Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Regarding settings on a replacement bipap??
Regarding settings on a replacement bipap??
Hello everyone,
I've been treated for moderate obstructive sleep apnea since January, 2010 and have been using a bipap since the beginning. I started using the AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir Heated Humidifier back in July of 2015. This past weekend my machine died on me and after jumping through hoops all week, taking machine in to be looked at, contacting insurance (100 times), trying to sleep without a machine for 6 days, and finally paying full purchase price, (because insurance only replaces machine every 5 years), I got a new machine...exactly the same as I had. 

I purchased the machine online from a site that I have purchased supplies from before and they had my prescription on file. They stated when I ordered the machine that my settings would be put in prior to shipment. The only thing is that the settings are not the same as in my old machine that was set by my local provider. I received the clinical manual by email, but I'm not sure what settings should be changed. The recommendation from my last sleep study states "Recent testing in this facility demonstrated moderate obstructive sleep apnea with significant desaturations." and under "Recommendations the report has "BIFLEX (level III) at a pressure setting of 12/8." The prescription that my Family Physician gave the online provider states "BIPAP - PRESSURE 5/20."

How do I check to make sure I am using the correct settings? What's the difference between the 5/20 my family doctor has on prescription and the 12/8 from the sleep study doctor?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. My last study puts me at overall hyponea index of 28.4 per hour and I want to make sure I am getting the right treatment for this.

I've attached pics of the settings that are on the new machine.

[url=//imgur.com/a/rOMgy1h][/url]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Regarding settings on a replacement bipap??
Hi RosieB08,

Welcome to the Apnea Board.

The 5/20 is nearly full open for your machine. Some doctors do that to get you to self titrate by way of viewing your results upon use then adjusting more specific settings later. The sleep study data is probably closer to what you need but I cannot be certain as I didn’t see your original settings.

Let some more knowledgeable members chime in on a starting point. We’ll be able to help better assist after you get Oscar report tool and post results.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2019, 07:19 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Hi RosieB08,

The 5/20 is nearly full open for your machine. Some doctors do that to get you to self titrate by way of viewing your results upon use then adjusting more specific settings later. The sleep study data is probably closer to what you need but I cannot be certain as I didn’t see your original settings.

Let some more knowledgeable members chime in on a starting point. We’ll be able to help better assist after you get Oscar report tool and post results.

Thanks for the reply, Dave. My family doctor will not be viewing my results, this doctor took over for my regular family physician when he retired so he didn't even see me for this condition. I just called the office and asked for a prescription and was assuming he would read the sleep study and/or go by the setting that my original doctor gave. The settings on this new machine are nothing like the old one and I feel this is going to be a problem for me.

(08-02-2019, 07:19 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Hi RosieB08,

Thanks for the reply, Dave. My family doctor will not be viewing my results, this doctor took over for my regular family physician when he retired so he didn't even see me for this condition. I just called the office and asked for a prescription and was assuming he would read the sleep study and/or go by the setting that my original doctor gave. The settings on this new machine are nothing like the old one and I feel this is going to be a problem for me. 

Also I will not be installing Oscar as this is also my business computer as I work from home and the company I work for does not allow any software installed that is not approved by them first. The only thing I can use is MyAir on my iPhone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you ask a friend if you could temporarily put the software on their machine and use it to upload charts to the forum? I suspect it’ll be hard for the experts to advise you without a chart or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK got it on the doc situation. Gurus on settings can help here. Post data when you're able.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One minor change, set essentials to plus, the difference is more info.

Please try to find a computer that you can use for OSCAR. It is important to see data to provide you with good info.

As a minimum, we would need to know what the breakdown of your AHI is, OA, CA, H, FL, and RERAs

5/20 is intended to be an initial VAUTO mode setting with the default PS of 4, the 12/8 are intended to be in Mode S (manual) 8 EPAP and 12 IPAP which is PS 4.

I suspect that neither is optimized for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2019, 10:46 PM)bonjour Wrote: One minor change, set essentials to plus, the difference is more info.

Please try to find a computer that you can use for OSCAR.  It is important to see data to provide you with good info.

As a minimum, we would need to know what the breakdown of your AHI is, OA, CA, H, FL, and RERAs

5/20 is intended to be an initial VAUTO mode setting with the default PS of 4,  the 12/8 are intended to be in Mode S (manual) 8 EPAP and 12 IPAP which is PS 4.

I suspect that neither is optimized for you.

Thanks! So I used OSCAR but I'm not sure what data to put on the forums, I have 3 different session information, one for 2h 16m, one for 1h 45m, and one for 2h 27m. I'm assuming that is the times I slept between getting up and going to the bathroom, (can't be helped due to medical). I have clicked all three sessions for last night and attached a screenshot. Thanks for your help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I’m glad you found a computer to use. Yes, the sessions are between the times the machine if off, and you’re right to turn them all on. Could you check whether you have CAs turned on in the lower left? And could you put the flow limitation chart in place of the mask pressure chart?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2019, 12:20 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I’m glad you found a computer to use. Yes, the sessions are between the times the machine if off, and you’re right to turn them all on. Could you check whether you have CAs turned on in the lower left?  And could you put the flow limitation chart in place of the mask pressure chart?

Oh boy! Lol can you tell me how to do that or give me a link as to how I can do these things? Thanks!

Edit:
I see how to drag and drop the flow limitation chart but do not see the CA's in lower left.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2019, 12:26 PM)RosieB08 Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 12:20 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I’m glad you found a computer to use. Yes, the sessions are between the times the machine if off, and you’re right to turn them all on. Could you check whether you have CAs turned on in the lower left?  And could you put the flow limitation chart in place of the mask pressure chart?

Oh boy! Lol can you tell me how to do that or give me a link as to how I can do these things? Thanks!

Edit:
I see how to drag and drop the flow limitation chart but do not see the CA's in lower left.

Look at bonjours post above. At the bottom is a blue link to Organize Charts. That's a good place to start. Mine has a similar one but (at the time of this post) points to sleepyhead the last generation report tool. I'll update mine to point to OSCAR.

Edit: my OSCAR link is there now
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,258 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 203 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,829 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help with settings after BiPAP Titration jd1291 5 171 03-11-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 515 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 206 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.