Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reasons Needed for S9 VPAP?
RE: Reasons Needed for S9 VPAP?
I recently switched to a S9 from a PR, so I had for the first time the option to pre-heat the water. I hated it! Putting on the mask and breathing in that warm moist air felt awful. But I do like it warm and moist after I've had the mask on for awhile. Go figure.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
I think I may have figured it out FINALLY..............I slept 8 hours for the very first time since winter. It occurred to me yesterday that I had just started Cpaping with this machine on at the end of the cold weather but during it I didn't have the congestion.

IF i am right, its a simple fix but of course the one day that I FINALLY sleep was the one and only time I forgot to put the SD card into the machine so now I haven't any record of what happened, or didn't happen last night so hoping tonight it will be fine again but i noticed that my Climate Control was sitting up around 76 degrees which I guess was fine during the cold weather.

Anyhow I turned it off and got through 8 hours without being completely stuffed up so maybe, hopefully THAT was the answer.

Time will tell

EDIT: Now I read back to some messages left since last night and i see a few of them mention similar reasons. Water. I never saw this mentioned before. The only thing that I read of was to get a humidifier or to use nasal wash.
As I am new to this the settings never occurred to me as potentially being a problem. I assumed it was something that I had just either noticed I had, or had come down with, that being respiratory problems.
I don't wish to speak to soon in case it was a ONE night event...........and having forgotten to put in my card doesn't help.
I changed my pattern when I went to bed last night hence, I didn't watch to see my card being read as I always do but because i had been playing with the settings just before sleep, all I had to do was put on my mask and the machine starts up so it didn't feel as if it was the first time at the machine before bed, hence, I didn't think to put the card in and watch the machine accept it, which is why I was able to forget putting the card in.

Quote:I personally do not care (other in a generic way) whether you stick with CPAP or don't. I'm simply one of many people on the outside reading what you've written, and with all sincerity, I am reading more reasons for you to not wear your mask 100% of the time, than I am reading reasons why you should be wearing the mask 100% of the time. Personal knowledge along with many, many other forum threads have shown that until a person reaches 100% compliance it is a struggle for them (reasons are legion). No one, least of all I ever said it was an easy thing to do, but do it we all must.

"I'm simply one of many people on the outside reading what you've written"

Being that you can't possibly know what others on this forum are reading and or getting from my words, I would have to guess that there is a bit of chit chat going on behind the scenes as often does take place on a forum with "older members" between each other.
It wouldn't be the first time I have picked up on this possibility.

Quote:Then you are waking up and finding that the mask is lying neatly on your chest. Your machine should have an alarm that will sound letting you know that your mask has been removed.

No, no such alarm on mine. I don't even recall seeing a setting for it.
The only thing that happens is that the pressured air stops coming through the hose.
Thats it.

Quote:I don't understand how you can make an assumption when you're in a deep sleep. To me a deep sleep is a state of unconsciousness, and to make an assumption I have to be conscious.

I can make the assumption because I have also done it when I have been a bit more conscious and remember afterwards doing so and my brain keeps telling me that this is why i am doing it.

Quote:Why's that? If your nose is plugged up you have to open your mouth to breathe. This is called mouth-breathing, it happens to everyone at one time or another, and it happens with or without a CPAP machine.

Why on earth would my FF work if I am opening my mouth to breathe through it and end up feeling as if I have an extremely dry mouth with cotton wool i it?
So you are suggesting that I should go back to an FF mask after I have read post after post of how a FF really isn't great for mouth breathers and that being why?

BTW, these are not questions for you to answer. Purely rhetorical.

Quote:Because if you're congested you cannot breathe through your nose. At least that's what it means to me. If that happens when you're wearing a CPAP mask, then you can't breathe through your nose. If it happens when you're not wearing a mask then you can't breathe through your nose.

Do you see how the CPAP mask makes no difference either way? There are four possibilities:

1. Congested with mask.
2. Congested without mask.
3. Not congested with mask.
4. Not congested without mask.

You seem to be saying that only 1 is happening. Which means that 2, 3, and 4 are not happening to you. That makes no sense. There's only one reason why a mask would cause congestion. Congestion is internal to your body, the mask is external to your body.

The one and only reason that the mask itself is the cause of the congestion is air quality. Keep the hose and mask clean, properly filter and adjust the temperature and humidity of the air in the hose. That is the only solution.

If that doesn't work then I recommend you make an appointment with a good ENT surgeon who can figure out why you're congested only when you wear a CPAP mask.

Then Peter, your friend just 2 posts down..

Quote:Go figure, my wife first turned her heat all the way down, then stopped bothering to fill her water chamber, then about 5 months ago, I took it off the machine completely and she's happy as can be. Whereas, I want it heated, and as moist as possible without drowning or running out of water during the night - everyone is different. Learning what works best for each of us is key to being happy.

Do I even need to comment?

Quote: You're either aware or you're not. If you're not then the alarm should wake you and then you'll become aware. If you are aware then you can get out of bed for awhile, wait until your congestion clears, then go back to bed and put the mask on.

When you tell yourself that you can stay in bed with the mask off without falling asleep you are lying to yourself. You have proven this to yourself repeatedly so you know it's true.

So you are now telling me how my body and mind works?
As stated I do not have an alarm on my machine OR if there is one there, I have never heard it, which suggests its not turned on, but I don't even recall seeing anything about an alarm.
Either way once again you are making assumptions you have no place to make as you are not here to make them.

Quote: That's fear, not congestion.

Oh for &*%&^* sake STOP with the pop psychology!!!!
Its NOT FEAR..........I haven't ANY fear of this mask but when congested and I cannot breathe, I SUFFOCATE

I cannot breathe in my mouth, in and out properly when I have air being pushed up my nose.
Once again ONE last time, I do no not have any fear related to this machine.
I simply CANNOT breathe!

Quote:Perhaps?! You just said in the previous sentence that it is happening![/quote

We Brits tend to be rather self effacing and being subtle but its often misunderstood by Americans.

[quote] I have zero desire to upset you or anyone else. But if I do not say what *I* am reading, how can *I* help. I am sorry that my words have offended thee.

Make no mistake. You did not upset me.
But I suspect you see yourself as a "straight shooter" and often think you have upset people when I suspect its quite to the contrary.

Well let's hope that was the answer!!! I may bump mine down a few degrees as well. Seems I am getting a bit of congestion too, even during the day. Maybe the moisture is contributing to that. I think mine is on 75 now. May bump it down to 73 or 72 and see how it goes. Does make sense as it is now more humid outside and in the house. Put that card in tonight and keep us posted!!
(07-03-2014, 08:41 AM)Buckeyedog Wrote: Well let's hope that was the answer!!! I may bump mine down a few degrees as well. Seems I am getting a bit of congestion too, even during the day. Maybe the moisture is contributing to that. I think mine is on 75 now. May bump it down to 73 or 72 and see how it goes. Does make sense as it is now more humid outside and in the house. Put that card in tonight and keep us posted!!

I feel that long time members/CPAP users expect that newbies to it "just get it"
What night seem common sense to them is not to us for we do not have the reality of past experience to create that common sense.
All I KNEW waS that I was congested and every report I read said that Congestion was the NUMBER #1 reason for people to walk away from CPAP'ing so what certain individuals here saw as my wanting to make excuses to CPAP were in fact pleas for help for I was unable to figure out WHY I had suddenly started to have this issue of congestion but started to wonder if I had always had it and was only just noticing now............that it NEVER even occurred to me to look at climate settings.

The only climate I was considering was the one in my bedroom where i had an A/C on so i was thinking that by t urning off the AC i would be better but it didn't work so that led me to think it was something else.

I am a bit surprised in retrospect that someone didn't think to ask me about my climate controls but instead just chose to suggest I was here on the forum offering reasons NOT to use it.

I don't need to offer anyone reasons for something I have no wish to do. I'd I did not wish to wear it, I would have simply taken it off and no one ere would have seen any q questions from me at any time.

Therefore to suggest that I needed to come here and offer reasons as to why I did not wish to wear the mask is by far the most absurd comment i have ever seen yet on this subject!

On that note, I for one am done.......
ShelaghDB, I'm glad you got a good night's sleep. I mentioned adjusting the CPAP humidifier back in Post #15.

Your machine has a "mask alert" feature that you can turn on. That will cause an alarm to come on when you take your mask off.

You stated that you panic. Panic is fear.

You open your mouth to breathe because you feel you're not getting enough air, and then the pressurized CPAP air hisses out and you panic. The problem is either anatomical or psychological or both. Either way, you have a choice. Face your fear or deny it.

You can prove it to yourself by inserting the SD card in your machine. Last night's data will download onto the card. Then you can upload it to your computer and see how long you wore the mask last night.

The fact that you were able to sleep well last night while wearing your mask is evidence that you are capable of facing your fears.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Looking back you are right you did mention it in #15. Unfortunately in this thread and one other, people were telling me to get a humidifier for my bedroom. I assumed you were also referring to this humidifier i was supposed to purchase. Naturally because I did not have it yet, I didn't pay much attention to comments about its settings.
Only now do i realize you were referring to the humidifier here on this machine.

I will have to look for the alert feature.

I stated that I "PANIC" when I cannot Breathe...............anyone would. That is an entirely separate issue.
I do not, nor have not, panicked in relation to this machine. I haven't ANY fear of it. Nor do I have ANY fear of SA or any negative thoughts at all. I am not one of these people sorry to have this diagnosis.

I am a mouth breather and always have been. I was tested for SA because after spending a lot of money though out my life on braces teen cleaning, etc, all of a sudden I have developed an inordinate amount of cavities that have never been seen on me before so after filling them all, the dentist wondered if I had Sleep Apnea for they are discovering that Mouth Breathers often start to lose their teeth in their 50s and up and they want to cure whatever it is causing this before I could start to lose teeth.............because when one sleeps with their mouth open there is no saliva happening and its the saliva that has stuff in it that fights the bacteria in your mouth. Without saliva, the bacteria triples and tooth decay multiplies.
THAT WAS WHY I WAS SENT FOR SLEEP APNEA TESTS.
No other reason to think I had it.

I was given a FF mask. No good. Although I loved the fit and the mask and was sad to give it up, apparently it did not work becaUse i opened my mouth every night and got cotton mouth.
I would assume I was getting stuffed up then and opened my mouth to breathe. But with the FF mask I can only assume. I have no way of being sure.

I LOVED the nasal mask as soon as I tried it out becaUse for some reason I NEVER opened my mouth when using it.
I think its because they gave me a mans version and its a bit big so it sits on my upper lip but there is no leaking but by sitting on my upper lip, I believe that is why i don't open my mouth with it on. I don't think it can open quite so easily. As I tend to sleep with my head almost on my chest, there is likely no room for the lower mouth to open.

wHICH would explain to me why my mouth is not opening when I become congested. Instead i was suffocating.
It was NOT FEAR.
I couldn't breathe.
When I was sort of awake and took off the mask I KNOW it was because i was unable to breathe as well, hence why I assume when i was dead to the world it was for the same reason. I was unable to breathe!!!!!

In any event, I am not going to argue this. I know what i know and you are entitled to believe what you wish. I am not the sort to argue or belabour a point UNLESS i know the other person is dead wrong and i am 100% right and in this instance i am.
It was not fear. I was simply unable to breathe!
I turned off the climate control so there is no more moisture and may not even fill up the humidifier after this.......THAT appears to have been the issue all along.
It would also appear that Peters wife suffers from the same problem IF i read his posts correctly.
It really is quite simple and why people are insisting on telling me something it wasn't is rather aggravating.
But you and Peter can discuss this all you wish. I am done.

evident i have faced my fears? /sighs
I would kindly suggest locking this thread here and now.
(07-03-2014, 07:38 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Why on earth would my FF work if I am opening my mouth to breathe through it and end up feeling as if I have an extremely dry mouth with cotton wool i it?
So you are suggesting that I should go back to an FF mask after I have read post after post of how a FF really isn't great for mouth breathers and that being why?
Generally FFM's are considered to be the answer for mouth breathing, if you can't fix the mouth breathing with a chin strap or something.

If your nose clogs up and you can't fix it, an FFM is your only choice. If you can't breathe through your nose due to a deviated septum or similar problem, an FFM is your only choice.

I think FFM's should only be recommended to those who have certain problems with nasal masks and can't fix them. Some people DO need an FFM.

If you mouth breathe with a FFM, you may end up with cotton mouth to some degree. If you mouth breathe with a nasal mask, you will end up with worse cotton mouth and will probably leak enough air that your CPAP is not effective.

Some FFM users have to deal with cotton mouth. Some people use chin straps with FFM's to help reduce cotton mouth, but some FFM users just have to live with cotton mouth. It's still better than apnea.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
(07-03-2014, 01:42 PM)archangle Wrote:
(07-03-2014, 07:38 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Why on earth would my FF work if I am opening my mouth to breathe through it and end up feeling as if I have an extremely dry mouth with cotton wool i it?
Generally FFM's are considered to be the answer for mouth breathing, if you can't fix the mouth breathing with a chin strap or something.

If your nose clogs up and you can't fix it, an FFM is your only choice. If you can't breathe through your nose due to a deviated septum or similar problem, an FFM is your only choice.

I think FFM's should only be recommended to those who have certain problems with nasal masks and can't fix them. Some people DO need an FFM.

If you mouth breathe with a FFM, you may end up with cotton mouth to some degree. If you mouth breathe with a nasal mask, you will end up with worse cotton mouth and will probably leak enough air that your CPAP is not effective.

Some FFM users have to deal with cotton mouth. Some people use chin straps with FFM's to help reduce cotton mouth, but some FFM users just have to live with cotton mouth. It's still better than apnea.

[Image: like.jpg]
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
(07-01-2014, 10:37 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Diamount, are you talking about the VPAP Auto or the VPAP Adapt?

On the VPAP Auto can you set max IPAP and min EPAP to the same number, which I guess would force you to set PS to zero?

Can you put the VPAP Auto in CPAP mode?

I realize I could find the answers out myself by fiddling with my machine but right now it's so new to me that I'm having a hard enough time figuring out how to make it do my bidding. I don't want to mess around with the settings until I get things set up the way I want and feel comfortable with getting some good data. ResScan is new to me, and I'm kind of waiting on the SH v0.9.6 release, too.

the vpap auto does not vary PS, the vpap adapt does vary PS,

the vpap auto has cpap, s and vauto modes, so it will behave directly as an elite, vpap s, and vpap auto. if you set PS at 0-3, and set epap min and ipap max separately, then it acts like an autoset.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,517 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,062 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  help needed teamarliss 7 290 02-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 277 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.