Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reluctance to sell a ASV machine
Reluctance to sell a ASV machine
I do not understand the reluctance of some sellers of these machines! 
. I wanted to pay cash. I have a bipap machine prescription already. Can someone offer some info on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reluctance to sell a ASV machine
Some of the sellers, especially new machines, are backdoor sales from suppliers that are legitimate distributors. They don't want to release advanced ventilators to people without prescriptions for fear of being reported. These businesses may be audited to match machines with prescriptions. Having a BiPAP script is quite different from one for a ventilator. If your doctor is cooperative and understands you know what you're doing, he might provide the script even for off-book use.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.

However, if they have one for sale, they have a legal obligation to confirm that you have a prescription for ASV.
That's true for ALL xPAP machines although many sellers don't seem to care.

The thing about ASV is that there are two studies looking into the safety of ASV and its possible impacts on certain people with certain heart issues.

The past study seemed to show that there was a risk for people with Left Ventricle Ejection Fractions below a certain value.
The more recent ongoing study is not yet published but it seems to be reaching a conclusion that the first study was a false alarm.

So maybe the sellers are simply following the rules and being cautious.
If they sell you a machine and you don't have a prescription for it they can theoretically get into trouble.
It's probably a safety thing and a legal thing.

EDIT: sleeprider and i were typing at the same time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was talking to my sleep doctor this week and he brought up the Resmed ejection rate study. Basically he felt it was more of a litigation tactic than an actual cause effect of ASV.

He said he did have to notify about 15 patients of the Resmed warning.

Since it is technically still in effect, it does pose an issue to Resmed and providers as there are more than a few lawyers all too eager to pursue a class action lawsuit regardless of any merit.

It is really big business to find a potential issue and then advertise to amass prospective clients to file a suit.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
ASV or ambulance chaser, same thing. Just in case apnea alone didn't make life difficult, jump through some hoops before we'll think you might need the ASV. Ah you jumped through, too good to need it. :) happy Thursday

:coffee:
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It turns out that my clinician decided that i needed a aircurve 10 bilevel and that the asv would never ever be covered by my insurance because of the cost.  They set me up today at three to receive my machine at no cost to me and told me that I would be renting this for the next thirteen months then it would be mine. No further questions were allowed at that time and told me that all my questions would be answered at  the meeting to receive the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Feedsack, what makes you think ASV is a better solution?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
After reading numerous articles and doing some semblance of research i thought with-as many instances of periodic breathing and some feeling still of sudden startle while sleeping the machine couldnt hurt me but indeed help
Post Reply Post Reply
I think if you can move from a Philips to a Resmed your problems might be solved. We use the ASV for central and complex apnea. When I used the Philips System One I would record some periodic breathing. It was totally fixed with less drastic measures using the Airsense 10 Autoset or Aircurve Vauto. It will work out fine with the right device.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I trialed a Phillips Dreamstation Auto Bipap and it showed me as having ~20% periodic breathing. I bought a used Resmed ASV and feel so much better vs a Resmed Autoset which is what I was officially prescribed. My doc was happy with the results on the ASV but did remind me about the LVEF study.

I get the feeling that many docs shy away from it due to the cost, even if it may make you feel better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,166 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  How to sell a used CPAP machine Sleep Tide 11 3,339 11-01-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Sleep Tide
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,884 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,353 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question How can I sell brand new DreamStation 2? dk2011 4 3,973 02-06-2022, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,805 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  How to sell used CPAP machine SamStamport 5 3,383 06-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.