Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rebreathing question
Rebreathing question
Many nights I wake with my heart and pulse racing. I have been trying to understand why.
I sleep with eye covers and tonight when I awoke they had partially dropped down and were covering or at least partially cover the vents that allow air out, so as I understand through those vents you get fresh oxygen

Is it possible that something like this could cause rebreathing and the effects that wake me up

What other things might cause rebreathing

I am going to be tested for oxygen drops during the night but after what happened tonight I believe that I am suffering a side effect of using Cpap ,rebreathing,and that this may be responsible for my inability to stay asleep all night. This may be causing oxygen drops during the night? Is this common?

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know where there might be some information about this. or perhaps others describing similar events.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rebreathing question
(06-01-2012, 07:13 AM)Harry Wrote: I sleep with eye covers and tonight when I awoke they had partially dropped down and were covering or at least partially cover the vents that allow air out, so as I understand through those vents you get fresh oxygen
The mask vents holes are for the exhaled air as you breath out to escape as fresh air coming through the mask to breath in so you've to keep them clear at all times otherwise rebreathing might occur which is very dangerous.

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk
I only just discovered this may be one reason I'm rebreathing

I have been experiencing this unpleasant wake up about once a night

I'm having memory problems as well
I'm starting to think the Cpap treatment is involved in this
And having discovered this one possibility it seems even more obvious

I'm wondering what else causes lack of oxygen through the night as I use my Cpap
And any other insights members might have

Post Reply Post Reply
I would be afraid to wear something that could cover the mask vents. This, I believe, would certainly cause re-breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2012, 07:13 AM)Harry Wrote: Many nights I wake with my heart and pulse racing. I have been trying to understand why.

My first suspicion is that you're having an apnea. If you note the time you wake up, you can check with the software and see if this is true.

Quote:I am going to be tested for oxygen drops during the night but after what happened tonight I believe that I am suffering a side effect of using Cpap ,rebreathing,and that this may be responsible for my inability to stay asleep all night.

You can purchase an oximeter and check this for yourself. SleepyHead will even allow you to synchronize the oximeter readings with your CPAP data.

One of the effects of CPAP therapy is induced central apnea. You can check with your software to see if you are experiencing central apneas, and how long they last. They can lead to oxygen desats and arousals.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regular apneas and hypopneas can lead to desats, too.Desats can certainly cause your symptoms
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds more like you are having apnea events. Your profile says S9. Which one? If it does not have 'Escape' in the name, it keeps data.

I urge you to speak to your doctor as soon as possible. There could be other things going on to cause the symptoms such as the memory loss.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Harry. The fresh air is coming to your nose through the tube as the machine pushs the fresh air under your pressure. The mask holes as for exhaleing and to allow CO2 to escape. As long as your machine is on, it is impossible for air to enter through these holes.
As others have posted, I believe you are having some apnea problems that need settled, either via a different type of XPAP machine or a change in your pressure.
The racing heart and waking up are symptoms of apnear appearance.
A visit to your sleep Doc is recommended.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Harry
You posted recently that you bought a non recording oximeter but you need one that does record the level of oxygen while sleeping such as CMS-50D which can be bought from Supplier #19 also check the review in the products review forum. Its difficult to say whether the problem CPAP is related as other health issues, life style and even some medication can mess with our sleep. Oxygen levels shouldn't be dropping with the correct cpap set pressure. Whats your S9 pressure range settings and also please whats your titrated pressure, S9 pressure/leak stats (median, 95% and max), how many hours you sleep with mask
Post Reply Post Reply
If your CPAP is putting out more than 4 cmH2O pressure, and your mask vents aren't plugged, you shouldn't be rebreathing enough to matter.

If you can muster the presence of mind when you wake up, reach up and see if you can feel the airstream coming out of the mask. Open your mouth and let some air flow through to be sure your CPAP machine is still blowing. Consciously inhale and exhale, feeling the airflow to be sure everything is working right.

If your eye cover is covering the air vents, that could cause problems in theory, but I have my doubts that it would obstruct the vents enough to matter.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Rebreathing Issues Geri Monsen 19 2,091 09-29-2021, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Best Nasal Pillow for Leaks and Proper Exhalation / Rebreathing at Low Pressures hoselife 6 1,331 03-01-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Rebreathing / acceptable flow Boodmaster 15 2,323 07-15-2020, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space for Dreamwear or N30i drmaestro 4 1,075 06-12-2020, 03:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation [Health] Interpreting sleep study results, EERS enhanced expiratory rebreathing space JoeyWallaby 221 21,605 12-29-2019, 08:12 AM
Last Post: JoeyWallaby
  [Equipment] Fabrication of an Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space (EERS) sherwoga 73 7,559 11-29-2019, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] Rebreathing causing Hypercapnia (CO2 – Carbon Dioxide Poisoning) HULK 64 53,434 03-27-2019, 12:06 AM
Last Post: mdmarmd

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.