Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reasons Needed for S9 VPAP?
RE: Reasons Needed for S9 VPAP?
(07-01-2014, 03:19 PM)diamaunt Wrote: I can't speak for other machines, but, the VPAP Auto can be configured *directly* as

if you set the pressure support to between 0-3, you then have an AutoSet.

I don't remember the exact details, but there were some differences when some of us looked at that question before. I think it was something like not being able to set a small fixed PS level and auto mode at the same time. The Auto function would readjust the PS setting.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Thanks for all the information condensed in one thread so I can get the time to understand it all.

I was asking because i am having the hardest time complying myself..................Im determined to get it so I am still doing it every night but for myself its the issue of congestion only.

I find sleeping with the mask very comfortable. It doesn't bother me one bit. I am secure enough in myself as a person and a woman to know that the sleep mask does not affect my partners image of me.
Granted, it would be much harder for anyone, male or female, although i think especially female, that is single to accept she has OSA and has to use a mask. Not the first thing one tells a lover...LOL
However that is not my case so I need not worry ;-)

As for comfort I find it SOOOOO comfortable, I can't imagine why everyone doesn't........and I am taking my mask off nightly and placing it gently on my chest, so that when I wake up the next time, I will put it back on, which I always do IF i wake up before morning. Im not aware I am taking it off though. Its not because the mask is uncomfortable but because I become stuffed and can't breathe so I imagine i take it off so i can.

When I first came to this board EVERYONE pushed the Auto Set so much that i went out and bought one and to be honest, in retrospect so far it has not helped me one bit because of the non compliance. IF and when I manage to get the congestion problem worked though, then I might feel i made a good move, but after seeing info on these VPAP machines, being good for those not complying I wondered if I had jumped the gun when maybe it would have been wiser to have purchased a VPAP rather than an Auto-set.

That all being said, in aster to someones question, no, i have not compared the price of an AutoSet to one of these.

I am just looking up in these threads now, the name of something someone mentioned a few times, a rinse of sorts used at nighttime to rid himself of the issue with congestion.
IF that doesn't work, Im at a loss for the best step, but one thing at a time...................

I just wanted to see IF this was a potential option in the future IF i never was able to reach 100% compliance and become a "Happy Papper" Smile

As for the prices for all these machines. I sincerely have my doubts that any of them are worth what they are charging for them. I assumed that the VPAP wouldn't be any different in that area!
You take the mask off but you have no memory of doing it?

I can't see how a change of machine is going to help you with that.

I don't understand what this has to do with congestion. Are you just guessing that congestion is the reason you're taking the mask off in your sleep?

People have reported using bobby pins and straps to hold the mask on so that it makes it difficult to take off while sleeping. I guess you could try tying a your wrists to your waist with just enough slack so that you can't reach your face with your hands.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
I know its the congestion for I remember some of the times doing it but the odd time i haven't any memory but I seem to be undoing it quite nicely in my sleep and placing it on top of my chest so I can put it back on again when I wake up

LOL

Its really quite funny actually.
No I know its the congestion causing this.
Its the ONLY problem I am having but its a major one.
as long as I am not congested I sleep with it on but more often than not I seem to become congested about 90 min. into my sleep.
Uusally I sleep for about 1-2 hours, wake up at some point feeling the need to run to the loo and when I do, my nose seems fine, I go back to bed put the mask back on and fall asleep till morning.

The only problem with that is IF I don't need to run to the loo I don't wake up till morning so I end up having maybe 90 mins worth of it on all night.
Other times when I do wake up and put it bcd on, I can get between 4-7 hours

NO I don't want to tie my hands etc for I am taking it off because i am suffocating due to not being able to breathe through my nose, hence, why i take it off

In any event, I haven't ever used any nasal spays before but I am trying to find a couple of posts by one male on this forum, can't remember who but they have mentioned some nasal nose wash or something they use on their nose successfully at night time which seems to have helped with the congestion feeling.

So far there is one good thing, I HAVENT GIVEN UP.......

Oh and I also notice the problem for sure happens if I have the AC on........we talked about this in another thread so I try not to t urn it on but rather turn the AC off when I go to bed......but wishful thinking that it will work causes me to keep trying with the AC on
If you're making a conscience decision to take it off because you're congested, then there's something you can do about it.

Stop!

Taking it off won't help your congestion, it will in fact make it worse. The extra pressure from the CPAP machine helps keep the nasal passages open. When you get congested and take the mask off, apply something topical to the nostrils such a Aryl Nasal Gel, and then put the mask back on.

The CPAP machine itself cannot be making you congested as long as you are keeping the hose clean, the filters changed, and properly adjusting the humidifier. To properly adjust the humidifier turn it up until you get rain out, then lower it just enough so that you don't.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(07-01-2014, 06:14 PM)archangle Wrote:
(07-01-2014, 03:19 PM)diamaunt Wrote: I can't speak for other machines, but, the VPAP Auto can be configured *directly* as

if you set the pressure support to between 0-3, you then have an AutoSet.

I don't remember the exact details, but there were some differences when some of us looked at that question before. I think it was something like not being able to set a small fixed PS level and auto mode at the same time. The Auto function would readjust the PS setting.

*sigh*
1) the vpap adapt doesn't auto vary PS in any mode. the sys1 bipap auto does.

2) the vpap adapt allows PS to be set at 0-10cm in VAuto mode.

3) VAuto mode allows setting Max IPAP Min EPAP and PS, (along with ti min/max and trigger/cycle)

pg 19 of the manual, and I've done it on mine.

(07-01-2014, 10:13 PM)Sleepster Wrote: If you're making a conscience decision to take it off because you're congested, then there's something you can do about it.

Stop!

Taking it off won't help your congestion, it will in fact make it worse. The extra pressure from the CPAP machine helps keep the nasal passages open. When you get congested and take the mask off, apply something topical to the nostrils such a Aryl Nasal Gel, and then put the mask back on.

The CPAP machine itself cannot be making you congested as long as you are keeping the hose clean, the filters changed, and properly adjusting the humidifier. To properly adjust the humidifier turn it up until you get rain out, then lower it just enough so that you don't.

That makes sense.
Im going to have to try it your way for my way just isnt working.

That said, time is very limited and i have been looking over this forum quickly for 3 nights, unsuccessfully until now to find a post I knew was out there.
I wanted the name of some sinus rinse that Zonk was talking bout although I don't see a name mentioned.

Ive never been one to take meds (usually anyhow) or products for this or that so Ive never used anything so all these products are news to me.....

Anyhow tomorrow I will go get some stuff and try that when i take it off and see if that works.
Also wondering whether i should try nasal pillows as I am using a nasal mask right now and thought maybe pillows would help.
Oh i don't know but i will try your idea first and get some rinse, etc to helps with it as well and hopefully this will work for this is the ONLY thing i need to overcome and I can't move forward until i do

Thanks for the advice
will try it

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...7#pid70527
Diamount, are you talking about the VPAP Auto or the VPAP Adapt?

On the VPAP Auto can you set max IPAP and min EPAP to the same number, which I guess would force you to set PS to zero?

Can you put the VPAP Auto in CPAP mode?

I realize I could find the answers out myself by fiddling with my machine but right now it's so new to me that I'm having a hard enough time figuring out how to make it do my bidding. I don't want to mess around with the settings until I get things set up the way I want and feel comfortable with getting some good data. ResScan is new to me, and I'm kind of waiting on the SH v0.9.6 release, too.
Sleepster

(07-01-2014, 08:26 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: When I first came to this board EVERYONE pushed the Auto Set so much that i went out and bought one and to be honest, in retrospect so far it has not helped me one bit because of the non compliance. IF and when I manage to get the congestion problem worked though, then I might feel i made a good move, but after seeing info on these VPAP machines, being good for those not complying I wondered if I had jumped the gun when maybe it would have been wiser to have purchased a VPAP rather than an Auto-set.

I don't think a bilevel machine will help with your compliance problem. Bilevel mostly helps compliance for people who are uncomfortable with the pressure, especially with exhaling against the pressure. If congestion is the cause, bilevel probably won't help.

If your nose is clogging, you may need a full face mask.

Try to wake up more fully some night when you get the urge to unmask and really think it through and see if you're really clogged up.

(07-01-2014, 08:26 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I am just looking up in these threads now, the name of something someone mentioned a few times, a rinse of sorts used at nighttime to rid himself of the issue with congestion.
IF that doesn't work, Im at a loss for the best step, but one thing at a time...................

Is "Sinus Rinse" by NeilMed what you're looking for? It's a squeeze bottle and salt packets you use to rinse your nose out. It's pretty safe to use all the time. It's a miracle drug to some, so try it.

Nasal sprays like Afrin can be used for a few nights, but after that, they may actually increase congestion. Some of the steroid sprays like nasonex or nasacort are more appropriate for frequent use, but even they should be used with care.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
(07-01-2014, 10:27 PM)diamaunt Wrote: *sigh*
1) the vpap adapt doesn't auto vary PS in any mode. the sys1 bipap auto does.

2) the vpap adapt allows PS to be set at 0-10cm in VAuto mode.

3) VAuto mode allows setting Max IPAP Min EPAP and PS, (along with ti min/max and trigger/cycle)

pg 19 of the manual, and I've done it on mine.

Very good if correct, thanks.

I don't have a VPAP Auto manual, or a VPAP auto to try it out on.
Useful links.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 154 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 180 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 367 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 186 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,668 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 187 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,498 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.