Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RemStar APAP 560 pressure
Question 
RemStar APAP 560 pressure
Hi, 
New member here, first post, although I've been using a PAP for 15ish years.  Recently I had the notion to check my pressure.  The only way I know is on the display on the top of the machine.  When I turn it on, the readout says 11.5 Cm H2O which is correct.  If I block the hose, the readout doesn't change.  Still says 11.5  That doesn't bother me a lot, but there is no difference in the sound, which I would expect to hear if the pressure at the mask increased.  That is what should happen if my breathing was blocked, isn't it?  

Not that it should matter, but I use a F&P Brevida nasal pillows mask.

If there is a better place to post this, or a search function I should have used, I plead ignorance.   Thanks

Thanks,

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed APAP 560 pressure
(03-29-2018, 01:56 PM)MikeyT Wrote: Hi, 
New member here, first post, although I've been using a PAP for 15ish years.  Recently I had the notion to check my pressure.  The only way I know is on the display on the top of the machine.  When I turn it on, the readout says 11.5 Cm H2O which is correct.  If I block the hose, the readout doesn't change.  Still says 11.5  That doesn't bother me a lot, but there is no difference in the sound, which I would expect to hear if the pressure at the mask increased.  That is what should happen if my breathing was blocked, isn't it?  

If there is a better place to post this, or a search function I should have used, I plead ignorance.   Thanks

Thanks,

Mike

If I understand what you are asking, then the answer would be No. The pressure should not increase if you are blocking the hose. The machine would assume that you have stopped breathing or no breath initiated (as in a Clear Airway).

The Cpap will not increase pressure in response to a CA, so probably would be the same scenario as blocking the air flow.

Download the free #SleepyHead software if you are able. This will show you much more data than on your machine display.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2018, 02:07 PM)OpalRose Wrote:

Thanks,

Mike

If I understand what you are asking, then the answer would be No.  The pressure should not increase if you are blocking the hose.  The machine would assume that you have stopped breathing or no breath initiated (as in a Clear Airway).  

The Cpap will not increase pressure in response to a CA, so probably would be the same scenario as blocking the air flow.

Download the free Sleepy Head software if you are able.  This will show you much more data than on your machine display.

I would have thought the opposite, that if the hose was blocked, then the machine would see an obstructed airway.     Huhsign    I can be educated, but I have to see where your information comes from.  I'm going to Sleepy Head now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most machines send Pressure Pulses to distinguish between an Obstructive, Hypopnea, or a Clear Airway event, and will raise pressure accordingly.

If you experience an Obstructive, the airway is open, and there is an attempt to breathe, then the machine will raise pressure.

With a Clear Airway event, the airway is open, but there is no attempt to breathe, then your machine will not raise pressure.
Note:  CA's are treated by an ASV machine.

A Hypopnea is a partial collapse of the airway, and usually results in arousals. (The machine will also raise pressure.)

I'm not sure the machine can detect anything if you are blocking the hose.

Below, more reading for your pleasure.  Smile

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...efinitions
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks,

Mike

Mike your machine is a Philips Respironics System One 60 Series Auto CPAP, most commonly referred to as PRS1 Auto CPAP.  This machine offers full efficacy data that is accessible with #Sleepyhead software, which is free and very detailed.  If you download the program and install it on a Windows or Mac computer, you can upload the SD card and see second by second therapy results for your machine, including pressure.  

When you block the hose on an CPAP the machine is designed to maintain constant pressure.  As with an apnea, it will not increase pressure during the event, but maintains the same pressure until the event ends, then if Auto pressure is enabled, it will increase the pressure by about 1.5 cm.  So there will be no increase in fan speed or pressure when you block the flow. This is normal behavior. 

I hope you will download the software and join us on Apnea Board.  There is a lot of details the casual CPAP user is not aware of, and it won't be long before you become and expert and that can make a big difference in how you feel with the therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2018, 05:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:

Thanks,

Mike

Mike your machine is a Philips Respironics System One 60 Series Auto CPAP, most commonly referred to as PRS1 Auto CPAP.  This machine offers full efficacy data that is accessible with SleepyHead software, which is free and very detailed.  If you download the program and install it on a Windows or Mac computer, you can upload the SD card and see second by second therapy results for your machine, including pressure.  

When you block the hose on an CPAP the machine is designed to maintain constant pressure.  As with an apnea, it will not increase pressure during the event, but maintains the same pressure until the event ends, then if Auto pressure is enabled, it will increase the pressure by about 1.5 cm.  So there will be no increase in fan speed or pressure when you block the flow. This is normal behavior. 

I hope you will download the software and join us on Apnea Board.  There is a lot of details the casual CPAP user is not aware of, and it won't be long before you become and expert and that can make a big difference in how you feel with the therapy.

Thanks, Sleeprider.  It seems that I had no idea how these things are controlled   I have signed up for Sleepyhead, and will soon be looking there for answers.  Thanks for the information!

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
These machines are pretty smart. When the CPAP is used in a breathing circuit there is intentional venting through the mask. So when it detects a complete blockage, it just slows the fan and maintains pressure. It may or may not flag an event, but if you're using @Sleepyhead, you would see the flow-rate go to zero. In normal auto CPAP therapy, the fan speed runs faster during inhale and pressure rises, even as you withdraw air from the circuit. During exhale, the mask vents CO2 and the machine slows flow but maintains pressure. Flow and pressure are separate entities and it is not like a vacuum cleaner that reves up when air-flow is blocked. Once you see the data, I think you will be amazed at what has been going on all these years.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2018, 07:49 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: These machines are pretty smart.  When the CPAP is used in a breathing circuit there is intentional venting through the mask. So when it detects a complete blockage, it just slows the fan and maintains pressure.  It may or may not flag an event, but if you're using @Sleepyhead, you would see the flow-rate go to zero.  In normal auto CPAP therapy, the fan speed runs faster during inhale and pressure rises, even as you withdraw air from the circuit.  During exhale, the mask vents CO2 and the machine slows flow but maintains pressure.  Flow and pressure are separate entities and it is not like a vacuum cleaner that reves up when air-flow is blocked.   Once you see the data, I think you will be amazed at what has been going on all these  years.

Thanks  I'm sure I will be surprised.  I just find it counter-intuitive.  It would seem to me that the macine uses pressure to maintain an open airway, and if the airway is blocked that more pressure would open it.  I havwe a lot to learn, I guess.

Again, thanks Sleeprider,

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,227 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 154 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 227 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 927 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 645 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 135 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.