Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Has anyone visualized mask vent CO2 washout with a vape?
Has anyone visualized mask vent CO2 washout with a vape?
I've got a lot of idle curiosity about how this gear we use every night works. Has anyone tried inhaling from a vape pen* and exhaling out their mask to see how the mask washout works? Seems to me that with clear masks this would be interesting to see, and I'm wondering if there's a video of someone doing it since I do not vape, nor plan on it. I'm curious about how quick the washout is, how much of our exhaled breath, if any, goes down the tube past the vent holes, etc., but not enough to take up vaping just to find out :-)

*preferably vape juice-only so you don't stain the mask, or your lungs with nicotine :-D
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anyone visualized mask vent CO2 washout with a vape?
Well you have a constant vent rate going out of the mask so I'd say it all gets expelled immediately.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Has anyone visualized mask vent CO2 washout with a vape?
Constant flow through the system and a designed in leak / exhaust rate. Unless you block the exhaust ports by burying your face in a pillow, it should clear out fairly readily.

For example, the Resmed F20 has a designed leak rate of 41 L/min at 12 cm H20 (just grabbed a mid-level pressure for the comparison from the Resmed user's manual). Normal minute volume while resting is 5-8 L/min.... so the machine is purging between 5x and 8x the volume you're actually breathing every minute while on CPAP. Washout should be pretty quick.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 465 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,787 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,413 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 702 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  [Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30 Catherine101 179 36,179 05-06-2023, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Jay Belmont

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.