Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Recovery Breaths
RE: Recovery Breaths
Kwhenrykerr, looks like an arousal, and it could be CA or OA. The apnea duration is so short, no recovery breath is going to occur.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Peyton and Srlevine1, here is an example of CSR. As you can see it goes on all night.  I chose this example because events are flagged as H, OA,  a second figure a little later in this same sequence and also shows CA.  With regard to event flag accuracy, you can see respiratory movement within the OA event, so it's clearly improperly characterized.

[Image: 7TSgeu3h.png]

[Image: EQz81TPh.png]

Not all events are flagged as CSR even though the same pattern is evident.  Here is a 54 second CA event where you can see the PRS1 pulses deflect the airway.

[Image: aUJHUZXh.png]

And here is an OA in the same sequence.  Can you tell the difference?

[Image: hNQgjxDh.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
kwhenrykerr,

I see no pressure pulse that the PR machine uses to test airway patency. Assuming that one was used, I see no change in flow during the apnea. That would indicate to me that the apnea is an obstructive one. There is also a nice recovery breath (or 2 or 3) that might tend to support that hypothesis.

My thoughts,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,

I definitely see what you are talking about and agree with your comments.

The identifier that I have tried to use in the past is whether there was a flow rate reflection of the FOT or pressure pulse. The absence of which should indicate an obstructive apnea and the presence of that reflection in the flow rate indicating a clear airway. It is not always clear and as far as the Resmed machines are concerned, I think that the machine can pick up faint FOT reflections in flow rate that our graphs are not fine enough detail for us to see.

These are my musings and as I have said, I have not looked at enough PR detail graphs to have developed any theories but it would seem to me that the same thing would hold true for the pressure pulses that PR uses.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider -- Thank you for the graphic  examples of CSR.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 834 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 342 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Intermittent large breaths jwest 0 286 08-20-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: jwest
Question [Diagnosis] What are these deep breaths and holds? phr00t 8 1,323 07-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Xeros
  Are my breaths normal? Long pauses, jagged lines. Nathan Graves 5 973 07-23-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: car54
  New issue "missing breaths" on ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV schleepyhead 4 762 02-17-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: schleepyhead
  How are snore breaths detected? Albercook 1 609 11-29-2022, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.