Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recommendations for travel sized CPAP with humidifier
Recommendations for travel sized CPAP with humidifier
Good day All

I have been recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and in the process of finding the right machine and mask that works best for me.

I travel quite a bit, specifically long distance flights (9hours+) and need advice or recommendations on choosing a suitable machine for travel.

The size of the machine is key, but I would like one with a humidifier (if possible). Really looking for guidance on the different brands and experiences when travelling with the device.

Many thanks,
Aveshen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recommendations for travel sized CPAP with humidifier
Hi Aveshen Pillay,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have some long-haul trips coming up (13-16 hours) and have my set-up but yet to try it. It looks pretty neat and tidy though.

ResMed AirSense, with travel case and humidifier blank plate.
You generally can't use water in flight in case of turbulence, so ditching the humidifier I imagine will make the unit a bit smaller and easier to manage in the seat. The humidifier can still fit in the travel case for normal use at your destination. The ResMed travel case fits everything nicely (machine/hose/mask/power) and is well padded. It can be conveniently strapped on to the slide-up handle of a wheeled cabin bag.

ResMed PowerStation II lithium battery and travel case.
This also has its own carry case that is likewise well thought out. It can take two batteries if you are feeling expansive. Supposed to last 8-10 hours use per battery if no humidifier. Weighs about a kilo or so (couple pounds)

The gear does not count toward luggage and weight limits.

Getting pre-approval to take the stuff in cabin is a good idea. My upcoming trip is with Virgin - I faxed my request form to them and received my email approval the next day.
The other power option is to get a business class seat or one of the few specific economy seats with a power plug.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2016, 08:29 PM)Carbon Wrote: I have some long-haul trips coming up (13-16 hours) and have my set-up but yet to try it. It looks pretty neat and tidy though.

ResMed AirSense, with travel case and humidifier blank plate.
You generally can't use water in flight in case of turbulence, so ditching the humidifier I imagine will make the unit a bit smaller and easier to manage in the seat. The humidifier can still fit in the travel case for normal use at your destination. The ResMed travel case fits everything nicely (machine/hose/mask/power) and is well padded. It can be conveniently strapped on to the slide-up handle of a wheeled cabin bag.

ResMed PowerStation II lithium battery and travel case.
This also has its own carry case that is likewise well thought out. It can take two batteries if you are feeling expansive. Supposed to last 8-10 hours use per battery if no humidifier. Weighs about a kilo or so (couple pounds)

The gear does not count toward luggage and weight limits.

Getting pre-approval to take the stuff in cabin is a good idea. My upcoming trip is with Virgin - I faxed my request form to them and received my email approval the next day.
The other power option is to get a business class seat or one of the few specific economy seats with a power plug.

Question - do you have any idea what these items weigh. I need a humidifier, but I want something as light as possible to put in my suitcase. I know it doesn't count towards luggage weight, but I want to stuff it in my bag w/o using the travel bag that comes with it. Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sybil356, the Resmed Airsense 10 travel cases are beautifully designed to be about the size of a laptop case, and they even have a strap to fit over the handle of your carry-on roller. The CPAP (medical device) does not count against your carry-on limit.

Both the Resmed Airsense series, and Respironics Dreamstation series have become relatively lightweight and small. In my opinion, the advantages of these macines in terms of being quiet and comfortable to use, offsets any advantage of size/weight from a dedicated travel machine. Both machines can be separated from the humidifier, and both will work on international power grids with appropriate adapters. Resmed operates on a 24 volt DC power, while Respironics uses 12 volt DC power. This can make the Respironics easier to adapt to battery power, if that is a priority.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 614 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 447 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,441 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 603 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 699 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 306 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.