Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reduce minimum pressure?
Reduce minimum pressure?
I've been using a pressure range of 9.4 - 15 with EPR 3 for two months now.  Until two weeks ago, I had Response set to "standard."  Pressure curve typically peaked between 12.5 and 14.5.  Two weeks ago, I changed the response setting to "soft."  Pressure usually peaks between 11 and 12; AHI of 1.2 is about average.  I do have some intermittent problems with aerophagia and mouth leaks.  For the mouth leaks, I am trying to train myself to keep my tongue on the roof of the mouth, so that's not an urgent issue.  Most of my AHI is usually made up of  CAs.

With a minimum pressure of 9.4 and a typical peak of 11.5 to 12, the peak pressure is only about 2.5 cm more than the minimum pressure.

Might reducing minimum pressure be a good idea?  What might be a reasonable target, and what effects should I watch for?

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reduce minimum pressure?
My minimum is 8.6... I'm not comfortable below 8.
Go ahead and drop it by .5 and monitor your flow limit graph and see how well it does. Resmed tends to respond more quickly than Respironics, so you'll probably be OK if you are comfortable at the lower pressures.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't drop the the minimum pressure any further. Your chart is showing some flow limitations at times and I think if you drop the pressure any lower and that might turn into obstructive events. If you want to try and get rid of CA events try reducing the EPR to 2cm.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see any harm in reducing pressure. If this is typical, you have no OA at these pressures. The flow limits that Walla is seeing are minimal, and the auto CPAP is increasing pressure where these occur. I think you can easily tolerate a minimum pressure of 9.0, and possibly lower, however it is your maximum pressure that will limit the pressures you encounter, and you don't need 15 cm. Based on this graph, your 95% pressure is 10.8 cm and that could be used as a maximum limit, and possibly a low as 10.4.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2018, 08:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I don't see any harm in reducing pressure. If this is typical, you have no OA at these pressures.  The flow limits that Walla is seeing are minimal, and the auto CPAP is increasing pressure where these occur. I think you can easily tolerate a minimum pressure of 9.0, and possibly lower, however it is your maximum pressure that will limit the pressures you encounter, and you don't need 15 cm.  Based on this graph, your 95% pressure is 10.8 cm and that could be used as a maximum limit, and possibly a low as 10.4.

Thaniks.  I have some questions about maximum pressure setting.  What difference does the maximum pressure setting make if the machine isn't going there anyway?  In my case, doesn't a max of 15 have exactly the same results as a max of 20?  Is there some advantage to setting the maximum lower than the machine wants to go to?

I'm trying a range of 9-15 now to see if there are any changes.  AHI last night was 0.49, split evenly between OA and H.

Perhaps coincidentally, this is only the second night I have had without CAs.  (The other was on a one-day test of the Autoset for Her mode.)
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are trying to limit how high the machine pressure will go, the maximum pressure is what needs to be reduced. The pressure will only go as high as you need, and that is clearly less than 15 cm; however that setting is not helping with your aerophagia or leaks at this point. For therapy, it's best to have your pressure higher than your needs, but there are many reasons we limit maximum pressure, and aerophagia is one of them. It may result in a compromise between events and comfort, but that's the game.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2018, 08:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I don't see any harm in reducing pressure. If this is typical, you have no OA at these pressures.  The flow limits that Walla is seeing are minimal, and the auto CPAP is increasing pressure where these occur. I think you can easily tolerate a minimum pressure of 9.0, and possibly lower, however it is your maximum pressure that will limit the pressures you encounter, and you don't need 15 cm.  Based on this graph, your 95% pressure is 10.8 cm and that could be used as a maximum limit, and possibly a low as 10.4.
I tried reducing my max to a couple of cm above my 95%, and it did result in an increase in events.
Whether positional, stress, or simply how tired I am, my AHI will vary from 0.0 to 2.0.  There are mostly "good" nights (0.0 to 0.4), with an occasional "bad" night.  When I cut my max, I found that I was getting more "bad" nights, so I put my max back up to 18 and have left it there.  If it's not needed, the machine won't go there.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
BD75, the chart you posted shows your pressure mostly between about 9.5 & 10.5. your leaks occurred at pressure above 10.5. IDK if leaks led to higher pressure or higher pressure led to leaks. either way, one way to help manage your leaks is to reduce max pressure. you can always push it up again if you get more oa. trial and error.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've now been using pressures of 9.0 - 15 for several days.  CAs have virtually disappeared and AHI has been less than 0.5 on each day -- both an improvement over when I was using 9.4 - 15.  Mouth leaks continue to be an intermittent problem, no less or no worse than before.

However, I have not felt as rested in the morning, even with the same number of hours of sleep as I usually get.  Does it make sense that I might feel more rested at a higher pressure, even if that also results in a higher AHI?  Maybe I am just going through another adjustment period?  I'm confused! Huhsign

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
you can't do a whole heck of lot better than what's indicated in that chart. 1 hypopnea and some flow limitations. even your leaks were below the red line. I'm envious. give it some time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 343 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  How to reduce flow limitations yankees123 5 336 02-27-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 901 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to reduce drooling? ATeam91 6 470 01-24-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  Tubing Mod to Reduce Resmed Airmini + Zephair adapter Inhalation Noise dil950 1 623 12-21-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: RSki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.