Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Sex: Female

RE: Reggie
We lost our last lab in the summer. With our daughter 90% out of the nest and soon to be 100%, my husband retired and I planning it in another year so we can travel and be away winters, we won't be getting anymore. Have had dogs my whole life and miss that unconditional lovin and the wag tail greetings that nearly knock me down. I was going through our utility drawer yesterday and found a dog license I had sent away for because he had lost it off his collar. Ended up finding it in our lawn and never used the one I sent away for. I got a hitch in my heart when I found it. I placed it in the urn with his ashes. None of us have been able to part with them. We planted trees in their memory and will sprinkle them one of these days around their trees.

My Goodness! I am starting to wonder if there is some correlation between heartbreak, difficult illnesses and Sleep Apnea! So sorry to hear of your losses Peter_C and me50
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 03:56 PM by ImaSurvivor.)
12-15-2013 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

(12-15-2013 11:43 AM)me50 Wrote:  
(12-15-2013 11:29 AM)trish6hundred Wrote:  Hi me50,
Is this a story about apnea? I clicked on the link you have posted and tried to find the story amongst tuns of links, but I was unable to find the story, just links and an encouragement to join "Pentrist.".

It isn't about apnea so I posted it in off topic section. When you click on the link above it takes you to the story. I just clicked on it and I didn't see links and the encouragement to join Pentrist. So, I don't know what to say. It is a story about a dog.
Hi me50,
No big deal, it's probably just a screen reader issue, Because I use text-to-speech software, (AKA a screen reader,) things don't show up the way they are supposed to show up. In other words, the screen reader doesn't "SEE," things the way it's supposed to so no big deal, thanks for telling me what the story is about, I get it now.
I'm so sorry to hear about your many losses.

trish6hundred
12-15-2013 04:03 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Sex: Male

Many of us go through 'bad times'. This (for me) is just a very long cycle of a 'bad time'. For me the dogs are our kids, some can get that, and some don't - but it is what it is. Since 2009, besides the in-laws and the 4 dogs, I've had two knee scope-surgeries, one total knee replacement, one total hip replacement, one shoulder rebuilt, had my kidneys almost fatally fail (creatinine(sp) of 9.5 - norm is 1.0-1.2), and had "multiple PEs" (blood clots in the lungs, can be fatal if not caught in time) two different times, leading to blood thinners for life. Lost my career, and am now disabled - still need second knee and hip replaced and my hands, well, not much can be done with them. As you can see, OSA isn't my only issue currently Wink

me50 - I haven't been through what you have, am sorry for your troubles - sometimes it seems all we can do is keep our heads down and keep plodding along.

ImaSurvivor - life without dogs isn't a life in my book. Yes, I do understand the 'why' of it, but am not sure I could do it regardless. I believe in 'quality of life', and to me, dogs being part of my daily life is a big part of the quality.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 04:19 PM by Peter_C.)
12-15-2013 04:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto

I completely understand Peter_C. If we were in a different situation where I felt we could be fair to the dog with our upcoming plans, I would still consider it. The family has to be "all in" on it too and that isn't the case here because of pending plans. Our daughter on the other hand wants to get a dog when she relocates. So we can enjoy the granddog.
12-15-2013 04:36 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

I tried to copy and paste it but I was not able to do that. Sorry you couldn't see the story. It is a good one, albeit a little sad
12-15-2013 04:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

Peter, you may not have been through what we have specifically, but, you have been through it and back again. AND, I hope that you don't have to go through the things we have (murder is difficult, especially when nobody has been caught; losing a child b/c the hospital killed them is tough (would be tough either way but especially since there was no reason for our child to die). Anyway, I am glad that you are alive and have your babies to help you along. I know that our dogs are family and I can guarantee they sleep on our bed and usually get first pick of the bed as they seem to hit it before we do lol
12-15-2013 04:50 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(12-15-2013 03:41 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote:  My Goodness! I am starting to wonder if there is some correlation between heartbreak, difficult illnesses and Sleep Apnea! So sorry to hear of your losses Peter_C and me50

makes ya wonder doesn't it? Sorry for the loss of your fur children. It hurts as they are family.
12-15-2013 06:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

I hear you on the race, both my lovely wife and I try hard not to be the last one in bed, as the kids get there first all the time, and the last one doesn't seem to get much covers. (even with a king size blanket on a queen sized bed)

And I do get it - boarding a puppy really sucks, and even an older dog it can be bad, and traveling with dogs can get both tough and spendy. Everyone is different, and with different priorities as well, besides, you get to spoil the grand-dog without having to deal with the problems Smile

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
12-15-2013 07:39 PM
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto

We had to have both of our labs put down. Both old age ... very hard on my husband to take them on their last trip to the vets. He insisted it was his job. He said he can't do it with anymore and I respect that.

When we go away for winters it will be cross country and hard on an animal to uproot and travel so far from it's comfort zone. We live in a home now with lots of space for them to run around and play and get lots of exercise. It would not be the case in our winter location.

We were blessed that my parents could dogsit our first dog. He was their granddog and they spoiled him. He got way more special treatment than any dog I had growing up. And they only laughed when he chewed a hole in my Dad's garden hose, tore down a trellis, destroyed a pair of boots, and ripped a few shingles off their house. Big Grin My Dad built a fancy and extensive run line for him in their lawn. He always escaped by breaking the line and made it to the door before my Dad could get inside. We had horses and my Dad went and got rope that would hold a horse and he managed to escape that as well. To this day my Dad talks about that and never figured out how he escaped and so quick each time. Our dog was my Dad's shadow when at their house.

Our second dog my parents loved as much but he was much larger and stronger and they were older and unable to handle him on a leash and his enegy was over the top sometimes. By then we had a friend in the dog boarding business and he went there as a young pup for his whole life. He was treated like a king at the puppy hotel. They loved him and said he was the best behaved dog. He was always given the biggest kennel.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 09:26 PM by ImaSurvivor.)
12-15-2013 09:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Yup, I took 3 of the 4 for their last ride, and cried like a baby each time. The last one, we both took him and I honestly don't know if it was better or worse. It is the ONE part of owning a dog that I *HATE*, and I wish I'd never ever need to do that even one more time. But time always changes that feeling in me, the house becomes too quiet, the bed (even with my lovely wife) too empty, and then my health turns worse. We add a new pup, and suddenly my focus changes and instead of dreading the bed, I look forward to the play, the hugs and kisses as we all snuggle down together for a sleep. If I need to get up for a while and read in the middle of the night due to the pain, I have company with me.

So we long ago decided to design our lives around our dogs, vacations include our dogs, and so on.

I understand all that you've written, and I can respect those choices, it's just not for me. Guess I'm just too needy.

12-16-2013 12:06 AM