Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RemStar Auto 90% Pressure question
RemStar Auto 90% Pressure question
I've been on cpap for the past 10 plus years. I was issued a Sullivan "lightning" around 1999 and had it until recently when I purchased a RemStar Auto a month ago. I can't believe how much CPAP has changed over the years. Sad thing is I'm losing muscle mass in my chest since I don't have to exhale against high pressure...love that cflex!

My question is in the "info" screen there is a section that is identified as "90% pressure" My pressure was set to 10 with auto up to 20. After 30 days the 90% reading states pressures of up to 11.9 were being used, so I upped my pressure to 11 to compensate for the change. I was expecting a closer reading to my set starting pressure but now its reading 90% pressure of 12.9 is being used.

Should I up it again? Ideally, shouldn't the "90% pressure" reading be the starting pressure, or will it go up higher if I raise it again?

Currently my AHI is .8 for the past 30 days. I find that I'm dreaming like never before, but find myself waking up several times a night still.

Sorry for the long post, I've been lurking here and really enjoying the forum since I registered. Bunch of great people here!

Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RemStar Auto 90% Pressure question
the 90%P is the pressure been AT and BELOW for 90% of the time and higher for the other 10%
to know how long stayed at the 90%P ...you need to look at the software pressure graph
if your machine is system one auto 550p than you can use sleepyhead software. Sleep-well
here is the link to the thread and the download link
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-JediMark

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bobshouse, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! Hang in there for more suggestions as I din't know the answer to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2012, 07:22 PM)Bobshouse Wrote: I've been on cpap for the past 10 plus years. I was issued a Sullivan "lightning" around 1999 and had it until recently when I purchased a RemStar Auto a month ago. I can't believe how much CPAP has changed over the years. Sad thing is I'm losing muscle mass in my chest since I don't have to exhale against high pressure...love that cflex!

Your profile says your machine is the Auto with A-Flex, but you didn't specify whether you actually have it set to A-Flex. You can set your machine to a single pressure like a CPAP machine, or let it use its algorithms to determine the best pressure.

(09-30-2012, 07:22 PM)Bobshouse Wrote: My question is in the "info" screen there is a section that is identified as "90% pressure" My pressure was set to 10 with auto up to 20. After 30 days the 90% reading states pressures of up to 11.9 were being used, so I upped my pressure to 11 to compensate for the change. I was expecting a closer reading to my set starting pressure but now its reading 90% pressure of 12.9 is being used.
Should I up it again? Ideally, shouldn't the "90% pressure" reading be the starting pressure, or will it go up higher if I raise it again?

If you have your machine set to Auto you can set a low and a high pressure (e.g., 5 to 15 cm. H2O) and the machine will raise or lower the pressure as needed during the night. If you use software like SleepyHead you can see what pressures it used during the night. Eventually you will see the lowest and highest it gets to, and use that to determine the best pressure for you. It can take months of tweaking to get the optimum pressures for yourself. There has been a lot of discussion her about the amount of range there should be between the lowest and highest. Also, it is best to be scientific and make one small change and live with it for a couple of weeks to see the results of that change. Don't change several things at the same time because then you can't tell which change caused the results that you get.

(09-30-2012, 07:22 PM)Bobshouse Wrote: Currently my AHI is .8 for the past 30 days. I find that I'm dreaming like never before, but find myself waking up several times a night still
Sorry for the long post, I've been lurking here and really enjoying the forum since I registered.

An AHI of 0.8 is great. But you need to give it a couple weeks to see if it continues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seeing all of the AHI's I've seen posted of less than 1 make me quite envious. The best results I got with either of my APAPs were in the 7.5 to 11 range - often more than 14.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,280 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,637 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 251 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 877 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.