Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Regarding settings on a replacement bipap??
RE: Regarding settings on a replacement bipap??
(08-03-2019, 12:35 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 12:26 PM)RosieB08 Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 12:20 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I’m glad you found a computer to use. Yes, the sessions are between the times the machine if off, and you’re right to turn them all on. Could you check whether you have CAs turned on in the lower left?  And could you put the flow limitation chart in place of the mask pressure chart?

Oh boy! Lol can you tell me how to do that or give me a link as to how I can do these things? Thanks!

Edit:
I see how to drag and drop the flow limitation chart but do not see the CA's in lower left.

Look at bonjours post above. At the bottom is a blue link to Organize Charts. That's a good place to start. Mine has a similar one but (at the time of this post) points to sleepyhead the last generation report tool. I'll update mine to point to OSCAR.

Yes, that link from Bonjour is what I used to organize the chart prior to uploading the image, but do not see anything about "CA's" I must me missing it somewhere? I'm sorry, I just downloaded OSCAR moments prior to uploading the file on here, so I have not taken an in-depth look at the program. I do want to thank everyone for their help though, I just want to make sure I am getting the correct treatment needed from my machine.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I can tell a lot from what you posted, thanks, more in a bit.
On the charts, (dailies) on the bottom are 2 dropdowns, open them and make sure everything is green, I believe they are already.
Pressures increase from obstructive events, apnea, hypopnea, flow limitations, and snores..

"Grab" the Mask pressure chart and drag it down.
Grab the Flow Limit chart and drag it up.
Grab the Snore chart and drag it up.
Grab the bottom edge of both the Flow Limit and snore chart and drag them to shrink those charts on the page, one at a time.

You are in VAuto mode and it is working extremely well.  There is no NEED to change anything.

Based on this chart in manual mode I would try EPAP = 9, IPAP = 13, very close to the 8/12 on your old machine.  

The question I have for you is how do you feel?  Is the therapy working for you, Why or Why Not?  Any symptoms or issues?
ANY changes in settings should be based on the answers to these questions, not your current numbers.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2019, 12:41 PM)bonjour Wrote: I can tell a lot from what you posted, thanks, more in a bit.
On the charts, (dailies) on the bottom are 2 dropdowns, open them and make sure everything is green, I believe they are already.
Pressures increase from obstructive events, apnea, hypopnea, flow limitations, and snores..

"Grab" the Mask pressure chart and drag it down.
Grab the Flow Limit chart and drag it up.
Grab the Snore chart and drag it up.
Grab the bottom edge of both the Flow Limit and snore chart and drag them to shrink those charts on the page, one at a time.

You are in VAuto mode and it is working extremely well.  There is no NEED to change anything.

Based on this chart in manual mode I would try EPAP = 9, IPAP = 13, very close to the 8/12 on your old machine.  

The question I have for you is how do you feel?  Is the therapy working for you, Why or Why Not?  Any symptoms or issues?
ANY changes in settings should be based on the answers to these questions, not your current numbers.

Fred

Thanks Fred! Yes everything is green on both dropdowns. 
As for symptoms or issues:
I did find that it seemed as if the pressure when inhaling didn't seem to last long enough. Even after coming to a relaxed state (ie: finished moving, adjusting pillow, final position) it still felt like the pressure turned off before I finished inhaling. I guess I inhale longer than some. 

Also, each time I would get up to use the bathroom I would have to remove the mask and wipe off what seemed like sweat/moisture. I've always had my humidifier set to 4 in the past to prevent from being dried out so much, but this is something new and annoying. 

One more thing that is different and uncomfortable: When first laying down, placing mask on, and starting treatment it seemed as if I wasn't getting enough air and I would have to remove mask quickly and breath regular air deeply a couple times before placing it back on my face. 

Any suggestions for these issues would be great, and thanks again!

Rosie

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2019, 01:05 PM)RosieB08 Wrote: As for symptoms or issues:
I did find that it seemed as if the pressure when inhaling didn't seem to last long enough. Even after coming to a relaxed state (ie: finished moving, adjusting pillow, final position) it still felt like the pressure turned off before I finished inhaling. I guess I inhale longer than some. We should be able to adjust this, I'll check in settings for how.
Also, each time I would get up to use the bathroom I would have to remove the mask and wipe off what seemed like sweat/moisture. I've always had my humidifier set to 4 in the past to prevent from being dried out so much, but this is something new and annoying.  Condensation? specifically what mask are you using?  with some masks this can interfere with the expulsion of CO2 from the system.

One more thing that is different and uncomfortable: When first laying down, placing mask on, and starting treatment it seemed as if I wasn't getting enough air and I would have to remove mask quickly and breath regular air deeply a couple times before placing it back on my face. This is the easiest, turn your ramp off. with ramp on your EPAP is 4, with it off it will be 5 (min EPAP in settings).  if this doesn't do it bump it to 6, then to 7 if needed.

Rosie
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2019, 01:38 PM)bonjour Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 01:05 PM)RosieB08 Wrote: As for symptoms or issues:
I did find that it seemed as if the pressure when inhaling didn't seem to last long enough. Even after coming to a relaxed state (ie: finished moving, adjusting pillow, final position) it still felt like the pressure turned off before I finished inhaling. I guess I inhale longer than some. We should be able to adjust this, I'll check in settings for how.
Also, each time I would get up to use the bathroom I would have to remove the mask and wipe off what seemed like sweat/moisture. I've always had my humidifier set to 4 in the past to prevent from being dried out so much, but this is something new and annoying.  Condensation? specifically what mask are you using?  with some masks this can interfere with the expulsion of CO2 from the system.

One more thing that is different and uncomfortable: When first laying down, placing mask on, and starting treatment it seemed as if I wasn't getting enough air and I would have to remove mask quickly and breath regular air deeply a couple times before placing it back on my face. This is the easiest, turn your ramp off. with ramp on your EPAP is 4, with it off it will be 5 (min EPAP in settings).  if this doesn't do it bump it to 6, then to 7 if needed.

Rosie

Fred did you respond above? All I see are the links, just checking.
Post Reply Post Reply
see the bolded text, my responses
Post Reply Post Reply
and your TI min is set to 0.3    per the clinician manual the  TI min should be set to 1.0 for someone breathing 25 bpm.  
1. set your Ti Min = 1.0

This should extend your inhale time.

sorry I missed that, it is a setting that we normally leave alone, except when someone indicates a problem like you did.
FYI if you were breathing at 35 to 40 BPM it should be set to 0.5 (yours is set below that!!!)

2. Also turn off the ramp,  with ramp on your EPAP is 4, with it off it will be 5 (min EPAP in settings).  if this doesn't do it bump it to 6, then to 7 if needed.

3. Mask condensation? or hose condensation. In the P10 mask if liquid, condensation, gets on the vent mesh it will clog the vent causing the re-breathing of expelled CO2 which can cause some breathing issues. Note that the P10 mesh is very fine, I'm not familiar with the F30.
If it is condensation a hose coxie or a heated hose will handle the situation. Make sure you are not overfilling the reservoir, underfill it and see if that fixes it (make sure you are not entraining water from the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2019, 02:27 PM)bonjour Wrote: and your TI min is set to 0.3    per the clinician manual the  TI min should be set to 1.0 for someone breathing 25 bpm.  
set your Ti Min = 1.0

fyi if you were breathing at 35 to 40 BPM it should be set to 0.5 (yours is set below that!!!)

Duh! I totally didn't pay attention to the bold text, so sorry and thank you for pointing that out.

I'm using the AirFit F30 Full Face Mask, which is the one I've been using since February of this year. The one I'm using now is the same but new when I got machine this week. Is there anything I can do without changing mask? It took a long time to find one that I can handle using.

So based on your responses, I will be changing and giving these settings a try:

1. "I would try EPAP = 9, IPAP = 13, very close to the 8/12 on your old machine" Do I leave it in VAUTO mode?

2. "This is the easiest, turn your ramp off. with ramp on your EPAP is 4, with it off it will be 5 (min EPAP in settings). [b]if this doesn't do it bump it to 6, then to 7 if needed." [/b]does that change with the min EPAP change from above?

3. "TI min should be set to 1.0 for someone breathing 25 bpm. set your Ti Min = 1.0"

Is there anything else I'm missing? And I just can't say this enough, thank you so much for your help! Also should I keep using OSCAR for a few days to see how it's doing?
Post Reply Post Reply
Continue for a few days with OSCAR posting here to double check what is happening, then come back every month or so for a "sanity check" or if you are sensing something doesn't seem right.

I do want to hear how the change in timing feels. There are other settings we can try if Ti Min doesn't work. You may need a few night at that setting for things to settle out.

Keep in Vauto mode
#2. just turn the ramp off. At your settings you don't need it anyway. That will make your initial EPAP = 5 which is your Rx.

#3 oops a typo, should read 15 bpm which is your breathing rate, Set Ti Min = 1.0
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2019, 03:04 PM)bonjour Wrote: Continue for a few days with OSCAR posting here to double check what is happening, then come back every month or so for a "sanity check" or if you are sensing something doesn't seem right.

I do want to hear how the change in timing feels.  There are other settings we can try if Ti Min doesn't work.  You may need a few night at that setting for things to settle out.

Keep in Vauto mode
#2. just turn the ramp off.  At your settings you don't need it anyway.  That will make your initial EPAP = 5 which is your Rx.  

#3 oops a typo,  should read 15 bpm which is your breathing rate,  Set Ti Min = 1.0
Ok sure! I will be posting the next few days to see how it goes. 

Ok so I'm not changing EPAP = 9, IPAP = 13? I'm leaving it at the 5 and 20? 

My original Rx was 8/12 but I think this new doctor that took over for my Family doctor who retired just wrote a generic prescription. My last sleep study done (when with my old family doctor) stated "Recommendations the report has "BIFLEX (level III) at a pressure setting of 12/8." That was the setting on my old bipap that just broke down on me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to BiPAP Therapy: Seeking Guidance on Settings Kevinbipap 3 65 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 134 20,402 8 hours ago
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 11 165 11 hours ago
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 96 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
  Bipap VAuto Settings Help Please jonoc99 5 190 04-12-2024, 04:16 PM
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 258 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,974 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.