Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Remember2Breathe's First night new machine
RE: Remember2Breathe's First night new machine
What were your sleep study stats, like CA etc and counts? Were CA 50% or more of the total? Document your discomfort, symptoms, complaints etc on PAP therapy. Very valuable to get a different machine if needed. Complain to the doc constantly as well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No CAs at all on home sleep studies.  AHI was 10+.  But oxygen desaturation index was 11.7 or 12.5, with lowest desaturation at 75.  Think I uploaded my sleep studies on page 1 or 2 of this thread.

Saw pulmonologist today.  He thinks I may eventually need a thorough sleep study for him to justify a BiPAP or whatever.  But probably won't do until after my shoulder replacement surgery in 2 weeks.

I tried the Soft setting last night that Severeapnea spoke of.  Seems that my flow limitations were a bit better.  Upped pressure a bit also (to 7.4) and leaks were really bad (with new set of nasal pillows).  Yeah, sounds like I need to experiment and document.  For now, writing down in notes in Oscar; but journal probably a good idea.

I think I've solved jaw dropped open big time; but often mouth open a crack to let leaks out.  Don't think cervical collar can solve that.  Might have to try tape for a few weeks to train me (and hopefully could just go back to cervical collar).

You said you thought that VAuto and CAs don't work well together.  Is that always or sometimes?

Fingers crossed my CAs will just decide to leave me after awhile longer.

Remember2Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
I had been given a Respironics DreamStation Auto BPAP in early 2017 right when I joined here. My BPAP experience was terrible. Basing it on that, your BPAP experience may be similar. Unfortunate if you're wanting insurance to pay you might have to try it. Again from my experience is note the things that are bad, the failures. I felt with BPAP 1 week and by that Friday if called the pulmonary office and was getting an urgent need visit. I told the nurse that BPAP was terrible and I took my version of the sleep study and recalling what Sleeprider said I'm my thread, I got her to look at 124 CA to 24 Obstructive and I asked shouldn't I be on ASV... It began there and over 2 months later I finally got it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting.  Sorry you had such a bad experience!

My CAs are more like 6-12 per night.  Often clusters in first 1/2 hour or hour of sleep, or last hour before wake up.  0-5 RERAs, 0-3 hypopnea, or obstructive per night.

More concerned about flow limitations, and leaks now and the not yet reported on Oscar 
ODI.

You had 124 CAs in one night?

Remember to Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, that was at a diagnostic sleep study. One CA was 90 seconds. Dummy doc... Obstructive Apnea here's a BPAP. Instant disaster. According to old doc it was my fault if CPAP wouldn't work. Until another doc and nurse in his office told him I needed ASV for centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,172 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 555 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Second night with my new AVAPS machine Sleepy Willy 0 447 11-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,793 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.