Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed 10 - SandBlasting Chest
RE: ResMed 10 - SandBlasting Chest
As I understand it you reduced your maximum pressure from 16 to 9 to try to address the distress you felt in your chest related to high pressure. Your current settings are 5-9 with EPR at 2. The Autoset is responding to flow limitations indicated in the graph by increasing rapidly to the maximum setting. It appears that even though you are limiting maximum pressure, you have having no apnea events, but a few RERA. Those are excellent results, especially if you are sleeping undisturbed with the lower maximum pressure. I disagree with previous advise and suggest you leave these settings in place for at least a few nights and decide if you are comfortable and sleeping well.

We have seen people in the forum that display flow limitation regardless of pressure, and who are adversely affected by high pressure. For these individuals, and apparently you, limiting the automatic pressure increases by setting a lower maximum pressure is the best way to get good therapy and avoiding a "run-away" machine. If you feel you need more air, I'm sure you know what you can do, but if you're comfortable, I'd stay with these settings which are working very well for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Which ResMed nasal pillow mask? Do you keep the vent diffuser clean?
What I'm thinking is a restricted vent might cause CO2 retention.

Just a thought.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Your flow limitations may be positional. Do you sleep on your back or side. Back sleeping can result in more flow limitations. Is it possible you are tucking your chin to your chest? This will cause significant flow limitations. use of a soft cervical collar and/or a different pillow may help. I use the buckwheat flax CPAPfit pillow available from Amazon. It is very comfortable and eliminated most of my flow limitations. A good soft cervical collar is also available from Amazon. I recommend the OTC cervical collar because it comes in a good choice of sizes and has a good sizing chart.

Resolving positional issues is as important as getting the right pressures.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You have a lot of good advice.

Clearly you are not sleeping well with your current settings, and one thing I've learned is that a low AHI doesn't necessarily mean all is well.
Your RERA index is 2.3 and that can be addressed with an increase in minimum pressure.

I would tend to agree with leave settings alone at .58 AHI if you were comfortable in your sleep, but you clearly are not.

One more thing you can try is to lower the humidity setting. Sometimes, it's not helpful when you have allergies and coughing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Couple of responses:
1. Humidity is higher because I found it helped with nasal dryness but will try lowering.
2. I "mostly" sleep on back as pillows tend to wander on side. I may be tucking chin but haven't noticed. Will consult on collar.
3. I clean my entire system weekly including hose, nasal pads. I have not done the reservoir as much and tend to rinse rather than wash based on previous advice. I found water bubbles/soap on bottom inside plastic when submerging and didn't like that.

I will review all this advice and get back to you. Thank you very much for the input as still no response from doctors office.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ottcpap,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy, and getting it dialed in to better meet your needs.
Keep us posted on your progress.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Quick update:

Well the garbage in my throat, allergies/bug..who knows.. was the right track it appears. I took Afrin yesterday to stop the post nasal drip that I should have realized was out of control in the first place. Suspect I was "drowning" in mucus... I did not wake last night after some initial jumping (likely paranoia) My lungs/pressure seem better and cranked max. pressure back to 14 for starters. Taking other meds today to keep drip under control.

Thanks to all clearly indicating it was NOT pressure killing me but likely something to do with the cold/allergies.   These events were incredibly scary. I did feel like I was stroking out or was having some seizure when woken abruptly.  See how it goes over next few days...

FYI. Donated to the cause as of today. This board is worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Back/Chest pain, need advice anthonyfg 3 487 09-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: anthonyfg
  Chest Pains. Set pressure? Dolla Bill 13 1,150 08-28-2023, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Dolla Bill
  ongoing chest pain msherman1000 3 562 08-23-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Chest strap heart rate monitor? YouTakeMyBreathAway 0 615 07-23-2023, 07:08 AM
Last Post: YouTakeMyBreathAway
Sad [Pressure] Aerophagia and chest soreness favosys 6 846 05-21-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: favosys
  New mask but chest still tight and flow limitations Summer 5 739 09-04-2022, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Summer
  chest pain after 5 years of cpap Twilight01 8 918 08-30-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.