Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recently started taking a CNS depressant for sleep
Recently started taking a CNS depressant for sleep
Alongside sleep apnea I'm also diagnosed with type 2 Narcolepsy and prescribed Xyrem which is a CNS depressant.  I'm not entirely sure how it affects my sleep apnea, besides the AHI going up 1-2 points.  Is there anything seemingly wrong in the 2 attached charts where I took the medication?  I feel strange during the day, I'm not sure if it's fatigue. The medication is supposed to increase deep sleep and decrease awakenings but is known to make sleep apnea worse.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recently started taking a CNS depressant for sleep
Your data has a few interesting features that I assume are medication related. Post a couple nights of data pre medication that we can compare to.

Also curious to see a couple zoomed in views from Jan 26th starting at 2:30 and 7:00 (~ 4 minute duration views).

It will be interesting to see if this levels off as your body gets used to the medication. Nothing in the data throws up red flags, just has a few things I have honestly never seen before. Not sure if they would be enough to case the weird feeling you are sensing, I imagine xyrem could cause that feeling in a number of different ways as it is a pretty powerful medication.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2022, 11:22 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Your data has a few interesting features that I assume are medication related. Post a couple nights of data pre medication that we can compare to.

Also curious to see a couple zoomed in views from Jan 26th starting at 2:30 and 7:00 (~ 4 minute duration views).

It will be interesting to see if this levels off as your body gets used to the medication. Nothing in the data throws up red flags, just has a few things I have honestly never seen before. Not sure if they would be enough to case the weird feeling you are sensing, I imagine xyrem could cause that feeling in a number of different ways as it is a pretty powerful medication.

Sure, here are 3 nights without Xyrem -

I'll post the 4 minute durations in the next post because of the screenshot limit. What are the things you haven't seen before? I really appreciate the help.

Not sure if I did this correctly, but here are 4 minute views from 2:30 and 7:00

Post Reply Post Reply
And that is why you ask, the xyrem has amplified a couple things but it was present before you started.

What caught my eye was the fluttering tidal volume chart and highly variable respiration rate. In reviewing the images it appears to be due to breaths that are slightly odd shaped, it seems like you and the machine might be getting slightly out of sync.

I am not the most knowledgeable of PR machines but my understanding is that sometimes lower flex settings are better and I wonder if that would be the case for you. I would consider trying a flex 1, maybe someone with more PR experience can confirm.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I've gathered on Respironics and Flex, stay away from setting 3. It seems to go disruptive, so say typical comments.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 110 Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 201 Yesterday, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 145 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 406 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 217 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 185 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 233 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.