Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Remedy for red marks from mask?
Remedy for red marks from mask?
My mask is comfortable in use, but I have red marks on my cheeks that never totally go away. What have people done with this problem?
Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Remedy for red marks from mask?
Some have to buy these cushions called Pad A Cheek at
Supplier #31. They have several types to cushion various contact areas, even strap cushions with a variety of colors and patterns.

See if they've got something to help.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those red marks, as you surely understand, are due to pressure.  Too much and/or too long.  Perhaps the remedy suggested by Dave will suffice, and you'll be away to the races. It might be worth a couple of nights with the strap pressure backed off just a smidgen.  

The other thing is that, as our heads move and repose here and there during the night, the headgear might impinge upon facial tissues more than at other times.  For me, back sleeping is okay at first, but I will inevitably end up on my side ere long.  That's when I awaken a time later to feel the tip of my nose firmly pressed into the farthest reach of my nasal mask, or I feel the straps biting into my cheeks.  I simply turn over and start the process anew.  I don't seem to have any lasting redness or marks, at least none that I recall or have remarked upon, or that my wife has pointed out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once I switched to the Bleep, my marks disappeared!  Too-funny

But, seriously, I did find that strap covers helped a LITTLE. I think some people are just more prone to get the marks than others, and it doesn't seem to have to do with facial fullness. My husband has a much fuller face than I do, yet NEVER has had a single mark on his face.

On another note, I remember a cruise we were on a couple of years ago, you could look around the smaller dining room and count the number of people on CPAP by strap marks. The Bleep wasn't out yet but fortunately my marks would pretty much fade by the time I made it to the dining room.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2019, 05:32 PM)kderevan Wrote: My mask is comfortable in use, but I have red marks on my cheeks that never totally go away. What have people done with this problem?

Glad your mask is comfortable!
I've had red marks too. 
I have a tendency to do up my straps too tight.

Old masks. What I've found is that masks deteriorate, and headgear stretches. I can see the result using OSCAR. Numbers get worse. Leakage gets worse. Finally I go get a new mask with new headgear.

The new masks are better for me but don't last as long as the old ones did.

New masks. I go to my DME and they try a mask on me, adjust it, and say: there! Then they go get a brand new mask and sell it to me for much to much money. And of course the head gear hasn't been set right. It's still in the bag!

So I ask them to take it out and adjust it. If they put it on me when I'm sitting in the chair, that's only a start. I always have to adjust it when I'm lying down when I first use a new mask. (And I likely adjust it too tight, and have mask marks!)

Do you use OSCAR? It's incredible. It's easy to use, and the information is really really good. I can finally see what's working, and what's not, using OSCAR.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
For me, it totally depends on which mask I use. This is one reason why I like the P10 - very little contact with my face, thus no visible marks.

From a dermatological point of view, I'd think that keeping hydrated could help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I feel a little sheepish about posting this, because right after I did, I found earlier posts addressing it (should have checked first!). I don't think I can loosen my mask more, but after reading about the padding, I thought- OH I can sew! and I used some leftover soft flannel to make pads for the straps. So now in testing!
Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's OK, we'll overlook your criminal act if you give us coffee. Smile

Best on your no mark mask success.

Seriously, there's no harm in focus on you asking about your scenario.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had pretty good results with home-made strap covers when I was using the P10. For me, the trick was to make them in a taco shape, rather than a tortilla shape, so they wouldn’t be too thick and press hard on my cheekbones. I used snaps to fasten them, with the folded side against the bottom of the strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2019, 10:50 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I had pretty good results with home-made strap covers when I was using the P10. For me, the trick was to make them in a taco shape, rather than a tortilla shape, so they wouldn’t be too thick and press hard on my cheekbones. I used snaps to fasten them, with the folded side against the bottom of the strap.

I am SO confused.  Tacos are made from tortillas. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] AirFit P10 clip leaving marks deputypork 2 503 02-16-2023, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  White stains/marks after cleaning LetMezz 4 1,302 05-01-2022, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,754 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Ladies, anything for mask marks? Utah Desert Rat 20 1,903 01-15-2022, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Utah Desert Rat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.