't have a VPAP Auto manual, or a VPAP auto to try it out on.

well, you could request one, you know, that apneaboard.com place has 'em, and, would you look at that, I *DO* have a VPAP Auto. thanks for the implied vote of confidence!
The ResMed S9 VPAP Auto will allow you to set Max IPAP equal to Min EPAP, and when you do PS is automatically set to zero. You can still adjust Ti Max and Ti Min. Alternatively you could set it in CPAP mode, but then you can't set Ti Max and Ti Min.

The PRS1 BiPAP Pro will allow you to set IPAP equal to EPAP and you can adjust B-Flex. Alternatively you can set it in CPAP mode and you can adjust C-Flex.

I don't know if this information is useful to anyone, but here it is just in case.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Archangle ( in response to your post but even ore so to Peter_Cs thumbs up to it )

Quote:Generally FFM's are considered to be the answer for mouth breathing, if you can't fix the mouth breathing with a chin strap or something.

Yes I do understand clearly that FFMs are considered the mask for mouth breathers.
But I could also show you a few posts here stating quite clearly as well that for several reasons there some don’t believe a FFM as the proper mask to give to mouth breathers.
As it was, I was also told by several here to try a nasal mask and give up on the FFMask for this very same reason .

Quote:If your nose clogs up and you can't fix it, an FFM is your only choice. If you can't breathe through your nose due to a deviated septum or similar problem, an FFM is your only choice.

Do you recall me ever claiming to have a deviated septum?
No, you won’t, because I haven’t.

Quote:I think FFM's should only be recommended to those who have certain problems with nasal masks and can't fix them. Some people DO need an FFM.

I don’t have a problem with a nasal mask. In fact, from the very second I took off the FFM they gave to me and put on a Nasal mask, I have not opened my mouth once.

Quote:If you mouth breathe with a FFM, you may end up with cotton mouth to some degree. If you mouth breathe with a nasal mask, you will end up with worse cotton mouth and will probably leak enough air that your CPAP is not effective.

Who said I mouth breathe with a nasal mask?
Not I!

But one again none of this has anything to do with what I was asking about.

I started having problems May 28th when I got the AutoSet
After a few days it was determined that my settings were wrong and I did not like the differences in pressure when exhaling so RobySue was good enough to spot this and suggested I set my settings to the Escape and I did and it was fine, for 2 days if I recall.

I then started having congestion problems and could not figure out why.
Night after night
2 weeks ago we had a torrential rainstorm and tornadoes nearby.
I had rainout for the first time that night and suddenly began to look at my AC as potentially the culprit for the congestion.

I mentioned it and someone mentioned that I needed a humidifier. I did wonder why i needed to have a room size humidifier if I had a small one on the S9 but hey, Im not the expert here so I listened and hoped.

Somehow that turned into a discussion of how i likely had mould due to a crumbling wall problem beside my AC so I was told by one person that this was likely causing the congestion.
I believe that our bodies tell us what is wrong to a point but I knew it wasn’t mould.
Someone kept mentioning mould so I did ask people to please forget about the mould, it wasn’t an issue.
And the subject of a room humidifier was brought up again.
Sleepster mentioned in one thread something about settings on a humidifier but sine he and everyone else were talking about a room humidifier that i needed, I had no reason to grasp that he was referring to the S9 Humidifier.

Last night, early, someone asked about settings and for the first time I began to wonder IF there was somehow some relation between settings on my S9 and this constant congestion seeing as it ONLY happened when I had the mask on and the S9 running. Never any other time.

But before I had time to form that through properly I was treated like an idiot by Sleepster first who suggested i just get over it and stop making excuses LOL

And this his buddy Peter jumped in as forum friends tend to do and started in with his rude behaviour as well.

Between the two of them I was appalled!

I shall assume you are male.
Quite often men have a very bad habit, especially in the role of Doctors, not to listen to woman’s complaints. The tend to pat them on the back and tell them that its all in their head and nothing to worry about.
They treat these woman like absolute imbeciles and what I saw here last night was exactly that.

I was told more than once that I was not suffocating. And pop psychology was offered.
In other words, its all in my head.

Quote:Some FFM users have to deal with cotton mouth. Some people use chin straps with FFM's to help reduce cotton mouth, but some FFM users just have to live with cotton mouth. It's still better than apnea.

I would have to disagree.
That is not an option.
No one should be expected to live with cotton mouth.
One needs to get to the root problem and than around it.
IF a doctor suggested to me that I had to live with cotton mouth because it was better than apneas, I would immediately stop using that doctor and would find a better one.
I understand you are not a doctor and possibly just relating what you have read or been told but if so, I would always suggest refusing such a diagnosis and getting to the root cause instead….

BTW, I was also told that it was impossible for me to take my mask off without my knowing.
Once again, these men seem to know better than I do as to how my body operates and assume my mind is incapable of the intricacies that it is!

[link removed]

Quote:How can you learn to keep your CPAP mask on at night?

Address Pressure, Mask Comfort Issues

Even though you may be asleep, you are still aware enough to recognize something pestering you. You may wake enough to remove the mask, without regaining full consciousness. Much like sleepwalking or sleep eating, you may not remember anything about your actions when you do fully awaken. This can be a deep-rooted source of frustration and aggravation, especially as you strive to be adherent to the treatment. The most likely cause of you pulling the mask off during sleep is due to improper pressure settings or problems related to mask discomfort.

In some cases, employing a pressure ramp may be helpful. By starting at a lower pressure as you fall asleep, you may be able to sleep more deeply before the pressure increases. This may prevent mask removal. In addition, the use of a heated humidifier and heated tubing may make the experience more comfortable by reducing mouth dryness and this can improve compliance.

The heated humidifier and heated tubing, both of which I was using until last night seems to have been the problem. The opposite of what has been suggested above but nevertheless as I knew all along, t here WAS a reason for it but I just was not yet experienced enough with CPAP’ing to have figured it out on my own.
Hence, I came to the forum to find out but was treated like an imbecile for trying to do so.

I will note that after losing my temper with the attitude of a few men here and I went to bed, there were 1 or 2 posts about potential congestion from the machine.

I suggested earlier that i was done, yet it continued.
Best to move on now to the thread return to its original purpose

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Moderator Note: I think the OP's issues have all been addressed repeatedly, so in the interest of keeping the discussion civil I am closing this thread.

If anyone wants to further discuss the issues raised here please feel free to start another thread.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,517 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,062 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  help needed teamarliss 7 290 02-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 277 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.