Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recall Successes
Recall Successes
looking for successes thru insurance in replacing PR machines.  how did you do it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recall Successes
I had been using my Dreamstation since February 2016. I contacted my Medicare Advantage insurance and said the machine was under recall and that I would like to have a new machine, but not PR. My insurance company worked with my doctor's office and DME to make sure all was in order. My new machine was delivered within a matter of days. It's a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. The experience was seamless.

Edit: P.S. I would not have known about the recall had I not heard about it here. Thank you all.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
This kind of falls under this heading...

Well, yesterday was a MAJOR surprise, I had an appointment to see my sleep Doctor’s new medical assistant about my sleep apnea, and OMG Also I am at the 5 years since I got stuck with my First Dreamstation APAP, (which I bootlegged into a ASV). So under Medicare rules, I can get a new machine.

They wanted to see me about this replacement machine.

The BIG surprise is Joann (The new assistant) is into sleep therapy and very good and I am getting a full new sleep study FOR COMPLEX SLEEP APNEA on Aug 10th. She is the first ray of light in what for 8 years was blighted by poor Dr.s and such poor help I have had to go it on my own.

She was poorly informed about the recall and I helped fill her in.

Looking over my old sleep studies she said I should have had an ASV machine all along. She feels it is a sure thing so I will be putting in for a ResMed Air Curve 10 ASV. And MY DME carries both makers ResMed and Phillips…

And YES I want a ResMed ASV machine. I will keep my Dreamstation ASV as a backup.

And yes I will remove the foam from inside the ResMed machine after a month so I have a good record of treatment and then remove it and see if there is any change in my treatment.

Rich

PS I thought this fits better here not the Recall Thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
racprops tell me about your insurance. Straight Medicare or what? Since your machine is over 5 tears is this a 'normal' replacement or a Recall replacement?
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare will replace a machine after 5 years use. I got my Airsense 10 almost exactly 5 yrars to the day from my receiving my Respironics 560. The doctor did have to present a case for it, however-- he used 5 full years, high number of hours number of hours, and getting noisy (which it was).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi folks!

Take note that Gideon is looking for those of you that may have had success getting your Cpap replaced due to the Phillips recall, not so much due to a normal 5 year replacement.

If you are using a Phillips Respironics machine that has been recalled, did you contact your DME, Doctor or Insurance?
Did you have any success in procuring a replacement?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I honestly don't know whether my quick replacement was due to the recall or the passage of 5 years; however, I think that the recall may have sped up the process.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't doubt that it did. We have seen successful early replacement by Medicare because of the recall.

Many have replaced their DS1 out of pocket. I applaud you for taking immediate action.

Looking for that with a "standard" insurance.

Also, though I think it is too early, PR repairs of their impacted device.

The other category is a refusal by PR, because your device is beyond the 2 year warranty, or your device is over 5 years and beyond its replacement cycle.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine is a standard 5 years replacement...
Post Reply Post Reply
When you say Standard insurance? Do you mean not Medicare or Medicaid?

If yes I never even bothered calling my clinic or insurance. Neither have called me. I just buy all my stuff it’s cheaper and less hassle. I never meet my deductible anyway. So I have to pay anyway.

I can call my insurance and ask them if you want.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,064 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,232 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Equipment] Mask recall? rltarbu 8 464 01-28-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad Dreamstation Recall Replacement issues jimbob123 4 460 01-18-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New DS2 from recall, what about old DS? NoSnoreDave 10 1,541 01-09-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jtmAZ
  Phillips Recall Question... jonesresidence 9 603 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed F30i recall (for warnings about magnets) NelsonM 7 988 12-27-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: alpharomeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.