Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Regular CPAP or ASV
Regular CPAP or ASV
I started feeling tired again even though my CPAP data was showing the sleep apnea was under control.

I convinced my doctor to let me try ASV and felt that I was much better rested after using the ASV compared to CPAP.

I have attached some data for 1 night each of ASV and CPAP. Does the data explain why I would be feeling so much better on the ASV or should the CPAP be sufficient?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Regular CPAP or ASV
Going just by the data I’m seeing here, the ASV sample shows reduced Clear Airway events vs the CPAP. That just means that the ASV is doing what it’s intended to do.

Some possible problems with this scenario you’ve presented here in attempts to answer your question:

This is a very small sample size for both machines. It’s better to see multiple days to view trends. There’s lots of variables involved, much more than 2 separate machines. Realistically even if the machine, settings, mask, etc. were left the same, no 2 nights can give identical results data, but there will be trends and patterns that should be recognizable.

How were things on the CPAP? You’re stating that you were getting tired again. What else might have changed? How long were you using the CPAP before deciding to switch machines? How many Clear Airway events were showing in the recent past? How new is the CPAP?

Certainly a higher level machine should be better but only if it’s truly needed should it be considered. Realistically you should consider all optimizations possible before entertaining a different machine.

If it turns out that you need the ASV, you’ll certainly get great results. The above things I’ve brought out aren’t intended to persuade you against the ASV if you need it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Regular CPAP or ASV
On your AutoSet turn on your "Pressure" on tour Pressure chart. SleepyHead has a bug that continually turns it off. It appears that you are using EPR on the AutoSet and when trying to reduce Central Apneas that is not always a good thing. You also want to show Flow Limits. Flow Limits can bring to light issues that don't show in the AHI readings.

Set your AutoSet to Min pressure = 5 and Max pressure = 5 and let us know what your EPR is set at, my guess in 1. then try it and post results. The next change would be to increase EPR with adjusting your other settings to emulate the PS you are using on the ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Haven't tried to sleep with it but regular breathing while awake is nice too. erouting 2 523 08-23-2023, 01:34 PM
Last Post: erouting
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,626 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Found regular CPAP therapy more comfortable: Phaleronic 0 579 02-12-2022, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 22 7,318 09-15-2021, 01:59 PM
Last Post: DaveCar
  Felt amazing on first night of therapy, but regular after that NoddingHacker 1 536 07-15-2021, 01:01 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Someone be so kind as to explain Gel nasal mask vs regular nasal mask gwc2795 12 3,056 04-27-2018, 05:53 AM
Last Post: gwc2795
  Sleep Study Question-Regular Auto/Bipap bluemom51 4 1,300 09-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Last Post: bluemom51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.