Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recall Successes
RE: Recall Successes
Yes, not medicare/medicaid.

Want to see examples of how the recall was processed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok I will call my insurance right now.  Maybe I will get another new machine.. Big Grin
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I had stated my insurance is Medicare earlier.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Then you may be able to get a new machine, call and ask. Be sure to ask them to go deeper, ask a super etc. if the initial answer is no.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have Cigna.

They said if the clinic will send in a claim reversal form from the time you got the PR DS1 in my case 4 years ago.  Then they will give that money (benefit) back to you. That means they will take that money back from who ever they paid 4 years ago.  Then you can use the money to buy a new machine as long as you meet the criteria.  Which for cigna means you need a new sleep study and be on compliance watch for 3 months.  

I asked what if you can't get a reversal claim since the machine is 4 years old what would be the process.  She said it would be the Standard Process.  Get a sleep study > proving you have sleep apnea > file a claim > be on compliance watch for 90 days.

I asked what if I bought a machine can I send in a form to get reimbursed.  She said as long as I sent in a current Sleep Study proving I had sleep apnea.  I said I had a sleep study 4 years ago the states I have OSA for life 99 years.  She said I would need a Sleep study every 5 years to get a new machine.   She did say I could put my HRA dollars towards it without any reason,  So depending on how much HRA you have that would help.

I thanked her for her time and hung up.

So you can go through insurance.
Sleep Study $2000 plus
New machine ResMed $1800
Loss of time 9 hours over 2 days minimum

OR

Send in your Lifetime Prescription to a Supplier on the List
New Machine $750 
Lost time 30min tops.
Maybe get some HRA dollars if you fill out the form.

In general they didn't know of the recall nor did they care.  They said what did the manufacture say about the recall or the machine?  As to say just do that.

I am not surprised by any of this. Hope that helps.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2021, 10:06 AM)Gideon Wrote: Yes, not medicare/medicaid.

Want to see examples of how the recall was processed.

The recall is not an insurance problem. It’s a manufacturer problem.  What make you think private insurance would even care about the recall. 

When you say processed. What process are you thinking of?  

Private insurance these days are more like home owners. It’s for catastrophic need.  Depending on your deductible most would have to pay out of pocket any way.  Unless you have multiple conditions or an illness with high costs like Diabetes. 

The clinic did not call me.
The DME I fired 4 years ago didn’t call me. 
The insurance company didn’t call me. 
Why because it’s not their fault or problem. 

Phillips hasn’t emailed, called or sent a letter. 
Even though it is their problem. 

Who takes care for me? ME. I bought a machine because I know who cares and who pays.  Me.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield MN Aware PPO health insurance and it has a clause to replace a CPAP machine before 5 years due to "unusual circumstances".  I saw my sleep doctor and got a new prescription and he put in an authorization request for a new machine. I haven't had a sleep study since 2002.  It was all approved--I get a new Resmed Airsense 10 next Tuesday (my DME just called today). 

My Dreamstation is 4 years old and due to be replaced in June 2022. My insurance will be renting the new machine and it will convert to purchase next year. I don't know if the fact my Dreamstation is an older machine had any impact in me getting a new one.

What will happen to my 4 year old machine?  I was expecting it to get repaired. If its more than 4 years old will that not happen because the warranty is only 2 years?  It doesn't say anything in the printed warranties that I have that this would be the fact with a recall.  I would think that when the machine was purchased (by my insurance) the expectation is that it would last for the 5 years. Shouldn't there be some sort of repair (at least) due to the fact it couldn't be used for the time specified at purchase? I was hoping it could be used as a backup machine (which it would have been if the recall hadn't happened).
Post Reply Post Reply
Important question, which of the 4 models are you getting? AutoSet or AutoSet for Her is prefered
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know the specific model yet--I was just told it was a Resmed Airsense 10.  I will find out on Tuesday. I will certainly ask about the different models. I'm not familiar with Resmed so wouldn't even know to ask. I have auto for the Dreamstation so I assume it would be something similar.
Post Reply Post Reply
then you should get one of the AutoSets, INSIST on it, no other machine matches your DS1.

AND check the run hours in the clinical menu to be sure it is a new unit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,057 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,126 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Equipment] Mask recall? rltarbu 8 463 01-28-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad Dreamstation Recall Replacement issues jimbob123 4 460 01-18-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New DS2 from recall, what about old DS? NoSnoreDave 10 1,541 01-09-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jtmAZ
  Phillips Recall Question... jonesresidence 9 598 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed F30i recall (for warnings about magnets) NelsonM 7 987 12-27-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: alpharomeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.