Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Relating a good DME experience
Relating a good DME experience
I have read many people describe their unhappy experience with DMEs. I would like to describe my DME experience with which I have been very pleased.

My wife has had very good luck with VERUS HEALTHCARE LLC. They are part of the Competitive Bidding Program. They accept the Medicare-approved amount as payment in full for all claims for the category. They were on the Medicare list when I put in my zip code even though they are 700 miles away. They also handle our secondary insurance, Tricare for life.

Everything was done by phone or email and promptly and they followed up with the doctor. We sent them by email a copy of the sleep study, the doctor's office notes and the prescription. They handled everything else. There was one hold-up. They needed a signature on the prescription and not simply the words that it was "e-signed". They sent the doctor their form with the info for him to sign, he didn't want to sign their form, so he re-wrote the prescription, signed and faxed it back. Verus overnighted my wife's PRS1 560 and the tap-pap and heated humidifier and modem. They use recorded phone lines and have been very courteous and helpful.

I now get my supplies from them also. They have been very responsive. For us, it has been excellent service; however, you don't have someone come out to your house and "fit you" or explain the equipment. They do have respiratory therapists but neither of us have had a need to seek their advice - so I can't comment on that aspect of their support. However, based on their other dealings, I would expect it to be good.

There is one other thing that I have learned about Medicare funding requirements. For the DME to get paid by Medicare, the prescription must be written by an individual enrolled in the Provider Enrollment Chain and Ownership System (PECOS). In other words, if a physician does not have an approved enrollment record in PECOS, Medicare will not pay for home health services provided to that physician's patients.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Relating a good DME experience
Happy for you but I wonder by saying it "out loud" if you haven't hexed yourself?
Too-funny
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Also a VERUS user, as they bought out the original company that I was using. Mostly excellent service, so far [knock on American authentic hardwood desk.]

Good to know about PECOS. That could explain why the change in MDs for me caused some delays with my new machine getting shipped.

No problems otherwise with Medicare and supplemental; everything has been covered so far anyhow.
Post Reply Post Reply
My local DME (Holland Medical) is an offshoot of Rotech Corporation, a national firm. A few years ago, my BiLevel machine died while I was vacationing in Montana 2000 miles from home. I called back to Holland DME in Kentucky and explained my problem. They called back to me within five minutes with a name and street address of an affiliate in Bozeman, Montana about forty miles away from my location.. The Bozeman firm faxed back to Kentucky and verified my account and prescription and fitted me with a Respironics BiPAP machine on the spot with no payment at all, and told me to go in to the Holland DME when I got back home to take care of the paper work.

Similarly, I was provided a new nasal mask when my mask broke while I was in Orlando, Florida. Again, no big commotion whatever.
I was treated competently with an absolute minimum of red tape.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad you had a good experience!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had mediocre service from the DME that my sleep doc sent my prescription to, plus they were located on the other side of the city, through 30 miles of screaming traffic. After about a month I returned the PRS1 that the doc had prescribed and bought the same model on my local Craigslist for cash, and switched to Care Medical (now Norco). My doc was happy to transfer my prescription and give me a copy for future purchases online. Norco has given me outstanding service and I am happy to recommend them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use DME, and they have been very good so far (knock on wood). Call every 3 months to check for supplies, and when I tell them I am good with what I have (e.g. tubing) they don't push to sell.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 102 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 199 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.