Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recently Diagnosed, First Post, Couple Q's
RE: Recently Diagnosed, First Post, Couple Q's
Here's from last night, a week on CPAP. From what I've researched, increasing my minimum pressure might help with the flow limitation flags? Also, could just be that I've got some congestion. My nightly chart seems a lot "cleaner" than the first few days!
Post Reply Post Reply
The question is How do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't really feel any better or worse than pre-CPAP. I'm thinking that as I get more used to wearing the mask, once that's "normal", I'll generally feel better? But a week in so far, I don't really feel different throughout my day. If I do feel better, it's only slightly.
Post Reply Post Reply
There’s not much you can do with a Respironics machine except to raise the minimum a bit.
I would raise it from 6cm to 7cm and see if it would clean up some snores and FL.

Also, if your using Flex at 3, turn it down to 2. You’ll still get an exhale pressure drop of approximately 1.5 to 2cm Pressure, but it may feel more natural.

If your not bothered by the FL, then don’t make any changes. Go by how you feel, which comes first.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2019, 06:53 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Also, if your using Flex at 3, turn it down to 2.  You’ll still get an exhale pressure drop of approximately 1.5 to 2cm Pressure, but it may feel more natural.

Am I correct in that the Flex setting of 3 allows the least amount of pressure (easiest to exhale) and 1 makes it harder to exhale? The manual says "The setting of "1" provides a small amount of pressure relief, with higher numbers providing additional relief."

So going from 3 to 2 would make slightly harder to exhale? I'd think that'd be less natural?
Post Reply Post Reply
Flex is a flow based pressure relief algorithm and is not equal to EPR in Resmed. The most pressure relief you can get with a Philips machine is 2-cm, and both settings 2 and 3 provide that level of pressure relief. The difference between 2 and 3 Flex settings is mostly timing, so try them both and see what works best for you. My observation with AFlex and CFlex was that a setting of 3 actually resulted in more events and less comfort, and that seems true in observing results on the forum; especially where flow limitation is present. Since it works on flow, results vary between individuals, and the best advise may be to experiment with the settings. Your results are looking very good either way.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apologies for not keeping my stuff together, here's a link to a 2nd thread I made about feeling suffocated. I resolved that issue with input from others, bumped up my minimum pressure a bit, played with flex as well.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ng-Feeling
Post Reply Post Reply
New emerging problem I need help/input on. Recently, starting February 1st 2020, I decided to start losing weight. To date (from 2/1/2020 to 4/15/202) I've lost 50 pounds, from about 285lb to 234lb. I've worked on my settings to get my average AHI to 1 or below since getting my machine and getting input (first post of thread). But now my AHI is going up. At first I thought maybe my minimum was too high, so I decided to go back to "factory" setting/prescription of 6-20. But when it didn't seem to be helping, I've now gone back to what was working well for me, 10-20, but still, doesn't seem to be working like it was. Other important notes that I'm sure I'll get pointers on... I've still using the original heated hose, headgear, water tank from 10/16/2019. I've only ever used distilled water. I've got 4 cushions I kinda rotate in use between cleanings. I keep adjusting the headgear straps to make sure I'm not leaking too much. Finally, since I started my weight loss journey, I've been noticing that I get a desert-dry mouth now, almost nightly. My wife says she's not hearing me snore nor is there rushing air out of my mouth.

Any tips? Please let me know if you'd like any specific daily charts. In the attached images, you can see all my data, drew some lines for you for prescrip changes I made, and the red line is start of weight loss.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
This is based on an analysis of, "me". As we gain weight, our body tissue stretches to accommodate this. However, as we lose weight out body tissue doesn't constrict as fast as our weight loss. This leaves floppy body tissue (definitely not a medical term!) that can cause airway occlusions. Only time and exercise can reduce these little reminders of "weight gone bye".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A daily chart with details is going to be much more helpful than the overview. What are you doing for the weight loss? That is impressive!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 144 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 52 891 1 hour ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 359 5 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 231 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 57 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,921 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.