Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recently started APAP, best decision for my health I've ever made.
Wink 
Recently started APAP, best decision for my health I've ever made.
I'm 45 and looking back I estimate I've had sleep apnea for close to 20 years. I knew I snored and always woke up tired but I just blew it off as normal aging and no big deal. 

In the last couple years my blood pressure was going up. (165/112) I blew it off for a while but decided it wasn't going to go back down on its own so I went to see my Dr. and he suggested blood pressure medicine. In the days leading up to the appointment I read about how sleep apnea could be a cause for hypertension so I asked if I should get a sleep study first to see if that was a possible cause. 

I had the sleep study, 2 of them actually because I literally didn't sleep a wink during the first one. The 2nd sleep study I managed to sleep enough to get a diagnosis of 47 AHI with O2 level dropping down to 79% at times. I was also told I didn't achieve REM sleep during the study so my numbers were likely to be worse than 47. 

Now that I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, it had my attention. I realized it was like someone was holding a pillow over my face and suffocating me hundreds of times a night, depriving my brain of oxygen and restorative sleep. 

So, I decided to do all of the research I could before my DME got ahold of me. I was surprised to learn about the wide range of health issues sleep apnea could possibly affect/cause. I realized a lot of them I had. High blood pressure, heart arrhythmias, memory loss, brain fog, lack of focus, anxiety, irritability, and always tired. 

I was excited to start therapy to see if CPAP would help some of the symptoms I was having so I did my homework by searching forums like this one. I learned that I should insist from my DME to give me a data capable APAP rather than a brick CPAP machine. I learned all I could about clinical menus & preferred ranges to set it around my titrated pressure. I learned about the different types of apneas, ramps, EPR, humidity, masks, and how to use Sleepyhead software. 

I think because I was so well informed on what to do and what to expect, I had immediate results that I can only describe as AMAZING!!It's been around one month since I started using my APAP & my AHI averages around 1! My blood pressure is down to around 118/82 regularly! I literally feel 20 years younger. I wake up on most days raring to go! I've noticed my brain fog has lifted, my focus is sharper, and I'm remembering things a lot better. My patience is better too. The world just seems brighter. My golf game is getting better too but that may or may not be related. Wink

I had forgotten what it felt like to get restorative sleep. It makes everything else easier. 

Knowing what I know now and how great I feel it upsets me that I didn't fix this years ago. I made life harder on myself for years, needlessly. Oh well better late than never right?

Anyways, I just wanted to thank the forum for helping me take right to this and for helping me get immediate results.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recently started APAP, best decision for my health I've ever made.
Hi Moonlight Graham - Welcome

It's good to hear that your treatment is working.  By your name, I suspect that you are a baseball fan and/or movie buff.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations! Keep up the treatment!
Post Reply Post Reply
It is absolutely great that your results are so good and welcome to the forum

Best Regards

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, yes I'm a baseball fan. Not so much professional baseball but I love watching my son play. (He plays college ball) 
Field of Dreams is one of my favorite movies Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 491 Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 66 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 376 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,364 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,108 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 550 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.