Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Remember2Breathe's First night new machine
RE: Remember2Breathe's First night new machine
Hi Sleeprider,

Your reply is definitely disconcerting.  I also feel disappointed in the quality of my therapy.  The first hour of "sleep" is the most uncomfortable and usually the most eventful.  I don't fall asleep as easily as I used to nor do I notice a complete lack of daytime sleepiness.  Sometimes I do feel like my nasal passages are more clear after a night of CPAP.

The night before last, my hose and mask frame was still wet, so I slept without CPAP.  I almost feel that I slept more soundly.

I didn't go down to 6, as the cardiologist suggested.  In favor of little steps, I decreased the max pressure to 7 and kept the EPR at 2.  
My AHI more than doubled to 2.85; but my leak rate went way down.  Unfortunately the flow limitation was essentially the same.  I did tell my cardiologist that I was concerned about my flow limitations.  He seemed to think I should focus on AHI and leak rate for now.  And of course, was more skewed towards being happy at relatively good AHI numbers.  I'm not sure he knew or understood much about flow limitation.  Tho he did ask about how I am feeling.  My understanding of how to interpret flow limitation and tidal volume charts is quite sketchy.  (Leak rate was hard enough to understand.)  And what that means to me in regards to my well being.  I need to read the Wikis and Oscar interpretation in more detail but it's not easy to wrap my head around it.

If I in fact do have a complex apnea or severe upper airway resistance, do you have a recommendation?

During my sleep studies, my oxygen level went down in the high '70's.  Should I be trying to get a pulse oximeter that works with Oscar.  Do you think that would shed more light on the situation?

This is frustrating.  I need to focus on prepping my house and affairs for surgery recovery and had hoped that getting used to CPAP would be straightforward and easy once I committed to it.

Do you think a sleep doctor might help with this, or better to proceed on my own for now?

Thanks,

Remember2Breathe

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You have at least equal amount of understanding most sleep doctors do. You have looked at more data than most doctor quacks will look at. On this OSCAR, high leaks and flow limits are prevalent.

YES get a pulse oximeter right away. Being in the 70's is potentially an urgent need to check it. Why didn't the fool of a tech or Dr. Quack not flag that? That is a real issue. I'd be in someone's face about that. I'd not be ugly but definitely I would be telling them with no uncertain terms that this is an unacceptable oversight. I'd look at the Contec CMS 50F a watch like oximeter with a wired finger probe. It's rechargable and will upload to OSCAR.

If complex Apnea then you'd very likely want to be on a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. If it goes the direction of upper airway resistance maybe the VAuto BPAP makes sense.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave,

Actually neither doctor overlooked the oxygen desat.  Both doctors said that that was what really pointed to a need for treatment.

I'll look at that pulse oximeter - thanks for the recommend!

Read a bit more since my last post.  Seems like I should give CAs a bit more time to settle down.  Think you said it could take 3 months.  But I also gather there is a 2% group wherein they don't resolve.

Some of the other issues seem more perplexing.  

Just got cleared by my cardiologist for surgery, so at least heart issues are not in the forefront. Some good news.

Remember2Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
@Sleeprider and Remember2Breathe

I am reading this thread with interest. Looking at the flow limitations here reminds me of this thread by Becker44a 

I notice Remember2Breathe has the For Her, which has the Soft Mode option. What are your thoughts here?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SevereApnea,  

I read Becker's posts with interest.  And admired his patience in his trials with different settings.

I just entered my Clinical Settings menu, the 3 options that I have are CPAP, Autoset and Autoset for Her.  I wonder if I got a slightly older model...hmmm...no Soft Mode.

I do have it set on Autoset for Her.  

Remember2Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
If your machine has it, it should be in the Settings menu:

Have you tried looking under:

MODE > Select Autoset, then...

...scroll down to Comfort > Response, two choices: Std and Soft.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's another bit of info to chew on with a maybe it applies caveat. If you can document CA are causing sleep disruptions, maybe if your doc is good, they can give the idiopathic CA diagnosis. This means unknown in cause CA. That might get CA treatable via ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Severeapnea,
I found it.  Seems to only be an option in Autoset mode.  Think I'll try it tonight.  The lower pressure has done wonders for my leaks but not so much for flow limitation and AHI worse but not really bad.

@Dave - ASV sounds interesting; but from what I read it is contraindicated in folks with moderate to severe COPD.  I think mine may be mild to moderate but probably too close for comfort, if in fact that's true.  It sounds like I may eventually need VAuto but I feel I have to give the Autoset For Her a committed trial first.

And I'm hoping that the CAs will go away as I get more used to my mask and machine.  Didn't you indicate that treatment emergent CAs might go away on their own?  Maybe even taking as long as 2-3 months to resolve?

Remember2Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting thing is I've had ASV when diagnosed with COPD. No sarcasm. The ASV worked for about 2 years but timing issues caused it to become worse. So yes the combo can be a complicated thing. VAuto and CA may well be worse yet. Maybe look up a ResMed ST-A with an iVAPS mode. It's a smaller version of a ventilator/NIV. I'm trying to get doc to see that I need one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you sure that's not overkill?  Maybe I don't get it yet.  My pulmonologist certainly didn't think I need supplemental oxygen.  Or is it more like a different kind of Bipap?

I still want to optimize my treatment if possible with my Airsense 10 Autoset for Her, which I've only been using for one month!

or are you suggesting that I cut to the chase with something more appropriate?

Good luck to you though if you want one now!  They're certainly not cheap. :-)

Remember2Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,375 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 578 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 873 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 922 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Second night with my new AVAPS machine Sleepy Willy 0 474 11-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,868 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,343 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.