Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day?
RE: Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day?
Have you ever had or considered a spirometry test (pulmonary function test)?

I have a-fib & had your symptoms, PFT test results came out: COPD & asthma (both minor)

Just suggesting!

sb.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2020, 10:28 AM)snorybob Wrote: Have you ever had or considered a spirometry test (pulmonary function test)?

I have a-fib & had your symptoms, PFT test results came out: COPD & asthma (both minor)

Just suggesting!

sb.

I can run for at least an hour daily and can run a marathon so you think I still might have COPD?
Post Reply Post Reply
My COPD didn't cause a lot of trouble until about 6 months ago, although I've had it for about 4 years. It used to just cause shortness of breath and some difficulty breathing, on average one maybe two times per day. I wouldn't have got the diagnosis without the PFT. Running isn't the same as a medical diagnostic test. Problems like this have a cause. To find the cause, take some diagnostic tests. If you think it may be A-Fib, talk to the doc and get tested.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2020, 12:45 AM)ChinaMan Wrote: I think a lot of folks here also have Atrial fibrillation. We should discuss more extensively about Atrial Fibrillation on this forum.

I highly suspect I have Atrial Fibrillation. The only thing I need is a diagnosis.

There isn't a whole lot to discuss any more than there is to say about obesity, mood disorders, diabetes, and other co-morbidities associated with sleep apnea.  Yes, they matter, and they're serious, and everyone should both seek expert help and actually do something about them.  But, they are like having a VW beetle and a Focus in the same garage.  Two different entities with two different ways to handle them.

I didn't actually admit to it in so many words in my first response to you on the first page, but I learned I have apnea after experiencing AFib near the ends of two long runs.  It wasn't until all other tests were performed that my internist called for a polysomnography.  It was then that I learned I was categorized as 'severe.'  And...why I developed AFib.

Yes, you do need a definitive diagnosis for VTach and AFib, and other disordered heart function. Each will require an intervention that includes treatment for apnea, but they're not the same horse.  In my case, I am now on three medications permanently (unless I get ablation of the SA node and it works, which is becoming more likely).  I take a rate control medication which both reduces rate and reduces the power of each contraction, and I'm on a fancy anticoagulant to prevent clots in the atrium that won't flush quickly when in fibrillation.  Those are for the heart.  My PAP machine is for the other problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was having trouble with shortness of breath and it turned out to be AFIB. Ended up having a cardiac ablation procedure and after six months my ticker is still ticking smoothly. The Docs do say that my heart may well go out of sync again and that usually means another ablation. Haven’t decided if I want to do that again. Guess I’ll just wait and see when or if the time comes. I’m 74.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rapid Breathing-Fractured Sleep-Out of Breath Fixit50 76 4,016 01-31-2024, 01:37 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  Do nasal cpap help to not breath through mouth? hejohoo 10 1,428 09-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
Smile [Symptoms] Aerophagia chart - possible reasons? outasleep 3 802 08-18-2023, 01:32 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Shortness of Breath - Low Oxygen level Sandyelle 3 614 07-17-2023, 07:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad Causes of Expiatory Mouth Breath? Norman2195 8 858 05-31-2023, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Treatment] Struggle to breath in with CPAP davroman 4 542 05-29-2023, 06:39 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.