Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Remedy for mouth dropping open?
Remedy for mouth dropping open?
I fall asleep on my right side with my mouth closed and my tongue against the roof of my mouth. But I always wind up on my back, and sometimes my mouth drops open, and my tongue falls away from the roof and air rushes out. That always awakens me. Are there any tried and true remedies for this? I looked at a chin strap, but I don't know whether I could get used to one. Maybe I need a full face mask.

Anyone have experience with this problem?
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Remedy for mouth dropping open?
(12-19-2014, 06:55 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I fall asleep on my right side with my mouth closed and my tongue against the roof of my mouth. But I always wind up on my back, and sometimes my mouth drops open, and my tongue falls away from the roof and air rushes out. That always awakens me. Are there any tried and true remedies for this. I looked at a chin strap, but I don't know whether I could get used to one. Maybe I need a full face mask.

Anyone have experience with this problem?
Thanks.

Two common options are a chin strap or full face mask. Another option, which I have not tried myself, is a special mouth guard thing (scientific, I know Tongue). It's similar to a sports one but it has a fitting for the top and bottom portions of your teeth. You heat to make an imprint and it's suppose to keep your jaw together. (They have and air whole through the top and bottom so you can still breathe, but if your main problem is your jaw opening, this might be a solution)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jim,
You could try a chinstrap to see if that would help you, they make all different kinds to choose from. Hopefully you could find one that you can get used to.
Hang in there for more ideas.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Try a chin strap before you go with a FFM. Especially if you like the mask you have. If all you need is to hold your mouth closed, then you can get away with some of the minimalistic ones. Or you can make your own out of an Ace bandage. You want it tight enough that your mouth does not open when you are relaxed but not so tight you cannot chew without effort. Sometimes all it takes is wearing the chin strap a short time and the brain/body gets used to keeping the mouth closed.

The other thing is to prevent yourself from rolling onto your back. You could try a backward t-shirt with a tennis ball in the pocket. Or sew a pocket with a tennis ball in it. Or wear a backpack with stuff in it. Or whatever else you can come up with.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much. I'll call my supplier on Monday. They've been very good to me so far. I wanted to buy a ClimateLine hose, but they just handed me one at no charge and said they hope it helps. So I'm sure they will provide me with a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a full face mask, and use a chinstrap. That's because I still get a bad dry mouth without it. That's why I may get a nasal mask, because I have to have chinstrap, anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do the same thing unless I wear a chinstrap. Not quite got the hang of nasal without one but do fine with one. They arent that big a deal to wear really once you have it adjusted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems like the chin strap pulls the jaw back, but I have a bit of an overbite so that could be coming into play, as my upper, and lower teeth do not line up. It also seems that my mask pushes my jaw down, and the strap tries to compensate for that. Tried a smaller size mask, but did not work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Salty, you may want to look into the PAPcap. It can be fitted to pull the jaw up vs back.

There are a few others that also do that. Look for ones that have less of a chin cup.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The Respironics Premium chin strap will pull your jaw straight up not back. Adjusted right it sits more forward on your head and the rear strap keeps it in place very well. It is a wide strap but its comfortable. I can usually get by with a thinner chin strap now but when I first went to nasal the Premium Strap was a Godsend. You put that sucker on and adjust it and your jaw aint comin open.

I dont have but two teeth upper and lower that actually meet each other an basically no front teeth. If the thing can stop my mouth leaks it should stop anyones.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 384 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 319 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 114 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 810 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.