Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recommend a bacterial filter?
Recommend a bacterial filter?
I read the PR foam issues thread, and the idea of possibly using an inline filter.

- what recommended type and model for the Dreamstation AutoCPAP?
- silly question.. where to install on the machine - with or without the humidify unit?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recommend a bacterial filter?
I saw a video discussion with Philips reps and it was stated that it's not recommended to use these filters. 

AFAIK, it would only stop larger particles that might be released, but wouldn't do anything for the off-gassing of the foam.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Adding a filter on the Dreamstations discharge will reduce the amount of air delivered. It affects how the fan works.
(memory...fan laws (Mechanical Engineering) )
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I've seen a couple that go between the mask and end of the hose, that swear that they don't reduce airflow (which seems like that's impossible to me) but they also say not to use with a humidifier. And while it may stop the larger particles, they may not stop smaller particles (depending on the filter and particle size) and probably not gases either (that would definitely affect the airflow).
Post Reply Post Reply
Your best bet, if one exists on the market, is to use a HEPA filter designed for you machine.  I suspect that a bacterial filter, depending on what that means and what you purchase, might be too restrictive.  It will drive your machine's motor to use a lot more amperage to get sufficient airflow past such a filter, running hot as a result, or at least wearing out substantially faster.
Post Reply Post Reply
The inline antibacterial filter would be one that doesn't like humidity.

Certainly you can try this if you want. Make certain to edit your AB filter setting to ON.

A sample images

[Image: 15xjMkB.png]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A possible (temporary) solution to the VOCs (off gassing) from Philips devices could be an inline filter that can work safely with humidity, allow for good air flow without compromising the motor, yet stop the VOCs, small particles, and bacteria. That can be easily and affordably replaced frequently.

Does something like this exist?
Post Reply Post Reply
Most on line suppliers have bacterial filters but a bacterial filter will not remove VOCs, only particulates.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Why not something like a whole room air filtering machine? I'd think that would be the way to go.  Eat-popcorn

Some are pretty elaborate and would of course, have much better filters.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since a standard AB filter is not recommended, I devised my own method removing particulates which allows the humidity water tank and heated hose to still be used. It doesn't remove VOC's and something along the lines of a carbon filter would be needed for that.

Some can likely find flaws in this DIY method of air filtering, but it does not restrict air flow like an AB filter would and it will capture very fine particulates.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Water-Tank
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 117 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,874 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,179 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
Question What O2 measurement device do you recommend? hejohoo 4 598 08-08-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] cleaning the filter on a nasal mask msherman1000 3 909 06-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,804 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.