Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask leak tips for Respironics Amara View?
Mask leak tips for Respironics Amara View?
New user. Mouth breather. I tried a ResMed over the nose and mouth mask but had significant bruising on my nose after one night. I switched to the Respironics Amara View mask I used during cpap evaluation in hospital sleep lab. It's much more comfortable, but I seem to get it nicely set up in the evening, but awake to leaking mask and can't seem to fix it. I've tried it fairly loose, fairly tight, I've adjusted the head crown strap, I've re-seated it multiple times. All very frustrating.

I use the large mask. Sleep tech tried the medium, but determined I'm a large (or xtra large which they don't make).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask leak tips for Respironics Amara View?
I myself had similar issues with the Amara View. I never could get to work consistently. I went to the ResMed F20 mask next which was better but finicky. The best one I've had is the Fisher and Paykel Vitera.

With your other mask making marks, that's likely a too tight state. It actually makes leaks worse as it crushes or distorts the cushion.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had leaks also and gave up on it. I am now using the Resmed Airfit F30 which is very similar to the Amara View. I have used this for about 2 years with great success.
The Airfit seems to to have more of a curve than the View and because of that it fits better.

Car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I wanted to try the ResMed AirFit30 but my DME doesn't stock them. They have me set up to get one with my first shipment of supplies... but that won't be until February and I really don't want to pay cash for one in the meantime since my insurance will cover it otherwise. I have a call into them to see if there isn't something they can do to ship me one now as they had a 30-day return policy to ensure I get the right mask. Fingers crossed that I can get one soon, and that I'll have the positive experience you've had.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh I forgot about the F30i that I got at the last test. I believe it's similar to the ResMed F30, but has an air tube frame and top of the head elbow connection. I only used it that test night but it was OK ish. I just don't think a nasal cradle would have cut it for me.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, this is fun... figuring out how to make this all work. I'm 100% dedicated to making it work, but a bit frustrated by having a start that's plagued with leaks and not achieving success. Not giving up! Will get this nailed sooner or later.

Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
With both the Amara View and ResMed F30, the trick is the balance of tension between top straps and bottom straps,

your chin must be in your relaxed sleeping position, and final adjustment made after you lay down

too loose at the top (with mask settled) and it leaks into your eyes
too loose at the bottom and as you sleep and relax, it leaks from the lower lip and sounds like ..

The advice not to have it too tight is good, but means adjusting it when laying flat, not sitting up, start too tight and let off a little at a time

and don't smile in your dreams or it will leak out the side..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 9 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,352 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,062 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 154 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.