Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Red Eyes
Red Eyes
Cool The last few months I have been waking up with redness in both eyes, and, yesterday one side of one eye looked like I got banged. This effect doesn't seem to affect my vision, or discomfort. I have been on CPAP for about 10 years, but, 6 months ago I was retested and switched to an Auto A-flex machine, with a variable pressure between 11 to 16. My typical nightly pressure is around 12; my original CPAP pressure was 8. There are no major leaks according to the diagnostics,and my AHI is between 2-3. Has anyone had any similar problem, or does anyone think the machine, and/or mask (switched from a Comfort Gel to a PP Zest mask) could cause this condition?

Thanks for your comments. Willis
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Red Eyes
I would see the eye doc just to be on the safe side. I guess since it sort of coincided with using AUTO it may be that.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is your eye gummy or crusted in the morning?

Could be sheer coincidence. But yeah, since it seems to be getting worse, a trip to your GP or eye doc seems like a really really good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi willisclarke
Nasal pillows mask would eliminate leak going into eyes.
Any air leak to eyes is not to be tolerated at all not (zero tolerance).
May be fit the mask at the maximum pressure instead of lower or ramp pressure.
Quite possible need a new mask cushion also try a different mask.
I didn't use the Zest or ComfortGel but used ResMed SoftGel and Activa LT nasal masks both good
Both cushion fit on the frame but my favorite is the Activa LT much lighter and flexible mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
I actually tested positive for contact dermatitis to silicon,my whole face and especially my eyes are swollen and red from the cpap! so none of the nasal pillow masks and most of the other cpap masks can work for me. None of the non-silicone masks can make a seal so I have been stuck for a month without being able to use cpap. Does anyone know of alternatives I can try? I have been using cpap for almost ten years, but now don't know what to do!

I too have been using CPAP for about ten years, and it seems that I have developed a serious allergy to the silicone! You might also have this problem, developed over time. My doctor has not been helpful, simply encouraging me to find another mask, but none of the masks without silicone create a proper seal, or they are too big around the nose and put too much pressure directly on my eyes.

I bet we are the vanguard of a host of new CPAP problems related to silicone!
Anyone with advice, please respond.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2012, 04:44 PM)appelbaump Wrote: I actually tested positive for contact dermatitis to silicon,my whole face and especially my eyes are swollen and red from the cpap! so none of the nasal pillow masks and most of the other cpap masks can work for me. None of the non-silicone masks can make a seal so I have been stuck for a month without being able to use cpap. Does anyone know of alternatives I can try? I have been using cpap for almost ten years, but now don't know what to do!

I too have been using CPAP for about ten years, and it seems that I have developed a serious allergy to the silicone! You might also have this problem, developed over time. My doctor has not been helpful, simply encouraging me to find another mask, but none of the masks without silicone create a proper seal, or they are too big around the nose and put too much pressure directly on my eyes.

speak with the people that sell masks and may have heard the question already. go to number 6 in the supplier list at the top of the page and click on the live chat line and chat with a customer service rep. you can speak with any supplier, but its easy with this one and their chat line.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi appelbaump
Have you tried mask liner with a nasal mask
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2012, 05:03 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:
(03-20-2012, 04:44 PM)appelbaump Wrote: I actually tested positive for contact dermatitis to silicon,my whole face and especially my eyes are swollen and red from the cpap! so none of the nasal pillow masks and most of the other cpap masks can work for me. None of the non-silicone masks can make a seal so I have been stuck for a month without being able to use cpap. Does anyone know of alternatives I can try? I have been using cpap for almost ten years, but now don't know what to do!

speak with the people that sell masks and may have heard the question already. go to number 6 in the supplier list at the top of the page and click on the live chat line and chat with a customer service rep. you can speak with any supplier, but its easy with this one and their chat line.

Cant you use some kind of barrier cream to protect you from the silicon and also the the person with red eyes try re-checking your pressure and leak figures as it seems that it could be a small leak thats causing this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am "sensitive" to neoprene and to a lesser degree, silicone. I had a hard time with nasal masks but have had no issues at all with nasal pillows. Unless the rest of the mask touched too much of my face, that is. There was one, the Swift? Anyway, it lay between my nose and upper lip. After just a few nights, I developed a rash.

There are some special creams that create a barrier for contact allergies and sensitivities. Ask your GP or skin doc about it. They'd be better help than the sleep doc. Docs nowadays are so specialized, they can't think outside their box.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems like I opened up a "can of worms," but the Red Eyes did not start until I switched to the Auto A-flex and the RP Zest mask. Also, the new Auto machine was set to 11-16, and is running at about 12-13 pressure; my old Plus LX was set to 8. I have tried the old soft gel mask with the new machine, but does not work (won't tolerate the pressure). The Zest nasal mask seals very well, which is indicated by the nightly data. I am about to be a part of a new mask trial, so maybe I will learn something from the process. The allergy idea is a good one, which is the scenario preferred by my wife (retired Dermatology nurse). I will take earlier advise and make an Ophthalmology appointment to be on safer ground. Thanks to all for the dialog.
Willis
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eyes Duncansleeps 17 2,179 04-15-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Dreamstation 2 vs. Aircurve 10 (Dry, Puffy Eyes) MrIvanDrago 15 1,123 11-09-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Nose mask vs nasal cushions and leak dry eyes silverdr 6 963 09-22-2023, 06:51 PM
Last Post: KeepingItSimple
Question Pressure on eyes, what could be the reason? newbieusa 4 542 09-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  “Tired eyes” & your experiences spetzal 1 816 12-24-2022, 01:36 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Puffy dry eyes thepiecesfit 7 1,514 09-26-2022, 07:02 AM
Last Post: walt48
  Mask venting air flow over eyes all night long dawoodsman 11 8,050 01-05-2022, 12:20 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.