Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RedMed S9 - newbie questions
RedMed S9 - newbie questions
Hi Everyone.

I have had my cpap machine for about 2 years now and I am just starting to use it now. I tried when I first got it, but couldn't keep it on for more than 15 minutes. It's been about 2 weeks and I seem to be adjusting better-- although a couple of times the alarm goes off in the morning and the mask is off and laying beside me-- oops.Anyway- last night, there was apparently a problem with the humidifier and the machine wouldn't turn on. This morning I unplugged the machine so I would have the model and serial number to see if I could figure out what happened and when I plugged it back in, it was fine. So- who knows what happened. So-- a couple of questions for you experts..
1. I would love to see how well I did the next morning and track my results. I know there is a computer thingy (like one that is in a camera) and I thought I could download some software and it would show me, but I tried downloading the software and it didn't work. All I got was some zip drive without the program. Anyway-- how can I see each morning what pressure I was using, if the mask was on securely and how long I wore the mask?
2. I have since changed insurance plans since I got the machine and I don't have really great insurance anymore, so I don't want to call the at home people who delivered my machine for a follow up because I don't think its covered anymore and, just in case, I don'[t want to alert them that my insurance coverage has changed- but I think the thing that holds the filter is gone-- and of course the filter is gone as well-- is that a huge problem?
3. I have turned the humidifier up to 6 but I still wake up every morning congested and have to blow my nose for about 15 minutes. Not a big deal- but annoying. Slight headache sometimes.
4. What's the best way to wash the mask- I have the quattro fx- full mouth and nose?

I haven't really noticed any major changes yet- I do remember that at my sleep study, my sleep and breathing was so bad, that they put the mask on me just after an hour and when I left that morning, I felt so awake and great the whole day- and I am waiting for that to happen now.

Thanks for any help, comments, suggestions etc.. looking forward to feeling great.

Karen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RedMed S9 - newbie questions
Hi Sungyrll,
Welcome

(07-07-2013, 08:39 AM)Sungyrll Wrote: last night, there was apparently a problem with the humidifier and the machine wouldn't turn on. This morning I unplugged the machine so I would have the model and serial number to see if I could figure out what happened and when I plugged it back in, it was fine. So- who knows what happened.

That happens sometimes - a hard reset fixes a lot of problems.

Sungyrll Wrote:1. I would love to see how well I did the next morning and track my results. I know there is a computer thingy (like one that is in a camera) and I thought I could download some software and it would show me, but I tried downloading the software and it didn't work. All I got was some zip drive without the program. Anyway-- how can I see each morning what pressure I was using, if the mask was on securely and how long I wore the mask?

Which software were you trying to download? Which S9 do you have? It should say something by the power button. Does it say "AutoSet", "Elite", "Escape" or "Escape Auto"?

Until you get the software figured out you can hold both of the silver buttons next to the screen down simultaneously for a few seconds and that will take you to a menu where you can check out the data your machine collects. There won't be much there if you have an Escape or Escape Auto because they only collect compliance data.

Sungyrll Wrote:2. I have since changed insurance plans since I got the machine and I don't have really great insurance anymore, so I don't want to call the at home people who delivered my machine for a follow up because I don't think its covered anymore and, just in case, I don'[t want to alert them that my insurance coverage has changed- but I think the thing that holds the filter is gone-- and of course the filter is gone as well-- is that a huge problem?

It's definitely something to be concerned about. Without the filter and cover the machine will get all gunked up inside after a while. You can buy them on-line from one of the suppliers in the supplier list on this forum or just google "ResMed S9 filter cover" to get some options. I've seen them on amazon as well. All S9s use the same filter cover/filters.

Sungyrll Wrote:3. I have turned the humidifier up to 6 but I still wake up every morning congested and have to blow my nose for about 15 minutes. Not a big deal- but annoying. Slight headache sometimes.

Is the water or most of the water gone from the tank in the morning?

Sungyrll Wrote:4. What's the best way to wash the mask- I have the quattro fx- full mouth and nose?

I remove the silicone cushion from the mask and wash it with liquid dish detergent then rinse well and shake dry. I only wash the rest of the mask a couple of times a week and I do that with the same dish soap.

Sungyrll Wrote:I haven't really noticed any major changes yet- I do remember that at my sleep study, my sleep and breathing was so bad, that they put the mask on me just after an hour and when I left that morning, I felt so awake and great the whole day- and I am waiting for that to happen now.

You'll find lots of help on this forum. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll be able to get things straightened out so you can get successful therapy again.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks JG- the button by my power button says auto set- so if that helps with the model. I found the usage button-- but is there a way to see what pressure I am currently at or what pressure I was using the most? I am curious.

Thanks again for all your help... for the filters-- do they have the thing that holds the filter in place-- I think its a snap plastic piece.

Karen
Post Reply Post Reply
Karen: The standard procedure if you have a problem with the ResMed is to unplugged it and then plug it back in. So it doesn't sound like there is any real problem with the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sungyrll,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You should be able to find that filter cover from the suppliers on the supplier list here on the board. You will need that to hold the filter in place.
I encourage you to stick with CPAP therapy, it can take lots of PATIENCE.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Trish-- I have 4 boxes that the at home medical supply company sent to me-- each has a new mask, tubing and some of the filters-- but nothing that holds the filter- so will look at the supply list now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2013, 10:02 AM)Sungyrll Wrote: Thanks JG- the button by my power button says auto set- so if that helps with the model. I found the usage button-- but is there a way to see what pressure I am currently at or what pressure I was using the most? I am curious.

Yes, the AutoSet is a really good model, fully data capable. If you press the little silver button alone you will only see usage and not be able to see much else. To see other info you have to enter the clinical info menu. To do that you need to hold down both silver buttons (the "I" button and the button with two check marks) for about three seconds. The screen will flash and it will look about the same, but from here you can turn the knob to see different info menus. Click the knob to enter a menu. In any menu you can turn the knob to scroll through that menu (necessary when the menu is too long to fit on the screen). You can see info here and see the settings, but can't change them (for that you have to enter "Clinical Settings" by holding down the knob button and double checkmark button simultaneously for 3 seconds). Clinical info on the machine will not give you all the info you can get from ResScan or Sleepy Head (when "Sleep Quality" is turned on in clinical settings - it is a good idea to check to make sure that is turned on now), but will show you your settings, some pressure stats, leak stats and AHI break down for whatever time frame you select. Click the knob on the time frame and turn knob to change time frame.

Sungyrll Wrote:for the filters-- do they have the thing that holds the filter in place-- I think its a snap plastic piece.

Yes, just search or look for "ResMed S9 filter cover" They are widely available - it isn't uncommon for them to get lost, break or wear down so they don't stay on very well. They cost about $7 or $8 depending on were you get them.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
S9 setup pictures/video http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

How to ask for the S9 clinical manual by email http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

ResScan and SleepyHead software http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 148 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 377 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 129 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.