Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Received my equipment - question about nasal mask tightness
Received my equipment - question about nasal mask tightness
Firstly, thank you so very much to everyone for all your help and advice. It has been invaluable!

Either I got lucky, or it was in part to the multiple phone calls I placed before receiving my equipment...but I had nothing but a good experience with the doctor's office and the DME. I ended up getting a ResMed S9 AutoSet, H5i humidifier with the nicer water container, ClimateLine tubing, and Mirage FX nasal mask. I've only had two nights so far to use the equipment. It's certainly going to take some getting used to. I'm not sleeping all that well and am still waking up feeling like a zombie in the morning.

Anyway, question is about the tightness of the mask. I have it just tight enough so that it doesn't leak when I'm lying on my back. If I lie on my side though, it's inclined to leak. Should I try tightening it some more? Is it just that I haven't worked out the right way to lie on my pillow yet with it when on my side?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

P.S. Oh, I do have one more question. Is there not a way to view my AHI for the night on the machine? Is it only readable by using one of the software options, like SleepyHead? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Received my equipment - question about nasal mask tightness
(05-03-2013, 08:08 AM)vertigo Wrote: Anyway, question is about the tightness of the mask. I have it just tight enough so that it doesn't leak when I'm lying on my back. If I lie on my side though, it's inclined to leak. Should I try tightening it some more? Is it just that I haven't worked out the right way to lie on my pillow yet with it when on my side?
P.S. Oh, I do have one more question. Is there not a way to view my AHI for the night on the machine? Is it only readable by using one of the software options, like SleepyHead? Thanks!

With CPAP therapy the devil is in the mask. I'm currently in my ninth mask. Don't be afraid to experiment with different masks. If you're newly diagnosed your DME may let you switch masks at no charge within 30 days or so.

As for the tightness, the common wisdom that everyone will tell you is that looser is better. In my case I find that tighter makes it not leak so much. Go ahead and experiment.

And you can definitely see some of the data on the machine display. It's just that it won't give you all the data and the machine doesn't display graphs. I strongly recommend SleepyHead. Once you start viewing your data on the computer you'll never want to bother reading it on the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yah, get the SleepyHead software going. The price is right too! (free!)

Everyone's face is different, keep trying different strap tightening schemes and different masks if you can.
Above all always start with clean face and freshly cleaned and grease free mask. It makes all the difference!

Good luck!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2013, 08:08 AM)vertigo Wrote: Firstly, thank you so very much to everyone for all your help and advice. It has been invaluable!

You're welcome. All the research shows that support is often crucial to success with CPAP therapy, but the medical industry can't figure out a way to charge us for it, so they don't provide very much of it. Apnea Board is here to help fill that gap.

Quote:Either I got lucky, or it was in part to the multiple phone calls I placed before receiving my equipment...but I had nothing but a good experience with the doctor's office and the DME.

There are good providers out there, and lots of people are lucky enough to stumble upon them.

The leak issue you're having with your nasal mask is the same one I had. I just couldn't get the darn thing to stay sealed when I changed position. And I do a lot of position changing, although not as much now as I did back then.

The solution for me was the nasal pillows mask. They stay sealed a lot better when I change positions.

I don't know about the display on your machine as I use a different brand. I do know that both ResScan and SleepyHead software will work well with your machine, and both are free. You'll likely find ResScan to be more reliable, but SleepyHead more meaningful.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have already received a LOT of great advice to help you on your journey.

A tip you might want to try is to pull the mask away from your face a little bit after you turn on your machine. This will allow the "sealing ring" to inflate. Then let the mask rest on your face.

I had that mask when I was prescribed my latest machine. I loved it. My doctor did not due to leakage.

Your mileage may vary.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2013, 08:08 AM)vertigo Wrote: P.S. Oh, I do have one more question. Is there not a way to view my AHI for the night on the machine? Is it only readable by using one of the software options, like SleepyHead? Thanks!

Yep, real easy to AHI from the previous night. Simply turn off the pressure and press the top button that has the "I" for "Info" on it, seen in this picture (to the immediate left of the round push dial):

[Image: s9-pic1.jpg]

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
You may also have to go into the "clinician's menu" and set "Sleep Quality" to "On" if you don't see AHI.

Check the CPAP setup manuals if you haven't already.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all so much for your help. I ended up tightening the mask just a little bit more and that seems to have solved (for the most part) the leak issue. Also, it did turn out that I had to go into the clinician's menu and set Sleep Quality to on. Now I'm able to view my AHI each morning. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  Has anyone ever received a refund on cpap after 3 months. Mwilson123 0 200 02-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mwilson123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.