Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Red nose marks on bridge of Nose
Red nose marks on bridge of Nose
I am needing assistance with my mask ! I have a Fusion Respronics Face mask it is not a full mask it just covers my nose and mouth ! my problem is that I keep getting red marks on the top of the bridge of my nose, it has adjustments but when I make the adjustments to loosen the pressure off my nose I loose the seal do you have any sugguestions or advice for this problem thanks !
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Red nose marks on bridge of Nose
If you think the mask is overall a good fit for you other than this issue, make sure that you balance any adjustment at the top of the mask with one on the bottom to "balance" out the forces holding the mask in place. You don't want the bottom so tight it hinges the top out slightly.

As will all mask issues, as loose at you can go without leak issues (much easier said than done). Also, check out the forum wiki for "How to Fit a Mask" instructions.

There are also some pad type silicon strips that some people have had success with that fit on the nose bridge and still allow the mask to seal without skin irritation.

If none of this works, you may need to seek an alternate mask. I think everyone will basically agree that a good mask that fits and is comfortable for you is one of the challenges of xPAP therapy.

Best of luck, keep us up to date, and I'm sure you're going to get some really good advise from others.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that when I first started therapy and for a few nights after starting to use a new mask I always seem to have a red and sore nose bridge. I find this will go away once my face gets use to it. In the meantime I apply a cream during the day that seems to help.
It will get better!
Post Reply Post Reply
There's some liners and such that folks have used. Gecko is one brand name.

And full face masks are any mask that covers the nose and mouth. There are some that cover the entire face, including eyes.
A hybrid mask is one that covers the mouth but uses nasal pillows.
A nasal mask covers just the nose.
A nasal pillow mask goes into the nose.
And then there is the mouth only mask called the Oracle.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with that too, I used some small square bandaids to act as a chafe pad. That helps too.

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2013, 03:39 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There's some liners and such that folks have used. Gecko is one brand name.
Gecko nose pads work well to do away with the red marks.

Post Reply Post Reply
My husband uses the REMzzz liners and his nose is no longer red. He also has Quietus liners which work but he seems to prefer the REMzzz, which were the first ones he used. They are like little pieces of a t-shirt with a hole for your nose.

(02-25-2013, 02:15 PM)Sleepy Time Wrote: I am needing assistance with my mask ! I have a Fusion Respronics Face mask it is not a full mask it just covers my nose and mouth ! my problem is that I keep getting red marks on the top of the bridge of my nose, it has adjustments but when I make the adjustments to loosen the pressure off my nose I loose the seal do you have any sugguestions or advice for this problem thanks !

Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyTime, you've gotten some good suggestions and any of them should work. Many people make their own liners out of the soft material of a worn t-shirt.
I also had that problem and you are wise to get right on and search for a solution. My nose broke down so badly I had to take 21 days off for it to heal. It began to break down again as soon as I put my mask back on. I needed to find another style of mask. Reviewing the directions for mask fitting, YouTube also has some examples, is wise even for those of us who think we could write the instructions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your help ! I think I am going to try something called padaCheek Saw it on internet site yesterday !

(02-26-2013, 08:49 AM)zimlich Wrote: SleepyTime, you've gotten some good suggestions and any of them should work. Many people make their own liners out of the soft material of a worn t-shirt.
I also had that problem and you are wise to get right on and search for a solution. My nose broke down so badly I had to take 21 days off for it to heal. It began to break down again as soon as I put my mask back on. I needed to find another style of mask. Reviewing the directions for mask fitting, YouTube also has some examples, is wise even for those of us who think we could write the instructions.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2013, 08:07 AM)SPOUSE Wrote: My husband uses the REMzzz liners and his nose is no longer red. He also has Quietus liners which work but he seems to prefer the REMzzz, which were the first ones he used. They are like little pieces of a t-shirt with a hole for your nose.

Don't tell the good folks at REMzzz, but almost a buck each was too much for me (I'm a little bit cheap - I call it "frugal", but my daughter calls it "cheap"). You can trace a liner on cardboard and cut it out to use for a pattern then go pick up a square yard of 100% Cotton Knit white Jersey cloth at a fabric store or order it off of Amazon like I did for about $16 after shipping (the fabric stores I went to didn't have 100% cotton knit, just cotton/polyester blends, what's that all about?). I'm not sure how many I'll be able to get out of it because I just trace and cut a couple of week's worth of them at a time, but I'm sure it cuts the cost down to just a few cents each instead of almost a dollar each.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 200 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,981 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 649 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 464 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.