Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recall Successes
RE: Recall Successes
Good advice--I will do that. I did intend to ask if it was a new unit or refurbished etc because I wouldn't want to buy a machine for 5 years use  that had already been used for some time.

I also don't know if I will just have a "rental' and then a new machine provided next June.

Just checked and my CPAP pressure is indeed 7-20 but the highest I've been is around 14. I don't know if that is good or bad. I was diagnosed with pretty bad sleep apnea back in 2002.
Post Reply Post Reply
Contacted my DME--I'm getting the Resmed Airsense 10 AutoSet. It will be a new machine. My new replacement date will be 2026.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hoping this will be a success story - let me know if I should post elsewhere.

Replaced my DreamStation out of pocket with a Resmed Airsense 11 Auto (USA) from Supplier 33 who has some in stock.  Figured I prioritize my health and attempt to get results from insurance after.  I have BCBS of CA.  Quick search online provided this information I plan to use with them in an attempt to get some level of reimbursement.  I'll update as I proceed.  

Blue Cross Blue Shield of California Medical Policy / Diagnosis and Medical Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome
Replacement of a PAP device after the warranty period (usually 2-5 years) may be considered medically necessary with all of the following:
  I. Documentation that the device is no longer functioning properly 
  II. Documentation of clinically significant OSA (a repeat sleep apnea test is not required if prior test results showing the need for the device is provided)
  III. Documentation of current compliance prior to the problem with the machine
  IV. Documentation of benefit from the device (improved daytime sleepiness or other symptoms; improved hypertension control, etc.)
  V. Documentation the device is out of warranty

Replacement of a PAP device within the warranty period may be considered medically necessary with all of the following:
  I. Documentation that the device is no longer functioning properly
  II. Documentation of clinically significant OSA (a repeat sleep apnea test is not required if prior test results showing the need for the device is provided)
  III. Documentation of current compliance prior to the problem with the machine
  IV. Documentation of benefit from the device (improved daytime sleepiness or other symptoms; improved hypertension control, etc.)
  V. Documentation that the cost of repairs would exceed that of replacement

Obviously not sure about that last term as I am within warranty (about two years in...)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2021, 09:51 AM)factor Wrote: When you say Standard insurance?  Do you mean not Medicare or Medicaid?

If yes I never even bothered calling my clinic or insurance.  Neither have called me.  I just buy all my stuff it’s cheaper and less hassle. I never meet my deductible anyway. So I have to pay anyway.

I can call my insurance and ask them if you want.

Your Cpap supplier should call you alert you when it’s time to replace mine did.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a unique situation where I had purchased a Dreamstation from Amazon on my own about 4 years ago. So when the recall came, I just called my sleep doc and finally got an Airsense 11. I still have the old machine tucked away...not sure what to do with that thing. With my insurance, it's cheaper than the online cpap suppliers. I'm still working and have Anthem BCBS but l never meet my deductible either.
Post Reply Post Reply
Register your Dreamstation with the recall site and see what happens. You should end up with a backup machine one of these years.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,217 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Equipment] Mask recall? rltarbu 8 464 01-28-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad Dreamstation Recall Replacement issues jimbob123 4 460 01-18-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New DS2 from recall, what about old DS? NoSnoreDave 10 1,541 01-09-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jtmAZ
  Phillips Recall Question... jonesresidence 9 603 01-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed F30i recall (for warnings about magnets) NelsonM 7 988 12-27-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: alpharomeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.