Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recommendations on computer memory brands
Recommendations on computer memory brands
I upgraded the memory on my late 2015 27” retina 5K iMac from 8GB SO-DIMM to 32GB about a year ago. The memory modules I purchased were made by Crucial. 3 out of 4  of the memory modules have failed, so I had to revert to the OEM 8GB memory I had replaced. 

Does anyone have recommendations on a quality brand of memory. The specs are as follows:
  • SO-DIMM

• PC3-14900

• Unbuffered

• Nonparity

• 204-pin

• 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Recommendations on computer memory brands
Coming from a perspective of one that had selected components to build a PC on NewEgg: 2 brands that I've found high consistent consumer ratings and specs are G.SKILL and Corsair. Note a qualifier, I've not yet used it built said project, but I'd consider those 2 for myself. I'm a bit surprised by the failures of your Crucial units, as their brand otherwise seemed good quality.
Dave
I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience and researched info regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional directions or advice.

OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Dealing With DME
Post Reply Post Reply
PS MitchS, curious, was it 204 or 240 pin? Wasn't sure if that's a typo.
Dave
I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience and researched info regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional directions or advice.

OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Dealing With DME
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the recommendations, Dave. They are 204 pin.

I picked Crucial due to the overall good reviews they received. They were also manufactured specifically for Mac equipment. I don’t know if it was just a bad run or what. I used best installation practices, including a grounding strap, when I installed the modules. My equipment is also protected by quality surge protectors. They operated well for a couple of years. They are well past the 45 day money back warranty period. I’m waiting on the manufacturer’s customer support to get back to me in regards them possibly being covered under the limited lifetime warranty.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
OK gotcha. I'm not coming up with that in generic computer component searches, so going by what you'd said about specific for Mac, it might be a bit harder to match up.
Dave

OSCAR Chart Organization
Mask Primer
Dealing With DME
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve found a couple different brands on Amazon. Ordering from Apple is an option, too.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Newegg has several the memory I’m looking for in several brands. Thanks for the suggestion.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
(12-21-2019, 09:39 PM)MitchS Wrote: I’ve found a couple different brands on Amazon. Ordering from Apple is an option, too.

Don’t order from Apple! You will pay far too much. New egg or Amazon or BestBuy if you can find a deal
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Apple was only a last option. I plan on buying third party again if the bad modules aren’t covered by warranty.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Nice shades on the avatar, Mitch.   Cool
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Photo Album AFM1 1 139 12-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Firefox Updates Causing Computer Crashes Melman 14 497 09-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Cool O2 Concentrator: Recommendations for Purchase? kiwii 5 1,085 05-10-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
Question Computer Keyboards PollCat 1 780 02-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Recommendations Needed on a Printer Purchase Sleepster 2 757 01-10-2018, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Gross Sudden computer shutdown DeepBreathing 26 2,942 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Computer Monitor Linearity surferdude2 6 1,726 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Perchas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.