Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recently Diagnosed. CPAP or Mouthpiece?
Recently Diagnosed. CPAP or Mouthpiece?
Hello, i'm new to the forum, but i've suffered from snoring for the better part of 20 years. Back in November, I visited a sleep clinic, and did an at home sleep study. I was diagnosed with borderline severe sleep apnea and shockingly, the clinic said that I was a "perfect candidate" for one of their $2K mouthpieces!... Too-funny Because of insurance deductibles, and the fact that it was coming up on the end of the year, I decided to wait until after the new year to address the situation. So now here I am (after getting kicked out of bed again last night), and I'm wondering about the effectiveness of a $2k mouthpiece, vs a pre-owned CPAP. I already know that I've got sleep apnea, so I would prefer to avoid a return trip to the sleep clinic, since they're just going to try to steer me towards one of their expensive options. So, I guess I'm really just looking for advice from the community here. Based on the results of my sleep study (which I have), would it be possible to buy a pre-owned CPAP, use some software, watch some video tutorials, and get somewhat decent results? At this point, anything is better than snoring like a freight train, and I need to address it soon. I did some quick looking online, and you can get decent pre-owned CPAP's for relatively cheap vs new. Any help/advice/suggestions from the community here, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks.

-Couch Rider
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recently Diagnosed. CPAP or Mouthpiece?
Buy your wife a set of these for $100 so she can't hear you snoring, and have a nice life: 
[commercial link removed, instead do a Google search for "SoundOffSleep Noise Masking Earbuds with Snore Masking Technology"]

Quote:Block Out The Snoring Now…

SoundOff is a revolutionary product among anti-snoring devices. Designed to be worn in bed comfortably, these noise masking earbuds negate the sound of your snoring partner! They work by blocking the ear canal and preventing the two sound transmission mediums responsible for what we call “hearing.”

Oh, and I'd go with the much cheaper cpap machine, before I'd go for an oral appliance that may not even work at all.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Lookout for a resmed A10 Autoset online or a dreamstation and we can help you get sorted. Post your sleep study with any personal information removed and we can advise further
Post Reply Post Reply
I will post the results as soon as I can. Is the A10 the same as the S10?
Post Reply Post Reply
Current acceptable in Production Machines (ResMed and Philips Respironics, the 2 most popular manufactures)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37205) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro (DSX400x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP)

Current Machines to Avoid

• Any ResMed AirStart (Lack of full data capability)

• ResMed AirStart™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (all models, 37201) (Lack of full data capability)

• ResMed AirSense™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ (37015, 37203) (Lack of full data capability)

• Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP (DSX200x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Lack of full data capability)
Note: These are current machines, there are older models that have full data capability that are available via secondary markets if budget is an issue. Please inquire on the forum and your questions will be answered.

You want a machine that records full data.  With that you can, with help here, see how your settings impact your apnea.   The Auto CPAPs above are very highly recommended and most here will recommend the ResMed over the Respironics.  By full data you can drill down and see the "shape" of every breath you take while on the machine.  We don't normally need to drill that far down but we don't hesitate when needed.

Fred

Read the links in my sig, it will give you good insight into getting started.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very good info Fred. Thanks. I'm looking at a ResMed S-10 Airsense on Craigslist with item# 37030, but I can't find much info on that item#.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that item could be what we call a brick.

Look for a Autoset or an Autoset for her.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred, here is the unit I'm curious about. It say Airsense 10 Autoset on the front.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Read this post.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid240974

On-line purchasing is discussed.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2018, 05:32 PM)housemusic1 Wrote: Fred, here is the unit I'm curious about. It say Airsense 10 Autoset on the front.

I could not read the model on the front, but the catalog number on the label crosses to a ResMed Autosense 10 AutoSet.  That is IMHO one of the best machines to get.

Is it new or used?  How much?  And what are the total Run hours?  (not the treatment hours which can be reset)

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 712 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 381 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 113 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 504 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 173 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 339 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Oscar Advice for recently diagnoses UARS SleepTea 1 351 01-26-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.