Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Relief from PVCs and waking with a fast heartbeat, how long after starting CPAP?
Relief from PVCs and waking with a fast heartbeat, how long after starting CPAP?
Hi,

I was "diagnosed" with sleep apnea 10 years ago by my electrophysiologist during an ablation procedure to correct a congenital supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) condition.  But, I never did anything about it because I didn't really notice any symptoms.

Late last year, some of the PSVT symptoms returned.  At that point, I scheduled a sleep study, and sure enough, I did have mild obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). I got an auto CPAP machine in January, and I've been using it since.

The most disturbing symptom that returned was waking up in the middle of the night with a fast (but normal) heartbeat, that would devolve into what the cardiologist who read my Halter monitor described as "salvos of PACs".  I have been assured multiple times that I will survive these, but at the time it's happening, it doesn't feel like it.

I also get lots of PVCs (premature ventricular contractions).  I used to get PVCs only when I was coming down with a cold or was under a lot of stress.  Now I seem to have them all of the time.

The CPAP machine and some weight loss seems to have eliminated the OSA, but according to the data I'm seeing from OSCAR, I have now developed quite a case of periodic breathing.  I didn't have this in my early days back in January and February.

I take a betablocker, atenolol, before bed to keep my heart from joining in the adrenaline party the rest of my body seems to be having every so often throughout the night, but I am still waking up with an adrenaline rush.  So something is happening.  I bought a heart EKG monitor to record what's happening overnight, and I'm not seeing any arrhythmias that correspond to prior to the times I wake up.  So it's not that.

I figure that the PVCs are telling me something, like sneezing is telling you something.

So my question is, for anyone who has seen relief from PVCs and/or waking up with a fast heartbeat, how long after you started using your CPAP did it take?

For anyone that has had the problem of waking up with a fast heartbeat while using their CPAP, how did you resolve it?

I'm wondering if I need a machine that will help me breath during those times I have the shallow breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Relief from PVCs and waking with a fast heartbeat, how long after starting CPAP?
I don't have the expertise to answer your questions, but I would make two points.

It takes a while to adapt to CPAP therapy, for a lot of us. So many of these problems may subside as you adapt.

Secondly, to answer your question about the need for a more sophisticated machine that will help you breathe, we would need to see your OSCAR charts. You can download OSCAR for free (there's a link at the top of this web page) and then post your charts here. Take a look in the Software Support Forum for directions.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Relief from PVCs and waking with a fast heartbeat, how long after starting CPAP?
Thanks for the quick reply.

In addition to the overnight EKG monitor, I also bought a smartwatch that will monitor my oxygen levels. The watch hasn't caught anything lower than 96%. But then, it isn's an iWatch.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have PVCs, diagnosed about 2 months or so ago. My cardiac doc thinks PAP therapy is OK to mix in and should not negatively impact the heart or affect PVCs either way. I was most recently on a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. It didn't bother the PVC issue. And I can get PVCs, palpitations can show up randomly, any time of the day, and last 5-30 min. I am on these from the cardiac doc: low dose aspirin for blood thinning, Diltiazem for high blood pressure, and Rosuvastatin to lower bad cholesterol.

I have not been told how to address the PVC except sit still and wait it out. I'll reiterate the doc was OK with my PVC and an ASV, but I have to get a ventilator due to COPD.

PS comments from the cardiac doctor seems to indicate PAP therapy of some sort may be better for the heart health in light of PVCs and apnea. He didn't suggest me stop PAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you'll probably need that low pressure number up closer to 7-8 as your Respironics is slow to respond to events. This chart isn't too bad, but each night is different, and apnea events are eventually going to sneak past the Respironics before it can respond.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 118 Yesterday, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 160 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 292 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 262 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 193 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.